Talk

Advanced search

Met Police Christmas Tree Appeal 2017

(43 Posts)
Waterlemon Fri 17-Nov-17 20:38:43

The Metropolitan Police Christmas Tree Project is raising funds to buy Christmas gifts for children and young people that might otherwise not receive anything at all.

Once you have registered, you will be given an age and sex to buy for. You then drop off your gift into your local police station, unwrapped. No battery powered gifts or food items, gift bags very much welcomed.

Your local police officers will then distribute the gifts to local children in care over Christmas.

www.met.police.uk/applyregister/met-christmas-appeal/

Waterlemon Fri 17-Nov-17 20:41:00

I have been allocated a 14yr old boy.

So I'm thinking of a gift voucher, but where for? The suggested spend is £20, that won't go far in many of the trendy teen stores!

ChaChaChaCh4nges Fri 17-Nov-17 20:44:58

I got a 17 year old girl, and I’m thinking an Amazon voucher plus some cosmetics.

I work half a mile from Holborn police station. If anyone wants to participate but is put off by the need to deliver in person then PM me and we can find a way for me to deliver on your behalf (I’ll send you my work email address so you can verify where I work; I’m relaxed about being identified in RL for a good cause).

nether Fri 17-Nov-17 20:45:21

Good shout, ^waterlemon*

The Met also visit and give presents children who are hospital inpatients over Christmas.

Solasum Fri 17-Nov-17 20:48:16

Any recommendations for a 12 year old girl?

SquirmOfEels Fri 17-Nov-17 20:48:54

I've just been allocated a 2 yo boy - I'm way past the toddler years!

Waterlemon Fri 17-Nov-17 20:57:05

@solasum my nieces love lush, stationary (although they are far too mature and cool for smiggle) craft kits,
or H&M kids go up to age 14 and they would get a few bits for their money, new look, primarni?

Leeds2 Fri 17-Nov-17 20:58:45

For a 12 year old girl, I would probably get a gift set from Lush. I would've said top it up with a selection box, but OP says that food isn't allowed, so I would probably add a t shirt (TK Maxx or Primark).
I also saw Jack Wills sets on special offer at my local Boots, which might be well received. My DD loved Jack Wills at that age.

Solasum Fri 17-Nov-17 21:27:29

@squirmofeels, I reckon Duplo or play doh is the way forward. The number train is very cool and will still be played with for a few years.

Thanks for the tips. I will see what Lush can provide!

DandelionAndBedrock Fri 17-Nov-17 21:33:44

I had babies/toddlers last year, and have this year as well.

Last year I did a book and a linked toy (you can get cuddly very hungry caterpillars, that sort of thing), and a coordinated piece of clothing. This year I've ordered some of the nice gap kids hats/gloves - I wouldn't want to do that instead of a gift but I figure, especially for a little one who might not really remember much about Christmas, having a special bit of clothing might be nice for them AND help out a struggling parent.

You can also donate wrapping materials, because all gifts have to be delivered unwrapped.

DandelionAndBedrock Fri 17-Nov-17 21:36:16

@squirmofeels I got last year's version of these blocks when I had a 2 year old in a similar thing run by someone else.

Treadlightly Fri 17-Nov-17 21:52:26

Thanks watermelon! I'd forgotten about this!
I got a 17 Year old girl
I'm thinking a boots voucher?

Retreatbynameretreatbynature Fri 17-Nov-17 22:15:28

I’ve got to get presents for a 3 year old boy, a 4 year old boy and 12 year old boy. Any ideas very much appreciated! My teenage daughter is keen to help choose pressies but we’re a bit stuck for ideas!

Akire Fri 17-Nov-17 22:21:09

That’s lovely idea, though sure kids would like to open something especially if it’s the only gift they will get. How about “trendy” scarf hat or gloves and some smellies or art or craft items? There’s a lot can get for £20

PercySimone Fri 17-Nov-17 22:34:56

Do you know if this is only a London thing? I’d love to contribute but I’m not in London.

TheFlis12345 Fri 17-Nov-17 22:37:35

I have been allocated 3 teenage boys! 14, 16 and 17. Bit outside my knowledge area. Thinking maybe something Nike / Adidas of non-specific size (scarf or hat?) and a Starbucks gift card. Would that be ok?

CroakingCrocus Sat 18-Nov-17 06:40:32

I've got an 8 year old boy. Would a Lego Creative set be a good gift? I've got an 8 year old girl and she likes Lego a lot. I've asked her to poll boys in her class but worried she'll just get crazily expensive ideas back.

Arriettyborrower Sat 18-Nov-17 06:51:18

croaking my 8 yro boy would love Lego creative. He also likes horrid Henry books and notebooks and grown up pens - particularly those pilot roller ball eraser pens but that may well be specific to him!

Other things he likes:
Card games
Board games
Jigsaws
Magnetic picture board things
Magic sets
Ink stamps
Spy kit things - invisible ink, walkie talkies etc

Ahrightsoted Sat 18-Nov-17 07:05:40

Last year I had a 15 yr old boy and got him a hype man bag and this year I've been given a 3yr old girl. I'm thinking a doll but my dd reckons colouring in stuff.

MrsPringles Sat 18-Nov-17 07:11:30

I’ve been waiting for this! Did it last year and really wanted to do it again this year, thank you for sharing the link

dertyyuoih2 Sat 18-Nov-17 07:13:43

Teenage boys I’d go for a jd voucher or sports direct type of thing. Whatever could be relatively close to the area they’d live so they could spend it. I’d also buy some chocolate / sweets also

dertyyuoih2 Sat 18-Nov-17 07:15:24

3/4 year old boy, anything trains / trucks related. For £20 you could actually get a ride on scooter!

MrsPringles Sat 18-Nov-17 07:17:14

*Retreat
I own a 3 year old boy - He likes Duplo, play doh, Happyland, Peppa Pig playsets and figures, ELC knockoff of Hungry Hippo game, plastic tools so he can ‘build’ Paw Patrol or PJ Masks anything

dertyyuoih2 Sat 18-Nov-17 07:17:49

@retreat
www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/outdoor/scooters/tri-scooters/pj-masks-tri-scooter/p/158789 This for a 4 year old

SquirmOfEels Sat 18-Nov-17 07:18:08

Do you know if this is only a London thing? I’d love to contribute but I’m not in London.

This particular scheme is the Met police so yes, it's London only.

But other police and fire services may well be running similar, or perhaps the Sally Army. You'll need to ask around in your area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now