Talk

Advanced search

to think Sainsburys online applications are too tricky!

(18 Posts)
mrsmootoo Wed 08-Jul-15 19:29:18

Is it just me? DD1 applied online for a basic Sainsburys job and had to complete a load of questions about best and worse case responses to different situations. She got notification the next day that she'd failed. I looked at what she'd written and I honestly wouldn't have put anything different - they are really hard to answer! It seems to come down to whether you show initiative, are prepared to tell your colleagues what to do or decide to refer everything back to your Team Leader. Obviously if you were doing the job you would be told how much you could just do on your own, but when you are just presented with a situation it's really hard to know what to do. Does anyone know what the best responses are? Thanks

FoolishFay Thu 09-Jul-15 06:09:53

I did that with my DS a few years ago - I was mortified we'd failed it together! I was running my own business with 25 staff at the time....

So, no advice but yes, it was hard!

Pussycatbow Thu 09-Jul-15 06:15:01

Waitrose reject here! Similar scenario.

LilyMayViolet Thu 09-Jul-15 06:17:49

It sounds ridiculous. As you say you would be completing the form not knowing what you were and weren't allowed to do in the job. Much better to actually meet people.

ilovesooty Thu 09-Jul-15 07:26:30

The Aldi application process is similar - pretty standard for supermarkets now I think.

Sternin Thu 09-Jul-15 08:24:13

I have a suspicion these tests are completely pointless and the "right" answers are selected at random. Retailers just want a seeming legitimate way of trimming down the hundreds of people that apply for a role! Not that I've failed any interviews recently and am bitter, oh no...

Shakey1500 Thu 09-Jul-15 08:25:00

Yes they are!

I've got tons of retail management experience in large, popular stores. Became a SAHM for a couple of years then started re-applying. It was like there'd been a technological deluge in my absence. This new fangled online application. The NEXT one was completely bizarre. You had to identify current trends and the like. Ridiculous set of questions. I failed. And that was that! No redress, nothing. No chance to explain I'd been out the loop but would take me all of one day to catch up on such things. Failed Sainsbury's also. But succeeded with B&Q and I couldn't have identified one end of a screw from t'other. I think it's because I was of a certain age and they had a quota to meet grin

BedTimeNow Thu 09-Jul-15 08:32:05

I've worked for Sainsburys for 5 years as a supervisor and tried to apply for a 2 day a week HR job, failed the questions and the worst thing is my friend that worked in payroll helped me answer those questions!confused

really they're not that great to work for.

RepeatAdNauseum Thu 09-Jul-15 08:37:17

I passed the questions.

I'm fairly sure that all the big supermarkets use these, but they are more as a personality indicator. They employ people who select the patterns of answers that are most likely to make them successful at working there. Obviously there are people that would be great at working there and fail the tests, but they get hundreds of applications and this is an easy, and automatic, way to strip them down to just a few.

If you're borderline and there hasn't been enough "pass" applications, they'll review your experience etc as well - you can technically fail the questions and still get an interview if you have relevant experience and luck is on your side.

PerspicaciaTick Thu 09-Jul-15 08:38:41

Loads of companies do this now and it is a complete barrier for people trying to get back into work. Especially those who don't have computers at home or those who have very basic IT skills. I worked with someone who wanted to be a driver for ASDA - he had 40 years of professional driving experience and knew the area like the back of his hand (taxi driver) but he struggled with the IT skills to let him complete the online form in time.
And most of them ban you from reapplying for six months - which means that if the local big employers are supermarkets, you quickly run out of new jobs to apply for.

whois Thu 09-Jul-15 08:44:18

Tesco reject here!

Managed to get a job in a much more suitable shop with young active staff instead and had a great year working and saving for uni and growing up. So glad I got rejected from tesco!

mrsmootoo Thu 09-Jul-15 13:53:10

Thanks for all your feedback - good to know we are not the only ones! It might be nice if Sainsburys and the other big companies took note...

getdownshep Thu 09-Jul-15 14:00:09

Greg's and Next reject here!
I applied for Next stockroom assistant, failed even though I had plenty of experience actually doing the job.
Greg's was bizarre, mostly about would you serve the long queue of people or keep making sandwichesgrin

WorktoLive Thu 09-Jul-15 14:05:21

I think people who run large supermarkets and the like operate in a totally different world to everyone else.

Everything they do just seems to defy all common sense and is entirely dependent on whether the computer says yes or no, amply demonstrated by PerspicaciaTick's taxi driver friend who should easily be able to get an interview for a supermarket delivey driver and would probably be a good candidate for the job.

Similarly with all the fake conversations that they insist that checkout staff have with customers. Or upselling. McDonalds trying to force you into a large meal when all you want is a burger on its own, or WH Smith offering 'half price' chocolate that still costs twice as much as elsewhere. All pisses everyone off but 'management' seem to think it is essential.

googoodolly Thu 09-Jul-15 14:16:06

The key is to think like a manager, not like a customer, I think. I've passed the Sainsbury's and Tesco ones by doing that. Say what the company would want you to say, not what the customer would want. Sounds stupid, but it appears to be the way round it!

JoannaKirkpatrick Sun 06-Nov-16 23:52:29

Just applied for Sainsbury's job.
My application was accepted first time.
Second time for another post- it was refused.
Any reasons for that?
I might have changed one answer slightly but really?

raspberryrippleicecream Mon 07-Nov-16 00:01:26

My DD has been filling these on for Christmas jobs, some she had interviews for, some she heard nothing. But she hasn't had any failed emails. But they are bizarre. How a 16 year old with no experience could answer! Happily she did get a Christmas job from one.

papayasareyum Mon 07-Nov-16 00:02:05

Next refused my sister(loads of experience but mid forties) but gave almost the same job to my 16 year old daughter. The minimum wage is a fair bit cheaper for 16 year olds. And judging by my local Next, they don't employ many people over 30. Younger=cheaper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now