Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High calorie dairy free foods for low weight dc's

(33 Posts)
AcademicMum Sun 03-May-09 14:05:16

DS2 is nearly 1 and has a dairy allergy but is very small for his age (just 8 kg). I'm slowly learning to build up a little repetoire of high-calorie dairy-free food for him, but am always on the look-out for new ideas. I know many other children who are dairy-free have the same problem, so i thought I'd start a thread for people to swap ideas/recipes/tips etc on how to get those extra calories into our dairy-free babes.

Anyone interested?

AbricotsSecs Sun 03-May-09 14:12:31

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Sun 03-May-09 14:13:59

Message withdrawn

trixymalixy Sun 03-May-09 14:20:15

Roast veg in the oven with olive oil and make into soup.

scienceteacher Sun 03-May-09 14:21:25

Sausages?

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 03-May-09 14:23:39

Lentils and vegetables go down very well here.

Have also just made
Lamb, pear and sweet potato and the caribean pork from the recipes on here (look in the baby section)
Chicken, tomatoes and sweet potatoe as well is good
Beef stew is a favourite.

spinspinsugar Sun 03-May-09 14:24:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mileniwmffalcon Sun 03-May-09 14:26:29

ghee is butter, surely?

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 03-May-09 14:27:38

Ghee is clarified butter, I use pure sunflower spread.

ilovemydogandMrObama Sun 03-May-09 14:30:38

mashed potato with oatly cream
sausages and chips
bolognaise
tomato/veg/lentil sauce - zap in blender and put on pizza

AcademicMum Sun 03-May-09 20:02:03

I've recently tried making coconut milk ice-cream (with the extra rich coconut milk), which went down pretty well with both ds2 (dairy allergic) and ds1 who isn't.

I was also considering trying to make a "cheesecake" without either cheese or eggs.

Otherwise, mushroom/beef strogonoff (sp?) made with oat cream/soya cream seems to go down quite well (I'm prefering oat cream at the moment though as it is less sweet that soya, but quite hard to get hold of).

ilovemydogandMrObama Sun 03-May-09 21:55:08

Could you please post the coconut ice cream recipe?

Made an absolutely revolting blueberry/apple crumble with Pure (soya margarine) so any advice/hints very welcome.

Brilliant idea re: stroganoff. Will try this soon smile.Do you use stock? If so, what brand?

Oatly cream is fantastic. I've asked our local organic supermarket to stock it, which they have, although weren't keen initially as it wasn't organic...

AcademicMum Sun 03-May-09 22:15:18

For the coconut milk ice-cream I did:
1 tin coconut milk (extra creamy one)
50 g sugar
fruit (I used strawberries and bananas this time, but I think mango or other "tropical" type fruit would probably work pretty well)

Blend everything up together and cool for 1/2 hour or so in fridge then add to ice-cream maker (I guess it can also be made by just putting in the freezer and stirring regularly until frozen). It seems to be best when straight out of the ice-cream maker (when it's still a bit soft) but it only takes about half an hour to do.

For the stroganoff I didn't use stock but only because of ds2's age and not wanting to add salt so i just managed without, but it still worked pretty OK. Am also a big fan of the oatly stuff as it means not substituting all dairy with soya. I also tried oat milk ice-cream but that's got much less calories than coconut milk. I just wonder whether the cream might make good ice-cream though?

spinspinsugar Sun 03-May-09 22:32:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Weta Sun 03-May-09 22:37:13

We were told to add extra oil to everything we cooked, which I tried for a bit but it didn't taste very nice and he didn't seem very keen. I do put extra margarine in his mashed potatoes/couscous though.

He's a lot older now (5) and I don't worry so much, but I have always been very generous with home-made dairy-free cakes (I generally reduce the sugar content by about 25% though), and feel more relaxed than I normally would about him having chips and things from time to time.

I also find he seems to have a big appetite (I guess because the dairy free diet means less calories) so he does have big servings of carbohydrates, meat, lentils etc.

simpson Sun 03-May-09 23:08:24

Agree with what Weta says.

My DD is 5mths and is severly intolerant to dairy/soya (but ok with egg)

She has been prescribed neocate to drink.

She is very indepenant and won't let me feed her mashed potato etc only wants finger food type things.

I tend to give avocado and put olive oil on everything*

*but
the point weta made about them having a bigger appetite because they are dairy free makes sense as DD can eat enormous amounts of pasta,meat,veg etc..ie 3 times what DS (3) eats. He is not intolerant to anything BTW.

Had never thought of it TBH blush but it makes sense!!

AbricotsSecs Sun 03-May-09 23:18:09

Message withdrawn

simpson Sun 03-May-09 23:20:13

Oops meant 15mths blush sorry!!

Yes pure spread is fab

AcademicMum Mon 04-May-09 13:18:32

HoochieMehMeh, where do you buy the coconut oil from?

I used to add olive oil to stuff but ds2 objects now, so I put a teaspoon of either pure spread or I recently discovered tesco value spread is also dairy free. I also think I over did it with the avocados. When I was first weaning ds2 I gave him avocado with everything and now he won't touch them sad.

ilovemydogandMrObama Mon 04-May-09 13:23:26

Good tip, academic re: value spread... smile

Coconut oil -- in hair section?

AbricotsSecs Mon 04-May-09 17:13:14

Message withdrawn

AcademicMum Mon 04-May-09 17:21:46

Cool - found on ethicalsuperstore. I'll give that a go smile.

trixymalixy Mon 04-May-09 19:00:56

I put olive oil on everything too, particularly in pasta.

I can confirm that Oatly cream makes delicious ice cream. I've never thought of putting it in mash before, cheers for that tip.

DS who is dairy free has a huge appetite too.

ilovethesun Mon 04-May-09 19:05:25

My children are not allergic to dairy but I am not keen and do most of the cooking and also I don't eat a lot of meat so...as my two are small I use vegetable or olive lots, loads of pulses, chickpeas and lentils if nothing else to bulk food out. I also add olive oil to loosen homemade baby food that I have frozen. Lots of pasta, cous cous and potatoes. Rice is a good carb. If you are meat eaters don't choose skinny options go for the best quality you can afford steak mince with the fat on! Chicken breasts with skin on, chicken thighs (I use these more than breast tbh) more fatty and much cheaper as well as tender.

HTH

wb Mon 04-May-09 19:37:48

We had the same 'problem' with ds1.

I quite often gave him potato wedges or chips, shallow fried in olive oil. I also used to buy fattier bits of meat (difficult-had to specifically request them at the butchers) and made stews. He got puddings regularly rather than our usual once ion a blue moon and I am also a fan of the oat cream.

He was on prescription formula til age 2.

Having said that, none of it made any difference - he stayed small and skinny and today (age 3.5) with no dairy allergy he is still small and skinny, but very active and generally healthy. So give it a go by all means but if he is healthy and active don't worry too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now