Talk

Advanced search

To be sad and quite horrified that this couple aborted their babies...

(127 Posts)
MsKLo Sat 08-Jan-11 19:32:25

Couple with three sons abort twin boys conceived with IVF - and they will try again for a girl as their first daughter died

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345057/Couple-so ns-abort-twin-boys-IVF--try-baby-girl-daughter-die d.html#ixzz1ATR8ExuK

I read this and was just shock

I do really really feel sad for them too, but also horrified that they aborted their boys because they were not girls

So sad

Darnsarfupnorf Sat 08-Jan-11 19:34:01

your not IMHO, i read this too and was horrified sad

sarah293 Sat 08-Jan-11 19:34:09

Message withdrawn

MsKLo Sat 08-Jan-11 19:36:39

They already have 3 healthy boys who were conceived naturally too...

I just don't know what to think about them but I can't help but be really sad for the twin boys she aborted...

Shakirasma Sat 08-Jan-11 19:44:37

I think they need some serious counselling! The loss of their daughter has clearly messed their heads up big time!

What I think is really unreasonable is a legal system which allowed them to have the abortion in the first place.

I am pro choice if their are good reasons, this was not. Whatever they say to the contrary, they are trying to replace the lost girl.

ziggyf Sat 08-Jan-11 19:53:56

sad

Mists Sat 08-Jan-11 19:55:28

I'm also pro-choice but my gut reaction is that this is absolutely bloody horrible.

pink4ever Sat 08-Jan-11 20:18:39

I am another pro-choice here but this has really torn me.As someone who has lost babies I can empathise with their desire to have another daughter. However I do feel that if you go down the route of letting people "choose" the sex of their children then we are on the slippery road to eugenics(blond hair,blue eyes,no problem?).
Also I am very concerned with the emotional well being of their surviving dcs. How must they feel knowing they are "not enough"?.

spikeycow Sat 08-Jan-11 20:19:55

Wow. And to tell everyone in a newspaper like they are proud of it!

spikeycow Sat 08-Jan-11 20:21:23

And the H reckons they are due a bit of luck? Those poor, poor boys sad

ilovemyhens Sat 08-Jan-11 20:23:41

I hope the woman ends up sterile and that their three sons dump them permanently once they reach 18 angry

TheManWhoSoldtheWorld Sat 08-Jan-11 20:25:31

Can they be given IVF again and again? Does ethics/counselling not come in to it?

bupcakesandcunting Sat 08-Jan-11 20:26:38

I opened this thread ready to say YABU as I very pro choice but this is horrible.

No, YANBU at all. Bloody shocking.

RevoltingPeasant Sat 08-Jan-11 20:30:03

I feel sorry for their existing sons. Imagine realising what your parents had done and why?

And imagine if they did get a DD, the pressure that child would be under!

I was supposed to be a boy, but, I think luckily for me, I disappointed my parents (and have been doing so ever since...).

expatinscotland Sat 08-Jan-11 20:30:03

I think gender selection should only be allowed in cases where the couple carries a sex-linked disease.

SlightlyTubbyHali Sat 08-Jan-11 20:31:40

I'm pro-choice, but this is just horrid.
You want a little girl so much, go to a country where sex selection is legal and have IVF there.

I don't have a problem with sex selection per se, but I am absolutely opposed to abortion being used to achieve it. Largely, I suppose, because part of my being pro-choice is that I have always assumed that any woman who has an abortion does so for good reason: she can't cope with a child, she could not bring a child up at that point in time, it is not right for her family to add another baby. But just because of the baby's sex ? It's pretty unacceptable.

AuntieMaggie Sat 08-Jan-11 20:31:43

OMG - absolutely shocking!

ChaoticAngelofAnarchy Sat 08-Jan-11 20:32:44

I agree with expat.

5inthebed Sat 08-Jan-11 20:34:14

Truly shocking.

I agree with Expat about the gender selection.

MsKLo Sat 08-Jan-11 20:37:10

I am pro choice bunting

Spikeycow - apologies to you from me for our bun fight last week on another thread - you were being passionate about how you feel and I should not have had a go at you for that so apologies - you sound like a strong woman with strong opinions and i admire that even if we don't necessarily agree!

raspberryroo Sat 08-Jan-11 20:38:36

Again I'm pro- choice but there has to be a limit and am with expat

herbietea Sat 08-Jan-11 20:39:13

Message withdrawn

BuzzLightBeer Sat 08-Jan-11 20:40:30

there isn't a limit if you are pro-choice, thats the whole point. Its their choice, not yours.

StiffyByng Sat 08-Jan-11 20:43:15

I'm strongly pro-choice, mainly on the grounds that I believe people's own decisions about their lives should be respected. But this stuff strains my instincts, because it's such a stupid and callous way to behave. And I always find people who complain about their healthy children on the grounds of gender infuriating, even more so when, like this pair, they've experienced the pain of losing a child.

MsKLo Sat 08-Jan-11 20:43:17

It's hard to know how to feel
I am prochoice but I don't think I could ever have an abortion - I just don't know
I definately think the cut off rate for abortion is too high (except in exceptional circumstances)

I really don't know how to feel about this story!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: