Talk

Advanced search

To Think Jurassic World is sexist - spoiler

(21 Posts)
thefourgp Sun 21-Jun-15 23:20:08

I just went to see JW and I found the lead female character insulting and disappointing. Laura dern's character was clever, tough, practical and feminine. Bryce Dallas Howard's character was stupid, weak, emotionally unbalanced and gradually undressed. I know it's meant to be easy viewing but it annoyed me. It's one of the highest watched films ever. The lead female could have been soooo much better. The dialogue between the two was cheesy at best. What top boss walks into a crisis meeting and tells their staff to stay calm whilst looking like they're about to cry? Why did she not change into a practical pair of trousers and boots at any point? No way she could have run through a muddy jungle on those heels. Why do they ruin her moment of bravery saving the lead male by making him kiss her and two seconds later her nephews are praising the lead males bravery? Glad I got that off my chest. Lol. I know I'm not being unreasonable.

AuntyMag10 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:24:17

Yanbu, those heels annoyed me throughout the movie.

Parrish Sun 21-Jun-15 23:26:20

Such a disappointing film..

MrsGentlyBenevolent Sun 21-Jun-15 23:35:55

I'm never one to jump to the 'sexism' line, I can usually see beyond the usual feminist gripes. But yanbu, hell my partner said it before I did and he won't notice these things if they hula'd naked in front of him at times. Chris Pratt's character was not much better to be honest. Very Indiana Jones, but without the personality (and I usually think he's great). The part I found most insulting though, was the kids mother. Not only did she cry at least twice before her kids were even in danger, she completely dismissed her sisters high-flying career, and insisted all she needed to do was settle down and pop out a few kids. Yes - because secretly this is what all women want. There are more things obviously, I did read an article where someone pointed out the flaws better than I have. I did like the action parts though. The raptors were awesome!

MrsGentlyBenevolent Sun 21-Jun-15 23:43:26

www.gamesradar.com/why-joss-whedon-was-right-about-jurassic-world-being-sexist/

This is the best article I have read on the matter. I don't agree with every point (rehearsing her words for the big boss wasn't a big deal, we all want to cover what we say when nervous!), but it generally goes through the main issues.

Patapouf Sun 21-Jun-15 23:45:25

YANBU the misogyny really fucked me off and I'm usually able to ignore it in films. Very disappointing.

thefourgp Mon 22-Jun-15 00:00:56

That's a good article. How the director can try to justify it I really don't know.

Socalled Mon 22-Jun-15 00:05:44

YANBU. It was dopily misogynistic. Surely, even for a dreadful film about CGI dinosaurs ripping one another's throats out, the 'icy control freak with poker-straight hair symbolising her Inner Self and who just needs the love of a good man, a jolly roll on the jungle floor, and lots of babies' trope is a bit worn out?

And since when has not knowing the ages of your nephews and nieces made you weird? Like Claire, I live in a different country to my nephews and nieces, and if I don't see them for a year or two at a time when they're growing fast, I couldn't pick them out of a police line up. And I'm married with a child (and a career)...

Though I'd be more alarmed by the whiff of 1950s misogyny if the film was better made. It was crammed with inconsistencies, characters who had no function, and weird loose ends.

Why introduce a chilly, uninterested British PA to babysit the boys, remove her from the storyline immediately, but then give her a cruelly protracted and sadistic death near the end?

Why introduce a sort of Asian Millionaire Willy Wonka as the park's owner-visionary and comically inept but ambitious heli pilot, and just kill him midway?

Why make the T Rex Claire loosed on the genetically modified killer dinosaur look virtually identical to said dinosaur, so you can't tell them apart in the final fight?

Egosumquisum Wed 22-Jul-15 13:40:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BestZebbie Wed 22-Jul-15 13:45:19

I quite liked the way my friend summed it up, tbh: "I had no shortage of characters to identify with....after all, all the dinosaurs were female"

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Wed 22-Jul-15 13:46:13

Well you all have the remake of Ghostbusters to look forward to. Four strong female leads in it.

SistersofPercy Wed 22-Jul-15 14:19:35

Well you all have the remake of Ghostbusters to look forward to. Four strong female leads in it

And I suspect Harold Ramis will be spinning in his grave at what they are about to do to it.
Seriously, I do wish Hollywood would step away from classic movies that really don't need resurrecting. I swear if they touch Back to the Future I'll hire a hitman.
Can't see Ghostbusters being anything but really awful I'm afraid, but then Melissa mcCarthy tends to ruin everything for me anyway.

TittyBiskwits Wed 22-Jul-15 15:09:57

Why make the T Rex Claire loosed on the genetically modified killer dinosaur look virtually identical to said dinosaur, so you can't tell them apart in the final fight?

I said something similar to DH when we watched it. If it's genetically modified, why didn't they make it red or bright yellow? That way, they might not have lost it in the compound either.

TigerTrumpet Wed 22-Jul-15 15:15:48

MissBattleaxe Wed 22-Jul-15 15:35:12

I thought it was a real step back. It reminded me of the Ginger Rogers quote where she said she did everything Fred Astaire did "but backwards and in heels". I thought we'd come on more than this.

Laura Dern's character was clever, resourceful, not vain, wearing practical fatigues for most of the film and could hold her own when discussing the same stuff as Sam Neil's character.

Bryce Dallas Howard didn't take her bloody heels off and when called upon to get gritty tied her white blouse in a fetching knot.

Egosumquisum Wed 22-Jul-15 15:38:07

SistersofPercy Wed 22-Jul-15 16:34:59

Oddly this just appeared on my Facebook timeline....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZi6NCuLbQ

grin

HawthornLantern Wed 22-Jul-15 17:45:05

Wasn't one of the defences the director made that all the real stars (the dinosaurs) were female?

One thing that hit me when I saw JW was that both Claire and the Indominus Rex are/ are wearing white. It made me think that the whole "she doesn't know how to play with fellow dinosaurs or understand her place in the world" was a reference to Claire as well as our genetically modified Indominus. Of course the film doesn't actually say this, but it irritated me on Claire's behalf.

But when I tried searching on-line to see if anyone else had this idea all I found was that Claire's white clothes were thought to be a tribute to the white suit worn by Richard Attenborough, just as the knot in Claire's shirt is apparently a reference to Laura Dern's shirt.

Whether the high heels were a reference to anything, other than a dim witted director who apparently ignored his lead actress, goodness only knows but wow - outrunning a T-Rex in heels? That's practically a super power.

Bullshitbingo Wed 22-Jul-15 18:06:43

What was the deal with the shoes? They kept doing close ups of those nude heels in a way that made me think they were going to become relevant to the plot in some way?? Even my dh said 'why has she still got those bloody heels on. You would have kicked them off by now surely'!
I also noticed the fact that she was a senior businesswoman in a multi billion dollar business all about dinosaurs, and she didn't appear to have the first clue about dinosaurs, and as soon as the shit hit the fan she was running round after Chris pratts character looking terrified the whole time. C'mon, she's his boss, she should have been calling at least some of the shots, breaking out the disasters emergency plan...something!

Pogmella Wed 22-Jul-15 18:13:13

ARGH my pet hate is when they make a big deal about a female character not wanting kids- they never do it for guys and all they try and do is use a perfectly valid lifestyle choice as evidence of some tragic flaw...

Also what was the point of the divorce plot? Or the kid's gf? Apparently its OK to dick around with other girls if you're about 14?! There was no wrap up or remorse there...

Egosumquisum Wed 22-Jul-15 18:27:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now