Talk

Advanced search

SAD Lamps

(11 Posts)
dueindecember10 Sun 01-Nov-20 06:44:50

Hi, I was hoping someone with experience of SAD lamps may be able to give me some advice please? I am trying to work on ways to help me stay mentally well during the winter. Are SAD lamps any good? I am lucky that I get outside in daylight for about an hour a day so not sure if they would help or whether I am already getting what I need? Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
Prokupatuscrakedatus Sun 01-Nov-20 09:02:12

We have 2 Beurer TL30 lamps at our desks - otherwise we would be getting up in the dark, stay indoors working and then stop working in the dark.
I think they help - if only because the light feels good as it imitates the sun. Plants benefit so I hope I do, too.
They advise to consult your GP when taking pain killers, bloodpressure mediaction or anti depressants.
They also give a warning to migraine sufferes, but I have not noticed any ill effects.

goingtotown Sun 01-Nov-20 09:24:28

Prokupat
Blood pressure medication? There’s nothing on the NHS website that mentions this.

Prokupatuscrakedatus Sun 01-Nov-20 10:03:44

I am not in the UK - the instructions of my lamp come with this hint, there is nothing from medical sites. I assume they want to be safe.

opinionatedfreak Sun 01-Nov-20 10:05:24

I have a lumie alarm clock. Have had for more than a decade.

I love it - the sunrise feature works really well to wake you up and I think really helps with circadian rhythm.

Other things that help are no screens in bedroom.

I considered a desk lamp but after getting my alarm clock I've never needed one.

dueindecember10 Sun 01-Nov-20 12:57:14

Thank you. That’s really helpful.

OP’s posts: |
Squirrel26 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:43:17

I have a lumie alarm clock, which I bought in September.
It really helps. I am NOT a morning person and it often takes a long tie before I feel properly with it. With the lumie, I am awake and I am AWAKE. I was sceptical before I bought it, as it was reasonably expensive, but I'm impressed.

(My friend has one she's put in front of a mirror, so it reflects the light. She says that really helps mimic 'sunrise'.)

ForTheLoveOfCatFood Sun 01-Nov-20 13:54:02

Another vote for lumi had ours years so good

BashfulClam Sun 01-Nov-20 15:30:10

I have the limos hurbajao want a desk sad lamp.

BashfulClam Sun 01-Nov-20 15:30:40

*I have the lumie alarm clock

TigerDroveAgain Sun 01-Nov-20 15:35:31

I’ve a Lumie alarm clock which I love although I have to set the wake up time about 30 minutes later than I want to get up as the light wakes me - gently - before it gets really bright.

I also have a Lumie desk lamp which I use most days. It has the added benefit of lighting my face nicely for Zoom calls

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in