Page 6 | The “I don’t need anything” husband gift thread

(375 Posts)
LongPauseNoAnswer Sat 03-Oct-20 20:10:44

Does anyone else have a DH who is practically impossible to buy for? He doesn’t need anything, doesn’t want anything and I have no clue what to get him.

He doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t like sports. He sounds horrifically boring but he’s not I swear grin

What are you getting your impossible to buy for DH?

OP’s posts: |
doodlejump1980 Mon 19-Oct-20 22:51:36

Just bought my mountain-biking-fanatic DH some waterproof socks. Saw this being suggested on a biking forum as a good idea. Thought I’d share incase there are any other mtb widows out there.

nicky7654 Mon 19-Oct-20 22:54:26

My Husband is getting a back massage from me and a lovely meal. He doesn't want anything anyway. We are camping over Xmas so that can be our present to each other .

Babysharkdoodoodood Mon 19-Oct-20 23:21:09

Got mine a subscription to The Roadrat last year https://theroadrat.com/collections/road-rat-subscriptions. And his birthday is in early January so I arranged a 4 night trip to Seville (luckily we got it in then).

He collects watches (nice ones that I can't afford) so this year I've got him a display box from John Lewis. I'll get him some whisky for his birthday.

Eve Tue 20-Oct-20 07:37:54

Heinz do personalised tomato ketchup Bottles and bean tins - got some for my teens as stocking filler.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Tue 20-Oct-20 16:18:41

When it gets to Christmas time, I do sometimes find myself missing an ex who loved penguins. Plenty of novelty gifts, but also clothing from Penguin, a day's experience as a penguin keeper at the zoo, adopt a penguin... so easy to buy for!

I would agree with a hamper of chutneys/relishes etc that are nicer than they'd buy themselves. Liquorice goes down well here, and I've seen a selection box this year.

Running tops and a golf 'folder' for scorecards etc. have gone down well before. I think I might get a Bluetooth speaker this year for my dad.

2020nymph Tue 20-Oct-20 23:41:07

doodlejump1980

Just bought my mountain-biking-fanatic DH some waterproof socks. Saw this being suggested on a biking forum as a good idea. Thought I’d share incase there are any other mtb widows out there.

Which ones did you get @doodlejump1980? I've been looking at getting these.

Advertisement

doodlejump1980 Wed 21-Oct-20 07:48:59

@2020nymph these were the ones I got.

OTTER HOTTER for MEN and WOMEN... www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078VRGQ3R?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&tag=mumsnetforu03-21

movingagain20 Wed 21-Oct-20 07:59:00

Apple Watch and AirPods, he would never buy for himself as he'd see it as a waste of money but I know he will love. Last year F1 tickets (I have joked he's sorted for next year as they've obviously been extended).

He's much harder to buy for on a budget, I would get PJs, Liz Earle for men, but then I get stuck. He's been much easier to buy for since money has been easier to come by as he just won't make big purchases for himself.

Yesyoudoknowme Wed 21-Oct-20 08:06:29

Following for ideas! @rockingmyfiftiesnot do they do snoods for men? That would be perfect but never seen a male one! I can't see him going for a lacy pink one...

IToldYouIWasFreaky Wed 21-Oct-20 08:16:14

I've bought DP one of these personalized mugs with him and the cat on. I know he'll love it!

For sports fans, I think that these book cover prints are fab. They're mocked up to look like Penguin book covers and commemorate great sporting moments. We bought one for a friend recently, and managed to get it signed by one of the players involved and it was a great hit!

RockingMyFiftiesNot Wed 21-Oct-20 08:49:21

Yesyoudoknowme

Following for ideas! @rockingmyfiftiesnot do they do snoods for men? That would be perfect but never seen a male one! I can't see him going for a lacy pink one...

Yes definitely - google snoods for men. Lots of sports shops do them too

TheRosariojewels Wed 21-Oct-20 09:44:04

I've got mine the Phillip's Perfect Draft machine. He will love it, but wouldn't spend that sort of money on it himself.

LetItGoHome Wed 21-Oct-20 12:19:14

National Trust, English heritage membership. Merlin pass. Fancy meal out vouchers. Other experience gifts, such as Shard, river boat cruise/meal. Massage or spa day. A night or 2 in a country hotel/B&B. My husband likes day out or doing things gifts.

20mum Wed 21-Oct-20 13:02:04

One idea is a unilateral declaration of independence. Actually, it seems increasing numbers of people are beginning to think for themselves, and vote 'No' with their wallets.
Stuff. Junk. Rubbish. Landfill. Planet destruction all because of brain washing by commercial interests . A Simpsons episode said it all. The family and entire neighbourhood dutifully bought house-loads of stuff for 'Love Day'. Gift after gift, special wrapping, special decorations, special cards, special meals. Everyone opened the junk and threw it aside. Next day, the entire district was full of overflowing dustbins.
If you care about someone, and you demonstrate it by keeping in touch simply because you were thinking of them, that means something. If you only communicate because you are grudgingly sending cards to everyone on a list, it's an insult.
If you notice something, somewhere, sometime, and feel sure that a friend, neighbour or family member might be delighted with it, and you give it at once, it is likely to be welcome. But. if it's just another bit of tat forwarded because someone wants to make money, and not because you thought, and cared, and took the initiative because of the person, not because you felt forced to buy because of a date when shops insist people must buy, it isn't likely to be worthwhile.
Even buying in August and hiding till December is daft. If the person really is likely to enjoy the gift, why ever would you withhold that pleasure, because the shops told you what day you could give gifts?
It's the same with turkeys and trees. If you want turkey in June, have it. If you fancy egg and chips on December 25th. why should anyone make you feel forced to eat anything else?

Feawen Wed 21-Oct-20 13:16:20

Come along sheeples, declare independence by doing as you’re told by 20mum! grin

I tend to buy luxury consumables, charity gifts and experiences for my dad, who doesn’t like to accumulate things. He gives wonderful, thoughtful presents himself though.

diplodocusinermine Wed 21-Oct-20 13:29:50

Ooni pizza oven. 8 of us have clubbed together as it is far more than I'd normally spend but he will love it. Also taken away the pressure for other people of what to buy! And as 20mum correctly points out not 8 items of tat he will never use, but one thing he will use lots.

Scottishmum1984 Wed 21-Oct-20 13:37:08

A Spanish food and drink hamper in lieu of holiday abroad this year!

Bickles Wed 21-Oct-20 13:44:04

I find DH difficult to buy for.
So far I have got a Friends Nespresso advent calendar.
For his stocking: rise of Sky Walker dvd, socks, book, festive coffee pods, chocolate and a whisky minature.
He’s also getting PJs, slippers and his main present is the Star Wars Cantina Lego.

munzero Wed 21-Oct-20 13:47:32

For when the men in my life can't decide what they'd like I usually default to nice jumpers/shirts/pyjamas or all 3 from next or M&S 🤷🏻‍♀️ they'll appreciate it so I try and not over think.

Llamallamadingdong Wed 21-Oct-20 14:14:26

This thread has been amazing! So many great ideas. I’m saving the pizza oven one for his birthday later next year.

So far I’ve got a grow your own coffee bean plant and some whiskey stones. I’ll probably add in some books but he will recommend them as he tends to read about quite a niche subject.

JoanneCofton Wed 21-Oct-20 14:16:15

Thank you so much @IToldYouIWasFreaky, the football prints are absolutely PERFECT for DP, I’ve never seen anything like that before but he’s going to love it.

IToldYouIWasFreaky Wed 21-Oct-20 14:29:04

Ah, glad you like them! I think they're so simple but so clever. The print is good quality too.

Coronawireless Wed 21-Oct-20 16:16:38

Brilliant thread! DH also has a birthday close to Christmas and doesn’t like tat.
I’m getting the personalised socks for him anyway from the DC - great idea!
Also personalised jigsaw of him with some of his friends. He likes jigsaws.
Aaaand....the Philips beer draft thing, he’ll love that!
Successful gifts in the past include the pizza oven - his most-used gift ever, six years old now and still used weekly so anyone thinking of that, go for it!
Hard-to-find sports or concert tickets booked a couple of years in advance also work well.
Thanks!

Onekidnoclue Wed 21-Oct-20 16:34:09

This thread is saving my sanity.
Already ordered nespresso advent. Ketchup bottle. Spitfire book. Menu book AND football print!!! Wish you guys got commission. THANK YOU!

Coronawireless Wed 21-Oct-20 16:54:50

I’m going for the waterproof socks too😊So glad I checked in.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in