Talk

Advanced search

To ask about NHS funding for breast surgery?

(131 Posts)
bluejeanswhiteshirt Thu 04-Jun-15 16:44:34

I posted on here a while ago about wanting a boob job and had a very positive response. Please don't judge me for the title of this thread as I'm sure it will stir up a lot of attention but I would like to hear people's experiences and opinions on this.

Basically I have a teenage boy's chest with tiny bulbs where my breasts should be. My left breast has zero breast tissue and my right breast is roughly 3 cups bigger (but still there is barely any breast tissue and they are tubular.

I'm not just some dumb girl who wants to look like Katie Price, my breasts are actually deformed NOT small. My mum died of breast cancer so this is a serious subject for me.

Thank you.

kinkyfuckery Thu 04-Jun-15 16:47:02

From what you've said, I definitely think it is worth bringing up the idea of surgery with your GP. Have you spoken with them about your breasts in the past?

FunkyPeacock Thu 04-Jun-15 16:49:39

There is nothing to stop you asking but NHS budgets are under massive pressure currently so don't be surprised if the answer is no

bluejeanswhiteshirt Thu 04-Jun-15 16:51:24

No I haven't. I wanted to when I was 19 and my mum agreed I should and then again just before I fell pregnant but I've always been too nervous and embarrassed to show them my chest. I'm 25 now and I don't want to live the rest of my life with such an ugly body. I know that sounds very shallow.

The5DayChicken Thu 04-Jun-15 16:54:42

I don't think you're shallow at all OP. But I do think cosmetic procedures funded by the NHS are becoming increasingly more frowned upon. And I do believe this is with good reason. Could you save for surgery? Or have it done with a company who'll give you a finance plan?

TheoriginalLEM Thu 04-Jun-15 16:56:23

I am very sorry to read about your mum. I think it does complicate things actually - you should discuss with your GP because you might want to have tests to see if you are genetically pre-disposed to breast cancer. This would change things considerably I am sure and with losing your mum I think i would like to know because they may well recommend preventative mastectomy with reconstruction rather than simply having implants - I don't have the answers to this but your GP would be a good place to start.

I feel really sad to read that you feel your body is ugly - it might be worth you having some counselling about your body image (regardless of what you do with yoru breasts - im not being patronising)

I am sure you are beautiful just as you are, but if your body is making you unhappy you are entitled to help i think

Marmiteandjamislush Thu 04-Jun-15 16:56:43

YANBU to ask. IMHO though people are unreasonable to push for funding for this if told no. I know it is probably causing you distress, but their are cheaper alternatives such as a good padded/gel bra, which is not the case for many other physical issues.

electionfatigue Thu 04-Jun-15 16:57:03

Google PoLCE (procedures of limited clinical effectiveness) and the name of your area and you should find the document which has the criteria under which your local CCG will fund it. Criteria are getting tighter each year....

bluejeanswhiteshirt Thu 04-Jun-15 16:57:24

I'm a single stay at home mum to my 8 month old so I wouldn't be able to get finance and the money I get is for my daughter so it would be impossible really sad

TheoriginalLEM Thu 04-Jun-15 16:58:01

I didn't suggest the tests to see if you could get the reconstruction for free! my post reads a bit like that, but i would worry that simply having implants might be risky for someone with a genetic risk for breast cancer.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 04-Jun-15 16:59:21

I do think counselling is important though, if you have self esteem issues, who is to say that will go away if you have breast surgery? You need to be sure of this, whether you have the procedure on the NHS or not.

Achangeisadgoodasarest Thu 04-Jun-15 16:59:24

The chances of getting it done on the nhs for cosmetic reasons are virtually zero, I haven't tried but have heard of other peoples experiences.

I posted on your other thread to say you should get the surgery if you want to and that I've had it do e myself, so I am not judging, but I honestly don't think the nhs should find boob jobs for cosmetic reasons. You breast fed your dc, didn't you? So you do have breast tissue, the GP will use that as evidence.

You need to find a way to fund the surgery yourself, sorry. I hope you can do that somehow. Good luck

Achangeisadgoodasarest Thu 04-Jun-15 17:03:28

Oh and also as your baby us only 8 months, it would be a good idea to wait a year or so for things to settle down, and to avoid heavy lifting after the op. Who knows maybe you financial situation will be different by then?

A boob job will only change your boobs, not your life. Just something to think about if you have confidence issues.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 04-Jun-15 17:05:16

But the op has stated that her breasts are different shapes, i can imagine that will affect her self esteem and mental health, this isn't a case of someone just wanting a D cup, which of course shouldn't be funded but from what i have read here i think it would be worth her investigating it.

ghostyslovesheep Thu 04-Jun-15 17:06:53

talk to your GP

If you have no breast tissue you may well qualify for surgery

it's not just that you want bigger boobs - you want boobs - there is a medical issue not a vanity one - if this is the case

bluejeanswhiteshirt Thu 04-Jun-15 17:07:12

Yes but I had issues with my milk supply which I strongly believe is related. The glands and milk ducts are still there which I'm assuming is the bulbous part of my breasts but no breast tissue, therefore feeding is and was still possible.

sausagechops101 Thu 04-Jun-15 17:12:24

I have tubular breasts. Breasts were the same size, ie nothing. First went to my gp aged 20 (10years ago) and they agreed to refer me to a psychologist. I had a couple of meetings with a psychologist and they agreed with gp I was suitable for breast augmentation on the nhs. I was put on a waiting list, I was originally told it would be about 6 months but a year later I still didn't have a date. Luckily for me in the end my parents paid for me to have it done privately. It is possible though! Do just be aware breast implants on tubular breasts can look very different to normal implants. My boobs are far from pretty but at least they do now exist.

bluejeanswhiteshirt Thu 04-Jun-15 17:12:42

I'm waiting for an appt for genetic counselling to see whether I have the BRCA gene so I will mention it to the GP, I'm going to try and see her tomorrow. I honestly don't expect surgery to solve all my issues, I just want to look and feel like a woman. Counselling might be helpful but ultimately I need some sort of correction because I look abnormal.

The5DayChicken Thu 04-Jun-15 17:16:07

That's shit OP sad. Maybe try your luck with your GP...as LEM said, you may well have a chance if it's causing you psychological issues. Failing that, your only option really might be to wait for a change in your circumstances. I know how hard that is...I'm a single parent to a 14month old and my money situation is much the same as yours.

With your circumstances, it might be an idea to wait until your DC is at least walking. Lifting her shortly after the surgery wouldn't be a good idea. thanks

bluejeanswhiteshirt Thu 04-Jun-15 17:18:06

I googled the PoLCE for my area (thank you for the suggestion) and it says women with a sufficient degree of asymmetry or lack of development of breast tissue will be considered for funding subject to a BMI between 21 and 25.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 04-Jun-15 17:18:37

Yes, discuss with your GP. I think it would help you to know about the gene and im sure htey will discuss in detail with you.

You are not vain, i totally understand where you are coming from, my breasts are quite the opposite to yours - much too big and they have caused me different issues to the ones you have experienced. I am very sensitive about my breasts and quite paranoid so i do understand.

What would be cool is if you could have some of mine and we would both be happy!

flowers

lunalelle Thu 04-Jun-15 17:28:41

There is no harm in trying, but it does have to be really, really bad to get nhs funding. I was refused for surgery to remove all the loose skin from my stomach and repair the separated muscles. I am quite small but my last baby weighed 10lb and they had refused to induce me or do a C section before 42 weeks.

It is quite bad, even to me, and I don't fuss about my appearance in general. They still refused, though, even on my gp's recommendation.

EuphemiaCoxton Thu 04-Jun-15 17:31:05

Go and ask. Don't mention cosmetics, talk about how the deformity is affecting your life.
Good luck.

Achangeisadgoodasarest Thu 04-Jun-15 17:44:26

It's always worth trying OP, I wish you the best of luck, I felt exactly the sane way as you about my breasts. I was lucky enough to be able to pay to go privately. Good luck at the docs x

Klayden Thu 04-Jun-15 18:04:07

I'm torn because I understand your reasoning and hear your pain but I also don't think the NHS in its current state should fund this. I do think that speaking to your GP and seeing what support is available is a step in the right direction towards you learning to live with your body, whatever may happen. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now