Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can we put up a new fence on neighbours side of garden?

(23 Posts)
RaggleTaggleTick Fri 31-May-13 22:15:04

We are moving into a new house. The right hand fence is about waist height and kind of trellis. We would like a bit more privacy as at the moment it feels like you are in their garden and vice versa... Can we put one up along side it?

TapselteerieO Fri 31-May-13 22:16:55

Do you mean in your own garden? But against their fence?

Murtette Fri 31-May-13 22:16:57

As long as its on your side of the boundary then I think that you can. However, you may wish to discuss it with them first for the sake of neighbourly relations.

LastTangoInDevonshire Fri 31-May-13 22:17:10

As long as you make sure it is well inside your boundary then.........yes. (They might not like it though if it cuts out the sun into their garden!)

RaggleTaggleTick Fri 31-May-13 22:19:12

Yes it would be on our side of the boundary. Do you think it would BU to do so?

ivykaty44 Fri 31-May-13 22:20:54

you can put a fence up to 6 foot in your garden, you must not attach the fence to your neighbours property - their fence and it must be on your property so within your boundary.

My bf had a lot of problems with her neighbours over her new fence in her property as the neighbours said they lost sun - but the fence was 6 foot and not any higher and nothing they could do - they had gone round and let them know what was happening, which was all ok until the fence went up

ivykaty44 Fri 31-May-13 22:22:35

TBH why don't you talk to your new neighbours about the fence - it maybe that they would be happy for you to grow plants up as a shield which may well look far nicer for both of you.

Until you have a nice chat with them you will not know their feelings on the matter.

quietlysuggests Fri 31-May-13 22:23:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RaggleTaggleTick Fri 31-May-13 22:24:21

The thing is it's so short, about waist height if that.

RaggleTaggleTick Fri 31-May-13 22:25:18

Good idea Quietly, we have a dog, that can be our excuse.

raisah Sat 01-Jun-13 05:20:26

My parents nextdoor neighbours did this and the new fence put so much pressure on the old fence that its collapsed. My parents fence is completely ruined now so they will need to replace it. Although my parents fence is average height the neighbours fence is about a foot taller.

Bumpinthenight Sat 01-Jun-13 07:25:24

Are you sure the right hand fence isn't yours anyway? It is normally the RHS that you are responsible for. It worked like that for our old house and our new one that we are moving into soon. Same with my parents' house.

Might be worth double checking the deeds. If it is your fence you could replace it with a taller one.

HanShotFirst Sat 01-Jun-13 07:33:24

We privately rent and so do our next door neighbours. Last year both sides of our fence took damage and needed to be replaced, which is when we saw that our NDN only had a waist high wire fence and our landlord had put a fence on his side of the boundary. Our LL replaced both sides with a six foot fence, with the RHS being inside the boundary. Luckily everyone is used to the arrangement so no need to make sure everyone is happy. If you have a dog,though, just say it's to make sure he/she doesn't escape.

Kafri Sat 01-Jun-13 09:17:04

If you speak to your neighbours you may be able to agree to raise the height of the current fence rather than it up a new one and effectively have 2 fences together. They may be willing to share cost and of they're not, raising the old one might work out less expensive than a whole new one (ie buying higher fence panels to go on existing posts etc)

LIZS Sat 01-Jun-13 09:21:03

You need to check whose boundary it is (solicitor should be able to tell from deeds, it isn't necessarily standard) and whether there are any covenants or local restrictions on fencing in terms of height and style.

GoblinGranny Sat 01-Jun-13 09:25:02

IvyKaty is right, we've just done this with our neighbour's approval, but we both checked what was legal in case of future owners of either property.
It's on our land, not attached to their little (waist high) fence and it's 6'

DoJo Sat 01-Jun-13 09:44:23

raisah
Do they really need two fences though? Could the neighbour's fence not just be the fence that divides their gardens for now?

TinBox Sat 01-Jun-13 12:07:29

I would have a careful think about why you feel you would like more privacy in your garden.

If you are using your garden to do something private or secret, then it's understandable, but if you are just going to use your garden in an everyday way, then why would you want to go to the effort and expense of putting up a much higher fence?

What is it about sharing outdoor space, or the possibility of being seen, that disturbs you so much?

boxershorts Sat 01-Jun-13 12:15:38

fences can be complex but you are getting some good advice here. I once lived next door to a pretty young lawyer. She knew the score. But she went to Bedford.

WorrySighWorrySigh Sat 01-Jun-13 12:17:07

I think in Britain a 6 foot fence is quite normal. It allows each household to use their garden without having to engage with their neighbours. Some people are happy chatting over the garden fence but others arent. If you are someone who doesnt want to engage every time you are out in the garden but with neighbours who do want to engage then the easiest thing is to have a fence which allows a bit of distance to be maintained.

The old adage of good fences making good neighbours is a good default setting!

flanbase Sat 01-Jun-13 12:22:25

Put the fence up and enjoy having a garden that you can relax with out your neighbours peering in.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sat 01-Jun-13 12:36:05

We have shared boundaries on all sides which is a PITA. About to put up a new fence all round the garden, but going to speak to three sets of neighbours about potentially sharing the cost. I have joked that if they don't chip in, I'm going to have 'you tight arsed bastards' stamped on the side that faces them.

quoteunquote Sat 01-Jun-13 12:57:12

www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

I recommend you do some reading on above link first, and ask on there for expert advice, and save making expensive mistakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now