Talk

Advanced search

Please help - washing machine keeps ruining my clothes

(47 Posts)
Washingproblem Mon 11-Feb-19 18:02:05

This has been going on for a few months now. We keep ending up with these lines, mainly on knitwear but also other stuff. It's happened to both new and old clothing, including good quality stuff that's been fine for years and then ruined practically overnight.

These photos were taken after ironing, so the problem cannot be solved by ironing. The lines are not creases.

We have already tried:

- Doing an empty wash at 90 degrees
- Cleaning the rubber seal
- Using a special machine-cleaning liquid that we bought
- Stopped doing eco-washes and switched to full-length
- Been careful not to over-fill the machine

What's causing this problem? I've never had this problem ever before and then it suddenly started a few months ago.

So many of my clothes have been ruined! Please help!

ATowelAndAPotato Mon 11-Feb-19 18:12:33

Is it spinning the clothes too hard? Can you adjust the spin cycle? My machine lets me turn down the spin speed on each cycle.

ATowelAndAPotato Mon 11-Feb-19 18:13:49

Or is there anything caught in the drum that’s scratching the fabric? If you run an old pair of tights around you should be able to see if it catches on anything.

Ylvamoon Mon 11-Feb-19 18:17:23

Spinning to hard and / or leaving the clothes in for some time after washing?
If try a "delicate" wash and take clothes out straight afterwards.

VincentVanGoughandhisear Mon 11-Feb-19 18:19:44

How hot are you washing at?

Are they creases or marks?

Dermymc Mon 11-Feb-19 18:19:54

Mine did this. I have no idea why or what caused it.

Washingproblem Mon 11-Feb-19 18:31:10

We wash all our clothes at 30 degrees, as we have been doing for years with no problems. As I've already said in my OP, they are not creases.

@Dermymc How long did this go on for? Has it stopped now?

Oddcat Mon 11-Feb-19 18:39:15

Ive had this too with knitwear , and it's only ever with fine knit things. Maybe it's just that the fabric can't tolerate a machine wash.

Washingproblem Mon 11-Feb-19 18:43:54

Oddcat but this has happened to knitwear that I've had for years that suddenly got ruined overnight, as well as brand new knitwear.

PixieDust92 Mon 11-Feb-19 18:45:51

Can you check the drum? There may be a sharp edge in it that's catching the clothes

Dermymc Mon 11-Feb-19 18:46:14

I don't know why it stopped. It did after a while though occasionally we get a wash that does it again.

Washingproblem Mon 11-Feb-19 23:23:15

@Dermymc Are your clothes permanently damaged or did they go back to normal?

steppemum Mon 11-Feb-19 23:30:33

these look like the lines you get on fabrics that are not 100% natural materials when they are washed too hot.

eg, a polycotton sheet, wahsed at 90, and the creases have actaully indented/ marked the fabric, because the fabirc has damaged at that temp. You can't get them out with ironing, because they are lines of damage, like the polyester has melted a bit

If that is the case, then it would be because you machine is washing too hot suddenly. Can you put a load on and keep checking the temp of the glass door, to see if it gets really hot?

BusterGonad Mon 11-Feb-19 23:32:09

I used to get this with cheap knit wear, I always thought it happened with a too hot and harsh cycle as well as using the wrong type of detergent. I wash all fussy fabrics on a hand wash with a liquid silk and wool detergent.

steppemum Mon 11-Feb-19 23:34:38

you can also get them on acrylic jumpers, just looking like washing creases, but they don't come out, and using fabric softener can make them disappear

Washingproblem Mon 11-Feb-19 23:41:05

Butt I've had some of the items for years and they've all been fine, so why would it start happening now if there's never been a problem before?

If that is the case, then it would be because you machine is washing too hot suddenly. Can you put a load on and keep checking the temp of the glass door, to see if it gets really hot?

I wash all my clothes at 30 degrees. Are you saying there may be a fault with the washing machine and that it's making the water hotter than I think it is?

BusterGonad Mon 11-Feb-19 23:54:17

Stop washing at 30, maybe your old machine had the problem and never actually got to 30? Maybe new machine is slightly higher? Wash all acrylic and knot wear on a hand wash with appropriate detergent. Dry flat.

Washingproblem Mon 11-Feb-19 23:56:34

We've lived in our flat and had the same washing machine for over three years, but the problem only started a few months ago so it's nothing to do with changing machines.

gamerchick Tue 12-Feb-19 00:01:19

Have you checked the drum itself? It sounds like the plastic ridges are wearing away. There's sharp shit underneath

BusterGonad Tue 12-Feb-19 00:26:41

Sorry washing I misunderstood, I thought it was a new machine. New detergent then? Do you tumble dry?

toomanyofthemnow Tue 12-Feb-19 00:40:23

Perhaps the thermostat has gone wrong and it is washing at a hotter temperature.

Is there just one 30deg programme or are there others? Have you tried using the wool or extra-delicate wash setting? Is there a 'hand wash' one? Try using one of those and see if the same thing keeps happening or not.

Jon65 Tue 12-Feb-19 01:00:10

Check the temperature of the wash. I would suspect a thermostat problem.

steppemum Tue 12-Feb-19 08:10:34

30 degrees is not hot, you don't need to hand wash etc, 30 degrees is fine.

BUT my suggestions was that the machine is overheating, and not washing at 30, which is why I suggested feeling the glass door during the wash cycle.

If it is overheating, then it is gettign quite hot, to do that damage, so you shoudl stop using it.

moofolk Tue 12-Feb-19 08:50:26

Agree with @steppemum if it's too hot it's probably the thermostat on your machine.
You are setting it to 30 but it's going higher.

Check with your hand on the door on an empty wash.

Washingproblem Tue 12-Feb-19 10:37:44

I've already tried doing delicates washes but it made no difference. Sorry I forgot to put that in my OP.

I don't use a tumble dryer, nor have I ever been the sort of person who irons frequently. We usually just hang our clothes up to dry.

So maybe it's washing too hot. The trouble is that I don't know how we'd sort that out. Would we need to call someone to have a look? I can't see our landlady being too happy with that - she tends to get stressed quite easily and we try not to approach her unless it's absolutely necessary.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: