Talk

Advanced search

Anyone doing a 1st December box??

(100 Posts)
Peopleplease Mon 27-Nov-17 10:21:20

Instead of a Christmas Eve box I decided to do a 1st December box.

A lot of it is stuff I already have (Santa duvet, plate & cup, books)

I’ve got some new books, new pjs, an advent calendar. I Bought her a little activity book but I can’t find it!

Anyone else doing anything like this??

LittleLights Mon 27-Nov-17 10:29:51

No, just advent calendars and Christmas Eve box.

londonpia Mon 27-Nov-17 10:48:26

I am- I figure that they can get some use of the Christmas pjs that are going in there! I have some Christmas Lego theme sets, and some decorations. That's it really, so will watch with interest.

BiddyPop Mon 27-Nov-17 10:50:42

Well, it doesn't come in a box, but I got the early December items from the storage unit yesterday. DD has already snuggled under the fleece blanket, and she did demand her fleecey PJs after a bath (but was too damp to get them on - so got a clean pairs of shorts and tshirt ones instead!! So much for cosy!). And she already used the plate for a snack.

The advent calendar will go up on Thursday, and I don't think either DH or DD realized that the box of books and DVDs is in the sitting room. And her duvet cover set won't go on until next week sometime.

All of those are old.

There are mini chocs for the advent calendar, and she doesn't know it but I DID get the Lego City calendar as well (she does really enjoy that but they were sold out when I was trying to buy it in shops - she doesn't know I ordered it direct from Lego).

I have new PJs for Christmas Eve - although not a "festive" pair this year. And the lush bath bomb (it's different this year as they don't have the Santa one anymore) - but I also got a "fidget spinner bubble bar" (is that right?!) which she will use over December a couple of times as well for bubbly baths.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 27-Nov-17 11:00:42

I'll be getting the advent box ready to appear on Thursday evening. It's mostly a case of getting stuff out of storage - advent calendar, elf, books, candles, fairy lights, story cards. I might put Christmas jumpers in. And I have to write the letter from the elf, which takes ages.

Chrisinthemorning Mon 27-Nov-17 11:07:11

Yes. Lego advent calendar, Christmas Pjs and a book, plus some tree chocolates.

FJCE83 Mon 27-Nov-17 11:12:01

Yes, although I don’t put it in a box. I get out all the Christmas related books, toys, blankets and stationary etc...and display them on the couch for when the children get up on the 1st Dec. The only things I buy new are their advent calendar and xmas pj’s.

NotMyMonkees Mon 27-Nov-17 11:14:16

Yes! For a few years I did Christmas eve boxes but actually there wasn't time to do the activities/watch the dvd etc. So now 1st Dec the dvds books Christmas bedding etc all comes out, with a few little chocolates and treats. Happy it's a Friday this year so it can all be ready for when they get home from school, lovely start to the weekend grin

Serin Mon 27-Nov-17 11:16:32

Nah but I am busy Hygge-ing the house, does that count?

We have a winter drinks hamper by the kettle with lots of flavoured coffees/tea sachets/sprinkles/marshmallows etc and I have got out our Christmassy cushions, blankets and candles.

Afreshstartplease Mon 27-Nov-17 11:21:51

Im doing boxes for my four for the first time

So far they have

Pjs
Cup
Xmas slipper socks
Oldest two have a book each

Need get book for the smaller two and some marshmellows and hot chocolate

Oh i am also doing the elf for the first time this year too

katymac Mon 27-Nov-17 11:26:41

I did a sort of advent calender for DD (20) she is working away until the 24th then back on 26th

So starting today (first day at work) she has a labelled present - todays was (plastic) cocktail glasses so they went down well with her house mates - the rest is socks/sachets of hot choc/sweets/minature baileys/little treats

Not quite the same but the best I could do

haggisaggis Mon 27-Nov-17 11:38:45

Yes done this for the past few years as dcs pointed out they couldn't really wear Christmas themed socks etc after Christmas!
So they get Christmas PJs and socks - possibly a jumper (but they have a few now - and they're teens so don't grow out of them the same way) and advent calendars as well as the odd wee thing for the house - Christmas coasters, loo roll, napkins etc. We'll also put the crockery and duvet covers out but that's all too much to fit in the box!
We don't do the Christmas Eve box.

FoofFighter Mon 27-Nov-17 11:41:36

Yes I have, but because of contact issues and uni exam dates, I gave it out last night. And because it's his turn for xmas this year so it's also the stuff I had bought for her stocking.

Advent calendar
new pjs
xmas top
xmas socks
xmas chocs
candy canes and a few decorations for the tree
a "you are on the nice list" so far letter from FC
xmas cards for her to send to her friends
colouring stuff

Isadora2007 Mon 27-Nov-17 13:34:05

Not a box and not on December the 1st... but gradually over the next week the Xmas books will be bright out and added to with the new ones. I am washing the Xmas bedsheets today so they will be put on once dried. The Xmas pjs will begin to be used after this weekend probably. Xmas fleece blankets will replace the everyday lounge ones, we will set out the Xmas dvds for the Monday movie night and add on a Friday family movie too...
I don’t do Xmas eve boxes- spread it out over advent really. Most things are from years gone by- fisher price nativity and santa street toys, rag doll angel, DVDs etc. Only new additions this year are PJs and books. Oh and an advent candle too.

lostlalaloopsy Mon 27-Nov-17 14:12:08

I do both boxes!! The 1st box will have christmas fleece blankets, Christmas countdown ornament, Santa snow globe and advent calendars. Apart from advent calendars it's all stuff we use every year. The elf usually brings although I'm struggling to find him this year!!!

Peopleplease Mon 27-Nov-17 14:53:07

From ideas on here I’d like to get a Christmas jumper and fleece yet. We’re getting bath bombs on 2nd December (shopping trip to ‘big city!’)

QueenOnAPlate Mon 27-Nov-17 16:27:18

I get little pound shop novelties - Christmas themed deely boppers, badges etc. They each get a tree for their room, bedding, socks and an advent calendar.

SatsukiKusakabe Mon 27-Nov-17 16:40:28

Not as such, but like others I put all the Christmas books out in a basket, there might be a new one if I’ve happened to pick one up, and the wooden advent calendars go on the mantle the blankets come out on the sofa.

I usually decorate the table with some Christmassy bits, get their Christmas mugs out and give them a special breakfast - just coco pops and strawberry milk or something like that, put the Christmas music on and do a countdown of sleeps on the chalkboard. I don’t buy new things though really as it can all get a bit too much by the day, for me personally anyway. I get them new pyjamas on Christmas Eve but they are not themed so they can wear them whenever. I understand if you’re getting themed things to move it to the beginning of the month though.

poisonedbypen Mon 27-Nov-17 16:56:00

You are all making me feel like I don't do Christmas properly! We have advent calendars & then presents on Christmas day. I must be out of date! I'm planning on doing a reverse advent calendar this year.

Nicpem1982 Mon 27-Nov-17 17:00:52

Sort of.....

Our elves turn up with a letter and some goodies on the first and then periodically little treats on the run up for Christmas, our elves do tricks or treats throughout Dec so no reporting to santa, so far we have

Chocolate Advent calander
Christmas story book
Fluffy pj's
Xmas decoration

Then other bits and bobs like Xmas socks and pants, Disney jewellery, Christmas story books, new cookie cutters for Christmas baking, popcorn and movie etc just bits and bobs really

I love the idea of a basket of Christmas books by the side of the tree for hot chocolate and stories too

GoGoGazelle Mon 27-Nov-17 17:02:21

No, but they will get an advent calendar and I'll un-hide the Christmas books that we've accumulated over the years.

AStarCalledAeryn Mon 27-Nov-17 17:22:14

Yep, instead of a Christmas Eve box. It doesn't have much new in it, but things like our advent calendars, a couple of Christmassy soft toys, colouring sheets, mugs, books, and packets of candy canes or chocolates to give out at the children's activities to their friends.

marvincocker Mon 27-Nov-17 17:28:14

You are all making me feel like I don't do Christmas properly! We have advent calendars & then presents on Christmas day. I must be out of date! I'm planning on doing a reverse advent calendar this year.

No, you are doing it properly.

Personally I think if you go too overboard it dilutes the magic for children.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 27-Nov-17 17:44:38

I started doing the boxes on the 1st rather than the 24th.
Mine will be 15.6 and 18 yo by Christmas, so they have things they'll use all December then into winter and beyond.

New dressing gowns
New PJs (not Christmas ones but wintery /fleecy ones)
Underwear
Selection boxes
Something for the bath (Lush)

DD has new pens (she'll use at school)
DD also has a load of wrapped beauty gifts ( bought my me rather than an Advent Calender that she wouldn't use)
And a chocolate Thorntons Gruffalo one (her choice)

She has her winter bedding on by Hallowe'en most years and she'll get her new grey/silver snowflake blanket on 1st
DS will have his winter duvet set (red with snowflakes)
Don't know if he wants an Advent calender.

We have a little model musical tree that comes out every year , tiny ornaments hang on every day fgrin

QueenOnAPlate Mon 27-Nov-17 18:35:21

I don't think it's about comparing - we are all in different family situations and different things work for all of us. For some people a 1st December box works because they already have bedding and give advent calendars for instance. I'm not sure why in the CHRISTMAS forum people feel the need to judge each other, most of us are here for ideas not Scrooge grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now