Talk

Advanced search

Broken Innotab 2

(30 Posts)
SantasComingEarlyHisSackIsFull Wed 26-Dec-12 13:14:29

I need you lot to sort me out. Please.

DS2 (4yrs old) dropped his new Christmas Innotab2 yesterday, from less than his own height onto laminate wood floor. The screen cracked. I feel sorry for him. He is only four and I told him to be careful with it a few times.

So, do I take it back to John Lewis and respectfully ask for an exchange, on the basis that it should be a little tougher for the 4-9 years age range?

If the answer is "no", do I buy another one, rather than try and "teach him a lesson in life" at the tender age of four and only let him play with it sitting down?

I feel quite sad for him, because he didn't cry his eyes out. He came and said, "sorry, sorry, I broke my new Innotab", so he was more worried that we would be cross. I did have to go into the bedroom to have a moment.

ZebraInHiding Wed 26-Dec-12 13:15:36

Oh bless his heart! I would go and try and explain. It really should be tougher than that.

Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 13:16:19

I don't think you can expect a replacement really.

Is there no way to get it repaired?

SantasComingEarlyHisSackIsFull Wed 26-Dec-12 13:19:03

No *Sirzy", I looked on 'tinternet. I am not expecting anything and will accept being told "no". with good grace. I could just cry inside for him.

EverythingsDozy Wed 26-Dec-12 13:20:07

Complain directly to the manufacturer. My sister is always getting vouchers / discounts /replacements by doing that.

blobandsnail Wed 26-Dec-12 13:22:31

If you bought it from john lewis take it back. In my experience their customer service is usually excellent and i would expect them to replace it. If they don't i would argue your point polietly, not accept being told no! It was not fit for purpose, a product for that age range should not break so easily.

BooCanary Wed 26-Dec-12 13:23:24

Tbh, rightly or wrongly, I would take it back to JLs for a refund. The worst they can do is say no.JL pride themselves on good customer service, and I wouldn't be surprised if you got the refund/replacement.

TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Wed 26-Dec-12 13:46:03

This is why we didn't buy an Innotab as our Facebook had a few incidents last year. In all cases customer service was good and it was replaced. But I think a product purposefully marketed for 4 year olds should survive being dropped from 4 yo height.
Uanbu
He didn't throw it or run with it. He simply dropped it sad

Lilicat1013 Wed 26-Dec-12 14:30:18

A friend's son broke his, he is epileptic and had a seizure which caused him to drop it. It was a short drop on to carpet but broke anyway. Argos replaced it as it shouldn't have broken so easily. Hopefully John Lewis will be kind enough to replace your one.

If it is designed for four year olds it should be able to survive drops from short distances.

SantasComingEarlyHisSackIsFull Wed 26-Dec-12 15:49:00

Thanks folks. I am going to ask them tomorrow, early in the day before the staff get fed up on the first day of their sale.

pigletmania Wed 26-Dec-12 16:38:22

It's worth asking, but if they do say no I would certainly not buy him a new one, your never to,young to learn from your mistakes

Elkieb Wed 26-Dec-12 17:49:40

I would suggest embellishing the truth somewhat, by saying it landed on a carpeted floor.

Idocrazythings Wed 26-Dec-12 19:01:44

I would replace it. It sounds like an accident and if an adult broke their iPhone it would get fixed so why not fix/replace a four year olds? Sounds like hes learnt his lesson anyway. Hope JL replace it (I think they might… I was very lucky with some lellikelli boots earlier this year …)

PearlyWhites Wed 26-Dec-12 19:13:11

Piglet was that a joke??

dayshiftdoris Wed 26-Dec-12 19:17:12

My son, when 4yrs, dropped a Leapster 2 on to a tiled floor from about that height at at speed... he was running over to me to show me something as he gestured to show me it flew out of his hand, hit the floor and bounced before landing a second time...

It's didnt even switch off nevermind break - just as advertised, just as I expected from a product designed specifically to withstand accidents that 4yr olds have and most importantly that I paid a premium for in comparison to alternatives (a DS was a similar price and had more features).

I think JL will replace it as it's evidentally not done the job it is supposed to have done. Given the amount of people on here reporting the same thing have you considered a Nabi 2 or Leappad Explorer Pad?

ClutchingPearls Wed 26-Dec-12 20:26:06

John lewis have a 2 year guarantee for electicals. You shouldn't have a problem.

Dorris83 Wed 26-Dec-12 20:52:12

Definitely ask John Lewis for refund, they'll get the money back from v tech ( the manufacturer of the innotab).

I totally agree with the poster above ( another Doris smile) who says to go for a leap pad. WAY better quality, their sales men demo the product by throwing it across a room to show how tough it is!

But first things first, take it back to John Lewis, don't be embarrassed, you won't be the first person, and they won't even blink.

TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Wed 26-Dec-12 21:02:01

A lot of reviews on the Innotab comment that it is not shockproof. So even those gel cases they sell for it wouldn't really helped if dropped at the right angle.

After looking at the the extra costs we decided to simply get dd a second hand iPod touch, and a Fisher Price Tough Case which we got from Shipped from Amazon.com, altogether came in at half the price of the Innotab and is more portable smile

I don't get the concept of those bumpers on the corner if the screen is not protected when it droops face side down confused

quanticovirginia Wed 26-Dec-12 21:11:13

Oh that's really poor. Ds who is 12 accidentally dropped our kindle fire onto our wooden floor from a 12 year old height. He wasn't doing anything daft jsut a bit clumsy but no damage whatsoever.

isn't there something about rejecting goods within a certain period of time from being bought if they're not fit for purpose which this doesn't seem to be.

If all else fails do you have accidental damage on your house insurance???

KittyFane1 Wed 26-Dec-12 22:53:56

Take it back. It is marketed 4+ years and details state "Includes an exclusive slip-case bag for safe transportation." implying that if it is dropped, it won't break. it also mentions that it is the right size for "small hands". Well, small hands can be clumsy!
I feel sorry for your little boy, it was an accident sad (it would be different if he had thrown it or stamped on it sad )

KittyFane1 Wed 26-Dec-12 23:04:20

In the user manual it says (under care and maintenance) "avoid dropping it" Err, Obviously hmm but how realistic is that for a 4 year old?!! Please take it back!! smile

TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Thu 27-Dec-12 17:57:32

How did you get on op? Did JL replace it?

annie987 Thu 27-Dec-12 21:55:42

My daughter trod on her innotab and broke the screen. It was almost a year old. I emailed vtech and they exchanged it for a ten pound admin fee. I was thrilled. Hope you have similar joy.

SantasComingEarlyHisSackIsFull Fri 28-Dec-12 09:41:54

I did take it back yesterday. They originally said "no" as they weren't covered for accidental damage. I said it wasn't fit for purpose...So the chap went of to speak to a manager (as they do) and came back. He then said the best they could do was meet me half way, so I paid £30 for an exchange. I am quite happy with this. I wanted it put behind us and for Ds2 to have a working one in the Christmas holidays.

Thanks for all your input.

ILiveInAPineappleCoveredInSnow Fri 28-Dec-12 10:32:32

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
I felt so bad for your ds when I read this, he sounds exactly like my ds would if he'd broken something like that of his :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now