Talk

Advanced search

Can you buy "real" Christmas trees online to be delivered, and come and help me organise a stress free Christmas.....

(54 Posts)
alwayslookingforanswers Mon 19-Oct-09 12:32:11

please

DH confessed last night that he's dreading Christmas, the stress, the presents, the decorating all of it - he just wants to be able to skip it all and jump to January sad.

I have managed to reduce his panic levels slightly this morning by having mananged to do a decent sized shop with Ocado for under our weekly budget.

But I know he's stressed out about it.

We've done christmas on a MUCH lower budget before (not actually sure "what" the budget is this year but want to keep costs down regardless) but he just sees debts and doom and gloom (yes we have debts but it's really not doom and gloom any more).

So keys things I need advice on

1. I promised the DS's we'd have a "real" Christmas tree this year - we don't have a car, can you buy them online anywhere for delivery???

2. Recommendations for Christmas dinner, we usually have a roast of some description, but never Turkey (neither of us like it) and want to order in advance and stick in the freezer so it's not a shock to the finances when I order. Past Christmases have included Ostrich, Beef, Pork, Duck and a game bird whose name escapes me blush.

3. DH isn't keen on buying 2nd hand presents for the DS's, fair enough, he was brought up his whole life with very few presents/toys, but ALWAYS new (although low value). What are you going to buy your 2, 6 or 9yr old DS that's cheap but "looks" good (my boys are easily decieved into thinking that something that was as cheap as chips was actually very expensive grin).

4. We both come from "Christmas isn't Christmas without a cupboard full of crap food" house holds. DH is particularly fond of the Mr Kiplings type stuff........can any of that sort of stuff be bought in advance and put in the freezer??? (please don't suggest I bake my own as I'm a decent cook but a HOPELESS baker).

5. Any other ideas to reduce the stress/cost of Christmas.

Money is tight - but not ridiculously so (if we I start getting organised now it won't be a push), and although I know that Christmas doesn't have to be "big" it's our first Christmas together since we got back together, and I know that making Christmas "special" for us/the DS's is a huge thing for him - I really don't want him to take a knock because he feels it wasn't "good enough".

TartanKnickers Mon 19-Oct-09 15:03:30

I very much doubt that it is free range

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 19-Oct-09 15:07:24

Where are you ALFA?

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 19-Oct-09 16:49:15

Norma - I'm in chavvy leavft East Northamptonshire grin

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 19-Oct-09 17:02:55

Ahhhh. I am in Aylesbury so too far away for Christmas Tree Delivery Duties.

VictoriousSponge Mon 19-Oct-09 17:04:05

barf at Ki[ling

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 19-Oct-09 17:06:09

VS - I'm not overly keen on Mr Kipling, but when you've grown up with "baking" being bread and stodgy, tasteless cakes they're apparently a sweet toothed persons dream.

BonsoirAnna Mon 19-Oct-09 17:13:36

I bought my Christmas tree online last year. It was very efficient (delivered right into my sitting room!) but one word of warning - its base was hidden inside the sack, and I couldn't find it until I looked very hard!

ruddynorah Mon 19-Oct-09 17:15:26

aldi and lidl do lovely christmas cakes and biscuits, better than kipling.

Ewe Mon 19-Oct-09 17:16:14

I have heard very good things about Christmas Tree Man and eco friendly too!

crankytwaaaaaahhhhnky Mon 19-Oct-09 17:18:40

Does tesco or sainsbo's do online tree deliveries do you think?

If you get one of those living trees it's kinda an investment. (If youcan keep them alive)blush

bigchris Mon 19-Oct-09 17:24:59

sorry if this is too obvious but could you shop at Asda or Tesco to keep costs down

Tesco Direct have a toy sale at the moment which might help

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 19-Oct-09 17:28:18

bigchris - I'll use mysupermarket again (thank you to whoever it was recommended it the other week to me) to get the best price for whatever we order.

Ocado, by the time I'd swapped and saved yesterday, was only £3 more expensive than Tesco and only £2 more than Asda!

It's not that we particularly need to keep costs down, just DH thinks money is tighter than it actually is.

VictoriousSponge Mon 19-Oct-09 17:49:21

DO you know what I am starting to empathsie with your dh - god oyu go ON abotu htis dont you.
its weeks away
hwo abotu you stop planning your life for ONE day and geton wiht living in the present

crankytwaaaaaahhhhnky Mon 19-Oct-09 18:05:42

Duh, cranky, read posts thoroughly!

FourShour Mon 19-Oct-09 18:11:54

VS bit harsh

Some people like to be prepared

I so wish I was one of them grin

Always I love lamb for christmas dinner

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 19-Oct-09 18:12:41

ermm if you think I'm going "on and on" about it - simple don't read the post.

I believe it's only my first thread in the Christmas topic.

I don't think that mid October with just under 10 weeks until Christmas is ridiculous early to start planning when there isn't one pot of money to spend on Christmas. The money will be there, but it comes weekly/every 4 weeks so does need to be planned. He thinks there's no money for it.

I haven't been going "on and on" about it to DH, he brought it up last night as he was worried about it, I've decided to start getting organised so that it's not a huge panic.

I know that if we don't start getting sorted now and Christmas is a bit of a "flop" he will take a knock from it as it's a huge thing to make Christmas "special" for the DS's.

nighbynight Mon 19-Oct-09 18:32:40

Try Lidl or Aldi if you want goose. They import frozen goose from Poland (in Germany, anyway),a nd the prices are reasonable.

nighbynight Mon 19-Oct-09 18:33:29

this is the right moment to start planning!

Im sure your dss wont think its a flop, and its their opinion that counts, surely?

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 19-Oct-09 18:36:29

oh I know the DS's won't think it's a flop (they're easily deceived - "large box=expensive present" in their eyes grin)- it's DH I'm worried about. His "perceptions" of it and all that.

You see now I'm swaying between a nice fat goose and a lovely leg of lamb.

VictoriousSponge Tue 20-Oct-09 14:32:15

what a poser.

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 20-Oct-09 14:32:47

would you care to explain that last post VS? How am I a poser?

VictoriousSponge Tue 20-Oct-09 14:33:13

no the q is a poser

duck or goose

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 20-Oct-09 14:35:51

hmm right ok - whatever you say

traceybath Tue 20-Oct-09 14:40:50

Goose very greasy - go for lamb.

Lavenderfleurs Tue 20-Oct-09 14:46:42

Always there is nothing wrong with your post, ignore any nastiness.

I, luckily was given some Selfridges vouchers for a birthday present earlier this year so have saved them to either buy some nice Christmas treats or a couple of presents. Leaning towards the food though.

This is what I do:

1. Buy an item a week, chocs, mince pies etc so incorporated into the weekly budget therefore no big shop nearer the time.

2. Started buying gifts a few weeks ago, ELC have special offers every week with at least one toy being half price. Got lovely little wooden dolls house for dd for £12.50 reduced from £25.00.

3. I don't like turkey either so I usually do a 7 hour leg or shoulder of lamb, unbelievably delicious and super cheap.

I can honestly say that Christmas near to the time does not really over tax me financially or physically, its all about planning.

I love Christmas btw grin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »