Talk

Advanced search

To think M&S should reconsider their branding

(45 Posts)
SomethingUnpredictable Sat 28-Nov-15 05:43:11

on this?

I was Christmas shopping yesterday and spotted loads of fragrance/body wash products with this branding confused. It was all half price but surely they wont sell much with that name? I understand that this was probably thought up before the Islamic extremist group came into the public eye... But there's no way someone at M&S HQ hasn't noticed and suggested renaming it, surely?

RNBrie Sat 28-Nov-15 05:47:15

Isis was the goddess of health and healing long before some nutbags decided to start blowing things up.

But yes, it probably would be wise to change its name. I studied at a beauty school called Isis and it's changing its name too. Sad.

Speederman Sat 28-Nov-15 05:47:40

Yanbu!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 28-Nov-15 05:49:32

I'd prefer it if we started calling them daesh and left the word Isis to fade back into its prior associations

SomethingUnpredictable Sat 28-Nov-15 05:52:00

Really Brie? I didn't know that and you're right about the beauty school- that is sad.

Oysterbabe Sat 28-Nov-15 06:00:57

There was a story in the paper yesterday about a little girl called Isis after the Egyptian goddess and nutella were refusing to put her name on a jar.

BlueThursday Sat 28-Nov-15 06:31:22

I think the name Isis will end up being one that can never be claimed back, like Adolf

Chaby Sat 28-Nov-15 06:47:23

Sorry, I get where you are coming from but I think Yabu-

M&S have stocked this brand for over 20 years and it refers to the Egyptian goddess.

The terrorist group goes by many names (Isis, isil, is, daesh) Isis is not used by the UN, the British government, the U.S. Government or the BBC.

I can't help but feel if we start changing any thing that has any slight reference to them, even when clearly not linked, we are giving them power needlessly.

ChocolateFuzz Sat 28-Nov-15 07:11:57

The swatstika was a symbol of auspiciousness in hinduism, buddhism and jainism before the nazis stole it. Should they have to change it?

SaucyJack Sat 28-Nov-15 07:21:50

It's one of my DD's middle names.

We have no plans to rebrand her any time soon.

MiaowTheCat Sat 28-Nov-15 07:24:18

Could well be that it was half price to clear it off prior to a rebrand to be honest. I'd buy it if it was cheap and I was in M+S in a needing smellies mood - the name wouldn't probably cross my mind.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 28-Nov-15 07:27:34

We've got em bang to rights. March all isis members to prison for breach of copyright. Apocalypse averted!

PixieChops Sat 28-Nov-15 07:30:44

I agree with most on here, I understand in a sense but yabu- I'm pagan and it infuriates me that some twats have taken the name Isis and used it for things that are incomprehensible.
Isis is a very popular pagan Goddess (obviously stemming from ancient Egyptian times) and I know this issue has annoyed many of them.
I agree- let's call those other bastards Daesh and retrieve Isis back! Isis is a healing goddess who incorporates love and is Mother Earth.

Enjolrass Sat 28-Nov-15 07:30:32

Personally I don't think they should.

It's a word that has been round for literally ages.

I think they will change it after they have sold it off.

What are Egyptian monuments meant to do? Remove all trace of the ancient Egyptians most important goddess?

I don't want it to go the same way as Adolph, but I suspect it might.

soulsurfer Sat 28-Nov-15 07:35:36

M&S Isis has been around for decades. Why should they change it because of those idiots?

soulsurfer Sat 28-Nov-15 07:39:19

And - it's a copy of L'Eau D'Issey perfume so no I don't think it'd make sense to change the name as then it would lose the link to the 'original'!

guidinglight Sat 28-Nov-15 07:53:37

There's an independent school near me that has 'endorsed by ISIS' on its sign - I keep wondering if that will get changed.

NorksAreMessy Sat 28-Nov-15 08:06:50

A little shop in Malvern has now changed its name. It was called Isis, but after Russell Howard laughed at it on TV, the shop is now called Juno. smile

whirlybird42 Sat 28-Nov-15 08:14:51

We were shopping the other day and a lady was shrieking across the store at her daughter. Who was called Isis. Several people visibly winced.

A shame as it's a pretty name without the connotations. I genuinely don't know what I'd do.

Maudofallhopefulness Sat 28-Nov-15 08:15:11

I think we should keep Isis for all it's traditional meanings, goddesses, rivers, Downton Abbey dog, Bob Dylan songs. Isis the terrorists are called loads of things, ISIL, Daesh, IS and seem to have a new way of being referred to every week.

Freezingwinter Sat 28-Nov-15 08:17:08

There was a rumour that Isis, the dog in Downton abbey was killed off because of this!! It's a shame because I think it's a really beautiful girly name.

Junosmum Sat 28-Nov-15 08:25:29

I really like the name Isis and I'm very sad I won't be able to use it anymore if we have a daughter.

ivykaty44 Sat 28-Nov-15 08:33:57

Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant

I don't see why m&s ISIS should rebrand

What does ISIS stand for?

Maudofallhopefulness Sat 28-Nov-15 08:36:01

Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

BrendaandEddie Sat 28-Nov-15 08:36:27

oh god this is OLD OLD NEWS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now