Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is what the tampon tax should fund?

(8 Posts)
AuntieStella Thu 03-Dec-15 16:47:32

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34925238

I've seen lots of critical comment on a couple of threads about the choices of refuges as the recipients of the windfall of taking tampon tax out of general government revenue pending all the EU renegotiation.

I think what Amy Peake 'the unlikely sanitary pad missionary' has done is amazing. And it's not just largesse, it's setting up the means of production.

This is the need:

"About one in four of Zaatari's residents need sanitary pads. The UN does distribute them now and again to women aged 14 to 45, but there are never enough to go round.
On top of that, Peake discovered, there is a desperate need for incontinence pads for the many wounded, elderly and disabled people - and traumatised children. "The children are really suffering," says Peake. "The problem is that the mothers have been trying to cope for so long that basically they've given up. Night after night of urine and they can't keep them clean. It's soul-destroying."

Emmmder2015 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:51:50

Yes YABU. There should be NO tampon tax. It's not up to the menstruating part of society, that incidentally is essentially the majority of its lowest paid, to be funding anything.

YANBU that those suffering IMMENSELY should be helped though. I'd say that if we forgo just one bomb that we're now dropping on their hometowns, we'd be able to fund a LOT of sanitary products.

AuntieStella Thu 03-Dec-15 19:15:20

Oh dear.

I hadn't meant to go over the rights and wrongs of EU tax law (again), but start with the position as actually exists, with a windfall to be spent.

I thought this is a lovely project.

And wouldn't be subject to the same reservations that led to refuges being an unpopular choice in the threads I'd seen.

Emmmder2015 Thu 03-Dec-15 19:24:09

Oh, sorry if it's going over something (again). That must be tedious.

AuntieStella Thu 03-Dec-15 19:39:24

Not at all tedious.

I'd just intended something slightly different, and I posted the second time to clarify, and to bump to see if anyone else had any thoughts. Seems not.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 03-Dec-15 20:26:14

Nope, women earn less and lay more. We should be reimbursed the tampon tax, given the 20% pay that we miss then we can choose to support causes as we wish.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 03-Dec-15 20:26:32

*pay more blush

walkingtheplank Thu 03-Dec-15 20:49:17

I knew you'd be talking about this project when I saw the title.

It would be an excellent use of the tax income.

If my tampons must be taxed In happy for my expenditure to help other women to have an easier period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now