Talk

Advanced search

to think that fragrance/scent on a man is effeminate ?

(132 Posts)
vienna1981 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:43:08

My attitude could probably be described as old-fashioned, narrow-minded, prejudiced etc. I'm of the opinion that "smelling nice" is a woman thing and it's rather girly for men to reek like a rosebush. I'm not suggesting that anybody, man or woman, should pong of sweat and BO. Just to be hygienically neutral without added flavour, as it were.

By the way, my 89 year-old neighbour wears Old Spice. A 25 year-old workmate wears Paco Rabane, and way too much of it. Both of these products smell awful, IMO.

Over to you.

SomethingOnce Tue 30-Dec-14 20:45:49

YABU to suggest it's effeminate in a man.

YANBU about hygienically neutral.

19lottie82 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:47:42

YABU I love a nice aftershave on a man. It's rank when they've had the same bottle for years tho and it's gone off and smells chemically and nasty. A good scent is really sexy tho

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 30-Dec-14 20:48:48

Rubbish!

My dh smells of Chanel Bleu and it's divine, I love smelling him.

drbonnieblossman Tue 30-Dec-14 20:49:36

So men shouldn't smell "nice" but of nothing? Yabu

Branleuse Tue 30-Dec-14 20:50:39

rawr NATURAL manscent,

ApignamedJasper Tue 30-Dec-14 20:51:46

It's unreasonable for anyone to 'reek' of perfume etc in my opinion, if that's the case you are using too much!

Personally I think scent on a man is lovely, same as it is lovely on a woman just not too much smile

fluffyraggies Tue 30-Dec-14 20:54:04

Nope, sorry, i love the smell of aftershave on a man. The waft of it turns my head.

I love the smell of DH au naturale too though. even love primal and stinky!

SillyBugger Tue 30-Dec-14 20:55:06

YABU. I know a man who wears Izzy Miyake (or something) and when I smell it, I want to do bad things to him.

edwinbear Tue 30-Dec-14 20:55:08

I have been known to turn around in the street and follow a man wearing Le Male. Adore that smell.

Boomtownsurprise Tue 30-Dec-14 20:55:20

Dunno about bu.

It's ok to personally not like your partner to wear scent.

It's fucking ridiculous to think a multi million pound industry should cease to exist based on you're prediliction.

I think you're actually homophobic and doing the old "now I ain't racist but...." Schtick

So on balance I've argued myself into just thinking you're a pratt

LaurieFairyCake Tue 30-Dec-14 21:03:17

I don't think you should be able to smell it on people in the street - just up very close.

Psycobabble Tue 30-Dec-14 21:06:43

No I LOVE the smell if a decent aftershave on a man

Swoons

slippermaiden Tue 30-Dec-14 21:08:54

I love the smell of aftershave. I sometimes borrow my DHs! Can't bear the smell of strong womens perfume tho!

fluffyraggies Tue 30-Dec-14 21:09:28

I know a man who wears Izzy Miyake (or something) and when I smell it, I want to do bad things to him.

My DH wears that. And yes - me too!

hope it's not my DH you're sniffing grin

PhaedraIsMyName Tue 30-Dec-14 21:09:30

Not sure what you mean by "old fashioned" but aftershave/ cologne etc is hardly a recent invention.

PhaedraIsMyName Tue 30-Dec-14 21:10:27

Oh and yes YABU.

KatieKaye Tue 30-Dec-14 21:42:49

Back in 1994 we were watching an episode of the TV programme "Scotland's War",about the Polish troops. Several ladies swooned as they recalled how glamorous and well-groomed they were, with one adding in hushed tones of the greatest admiration "and they wore cologne !" It clearly made a huge (and very positive) impression on her.

ithoughtofitfirst Tue 30-Dec-14 21:55:28

Can't say I've ever thought about it really.

Dh wears it. Smells alright.

Fuck it ... Yanbu to have an opinion. You don't like it. That's cool.

BuggersMuddle Tue 30-Dec-14 22:05:04

YABU

It's U for anyone to step out as though they've bathed in strong fragrance, but can't see the harm in a hint of something nice smelling.

DP has a couple of unisex Jo Malone scents that he wears on high days and holidays and whilst he's not the incredible hulk, he's certainly not feminine, nor does he smell like a rosebush!

In fact I've been known to nick one of them and it doesn't make me a bloke-ish either!

CassieBearRawr Tue 30-Dec-14 22:05:52

YANBU to be of the opinion you don't personally like it.

YABU for being a prejudiced tit.

NickiFury Tue 30-Dec-14 22:06:11

I LOVE nice aftershave. It's a total turn on.

WizardOfToss Tue 30-Dec-14 22:07:44

YABU. DH wears sandalwood, and it is beyond sexy.
However, if your experience is limited to Old Spice and Paco Rabane, I sort of understand. And recommend that you get out more grin

Fairylea Tue 30-Dec-14 22:08:55

Oh dear.

You'd really dislike my dh then... He loves all kinds of aftershaves and body sprays and wears black skinny jeans from the women's section at primark (he's very rock indie and all the rock indie guys tend to wear womens skinny jeans as they're tighter.. He actually asked a bloke he thought looked cool where he got his jeans from and thus is began!)

I guess we all like different things. Personally I love the fact men have changed so much in the last century in terms of grooming and standards etc.

LoveVintage Tue 30-Dec-14 22:12:45

YABU. For Christmas I bought DH the aftershave he used to wear when we first met 20 years ago. He hasn't used it for many years. The minute I smelled it on him, I was taken right back, and wanted to rip his clothes off there and then. And I would have, had the dcs and the dog not been present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now