To think Lego Dimensions are way off the mark?

(48 Posts)
AtSea1979 Sun 01-Nov-15 13:06:58

Probably should have posted this in Xmas topic.
But DS (aged 10) is desperate for one. Its target is 7-14 year olds. Perfect you'd think?
Doctor Who - too scarey
Back to the future - too sweary
Lord of the rings - no, just no

Lego, why oh why can't you do a pack in something that is relevant for primary aged children?
Would prefer he had the Disney Infinity but he likes building Lego!

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Sun 01-Nov-15 13:10:43

Seriously? You know there are other children other than your own that may find it quite suitable.
None of my childrem, from 7-14, find it too scary or sweary or "just no", whatever that means. Lego dimensions is great.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 01-Nov-15 13:17:07

The age grading is to do with the complexity and safety of the toy, not the parental considered appropriateness of the subject matter, which would just be a crazy minefield to get into.

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Sun 01-Nov-15 13:24:27

Oh, and they do packs for the Simpsons, Scooby Doo, Ninjago, Chima and the Lego Movie, amongst others. All suitable for primary aged children.
So what are you complaining about?

Hygge Sun 01-Nov-15 13:26:58

My parents have bought one for DS (who will be three months shy of his 7th birthday at Christmas when he gets it from them) and I can't imagine that it's going to be scary or sweary.

DS already plays the other Lego games, Star Wars, Indiana Jones etc, on the xBox and they are fine.

He may need a little help with the building, and I will definitely be watching for missing parts, but I think that might be the biggest problem, although he is a careful child.

Ultimately, it's up to you what you buy for your child though, so perhaps just buy him some normal lego or get him the Infinity 3 if you think it's better for him.

PinkSquash Sun 01-Nov-15 13:28:20

I've found that the dimensions fulfil a wide age group and they have more than the ones you stated.

MmeGuillotine Sun 01-Nov-15 13:33:20

My 7 and 10 year old love it. They're VERY into Doctor Who, Jurassic World, Lord of the Rings and Portal so think it's amazing and not at all scary or sweary (they can be hilariously prim about swearing so we'd soon know if they thought the language was in any way shocking to them!)

I think it covers a really good and quite novel range of stuff that children and adults might be into but obviously it's not going to be for everyone. smile

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Sun 01-Nov-15 13:33:22

Ours are 7 and 4.

They love Lord of the Rings, Lego Movie, Ninjago, Dr Who.

IMO Lego Dimensions are bang on the mark.

MrsFrankRicard Sun 01-Nov-15 13:34:52

Those of you who have it, is it worth the 80 quid?? I am hoping it comes down in price on black friday as I can't really justify spending that. We have disney infinity 1, 2 and ds is getting 3 and that is reasonably priced.

MmeGuillotine Sun 01-Nov-15 13:40:18

I think it's worth it as they've played with it loads since it arrived! We got Disney Infinity 3 and Lego Jurassic World at the same time (birthday presents for the 7 year old) and I'd say that out of the three, Lego Dimensions has definitely been played with the most.

I was a bit WTAF about the price but the different sets and add on packs are great and I expect they'll have loads more (Indiana Jones? Harry Potter?) coming out. Plus the future packs will all be compatible with the first one which really pisses me off about other similar games, where you have to constantly shell out to upgrade so I suppose in that sense it's actually a bargain? Maybe? ;)

TheoriginalLEM Sun 01-Nov-15 13:43:47

Disney infinity is shit - really really shit!

lego on the other hand!!

Stop being silly

m0therofdragons Sun 01-Nov-15 13:54:47

My 4 year olds love doctor who - too scarey? really?

nf1morethanjustlumpsandbumps Sun 01-Nov-15 14:24:51

DS bought it the day it came out he had enough money saved. He initially bought Scooby Doo and Back to the Future, he has never actually seen the movie but thought the pack was cool.. flying cars. He has also since then got Jurassic World and something else I can't remember as he has had loads of procedures done lately. We will be buying packs for Christmas its far better than Disney Infinity 3 as I somehow ended up with both looking at you DH

Back to the Future is too sweary?

Great Scott!

LyonRoar Sun 01-Nov-15 15:43:44

YABU. I don't think any of the things you mention are unsuitable... my 4yo loves Dr Who and Back to the future, I wouldn't say they are unsuitable for 10yo's....

Anyway, they have the Lego Movie, Scooby Doo, Ninjago and Wizard of Oz ones as well. Also, Super Heroes, Simpsons and Ghostbusters are all coming out soon too. There is a massive range, surely some would be suitable for your DS?

The game itself is absolutely fab, DS loves it and DH and BIL (15) have really enjoyed playing it too.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 01-Nov-15 15:45:03

Well I watched back to the future when I was five so I doubt a Lego version will be sweary as the film isn't!

Dr who is massively relevent to primary school age kinds

Not sure why lord of the rings is just no!

Maybe the line about Disney sums up why you think it's not appropate let him grow up! He's too old for for it!

LucilleBluth Sun 01-Nov-15 15:50:51

Yeah I love that bit of Back to the Future when Doc Calls Marty a c**t.......oh wait a second!

My 14 Year Old DS loves it, I thought he would be too old but no, he plays with his 4 YO sister.

Jasonandyawegunorts Sun 01-Nov-15 15:55:22

HEY you get you Damn hands Off her!
Do you relly think i should use the word damn?

PigeonPie Sun 01-Nov-15 15:59:46

OP I can understand your reservations, but there are a lot which are suitable and they will enjoy such as the Lego Movie packs. It looks so expandable and something they'll grow in to.

We've just got most of a PS4 with my Nectar points and the DSs are really enjoying playing the Lego Movie game so I think that MIL is going to buy the DSs the initial Dimensions pack and game for them to share for Christmas and then we might get them each an additional set (and they might get DH the portal set!).

I think that the Lego games are well designed and there are enough puzzles etc to make them think for some time!

ALemonyPea Sun 01-Nov-15 16:00:09

Do they actually swear on the game? Or are you basing it on the films? If so, it's not a requirement that they watch the films just because they have the game piece.

DS3 has asked for Lego dimensions for Christmas. I dislike the price, but I'm hoping the reviews are correct.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 01-Nov-15 16:06:37

In the UK Damn has been the mildest word in all survey of swear words for over 20 years, in 1994 BSC report had 78% saying it was "weak", git, bloody and pillock were rated as more severe.

Religious based swear words have also declined in every survey since, so I really doubt many would consider a swear word. So YABU to project your own dislike of the word on to the world, they mostly disagree with you. Fine for you not to use it.

Jasonandyawegunorts Sun 01-Nov-15 16:08:38

Also Marty says do we turn in to "dicks" or something at the end / Start of 2.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Sun 01-Nov-15 16:17:38

jasonandyawegunorts I'm afraid almost no-one thinks calling people dicks is a bad other possibly Richard's who are annoyed at the shortening.

Jasonandyawegunorts Sun 01-Nov-15 16:21:47

The fact that it's taken me ages to think of any would suggest there are only 3 instances in the movie.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 01-Nov-15 16:42:40

Well the fact I read BFG at a similar age and was more put off by the fact Roald Dahl used the adjective bloody ( meaning something covered in blood) than notice that Marty said damn, I think damn is pretty mild!

I agree Dick being offencive is a teenage thing my grandad was called dick never understood why it was amusing.

Too sweary to me would suggest the use of fuck cunt shit etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now