Talk

Advanced search

I need a good sausage roll recipie

(19 Posts)
TomatoTomAto Sun 12-Nov-17 14:11:39

I always think about making my own sausage rolls but then never do, mainly because I run out of time. This year I'm determined!
Please hit me with your best sausage roll recipes please ☺

LadyPenelope68 Sun 12-Nov-17 14:15:43

You can’t go wrong with Mary Berry or Delia’s recipes, both gorgeous and both freeze well.

NoWordForFluffy Sun 12-Nov-17 14:15:51

I'm doing these Jamie Oliver ones this year. No idea what they're like, but they're nice and easy to do!

TomatoTomAto Sun 12-Nov-17 14:17:13

Thanks so much. I'll have a look at them. Freezing well is an absolute must!

mickhucknallspinkpancakes Sun 12-Nov-17 14:18:26

Definitely Delias - they never fail me and you can freeze them well.

ToEarlyForDecorations Sun 12-Nov-17 14:31:14

Here's mine, I roll it out every year. No pun intended !

1 pack of sausage meat
1 onion, chopped
1 squirt of tomato puree
1 pinch of dried mixed herbs
1 pinch of dried sage
A few shakes of Worcestershire Sauce
A bit of salt and pepper
1 pack frozen puff or flaky pastry
1 raw egg
A bit of milk

Method:

1. Unwrap raw sausage meat and place it in a bowl.
2. Mix all other ingredients together (get your hands involved) except for the pastry.
3. Roll the pastry out to the length of your work surface and about a handspan wide.
4. Fold it over so it looks like a book. Cut through the 'spine' of the book, so you are not scoring your work surface.
5. On each wide strip of pastry put several blobs of the sausage meat mixture.
6. Smooth the blobs until you have a long snake of sausage meat down the middle of the pastry strip.
7. Break an egg, whisk it with some milk.
8. Brush one edge/border of the pastry with the 'eggwash' egg mixture.
9. Bring the un-eggwashed side over to the eggwashed side of the pastry and crimp it closed or just get a fork and press it all the way along.
10. Brush the whole sausage roll with the 'eggwash' mixture.
11. Bake it whole and huge in a hot over for 40 minutes until golden brown. Or cut it into individual sausage rolls (smaller if it's going to cocktail sausage rolls.) For the same length of time.
12. When cooked, remove from the oven and put the sausage rolls on a wire cooling rack. Eat hot or cold.

greendale17 Sun 12-Nov-17 14:39:08

I would recommend Delia Smiths recipe

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Sun 12-Nov-17 16:00:30

The Delia ones look amazing and there is video to show you

www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/third-term-pastry-flour-based-sauces-and-batters/lesson-3-quick-flaky-pastry

Alabasterangel6 Sun 12-Nov-17 16:06:10

Always delia. I make two lots, sausage meat and her veggie ones too. The veggie ones get eaten before the meat ones every time grin

viques Sun 12-Nov-17 16:11:58

In case your good intentions come to nothing can I offer up the tesco vegetarian sausage roll? they are in the frozen vegetarian section, you get 30in a bag , and they are often on a bog off if you are catering for masses. they really are delicious, fabulous flakey pastry and honestly, you would be hard put to tell that they are vegetarian! they are one of my go to freezer items. I live in fear that they will stop making them, as they appear to have done with the little rice cracker snack things I love. Loved.Damn you Tesco, damn you.

Nightmanagerfan Sun 12-Nov-17 16:15:09

I don’t have a recipe but I usually use good quality herby sausages - remove the meat and then add lots of grated lemon zest, seasoning and herbs before rolling up in Jus Roll. Delicious.

anythingbutlillies Sun 12-Nov-17 17:07:22

Adding to threads I'm on!

TomatoTomAto Sun 12-Nov-17 18:11:12

Wow thank you all so much!
ToEarly I'm definitely going to have a dry run in the next couple of weeks with your recipie.
Viques they sound like something worth having in the freezer just incase!

TwitterQueen1 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:14:41

I too just use ready-made sausages and simply snip the skins and squeeze out the meat. I usually add a whole load of herbs and sometimes put some chutney on top. You could put cheese or apple sauce on top of the sausage meat too. Yum. They taste so much nicer than shop bought rolls.

StatueInTheSky Sun 12-Nov-17 18:17:24

i grate an apple into the sausage meat...use the fine side of the grater. Squish it all up,plenty of S&P and maybe some sage or herb of your choice in there too

form sausage mix into sausage shape and lay onto puffpastry and use egg to seal, press down a little and the glaze with more beaten egg, then do little slashes across the top....not quite deep enough to go through the pastry

cut them a bit bigger than your thumb end joint and set onto a baking tray Do all the glazing/slashing before you make them into individuals, or you will be at it for ever.

Freeze or cook at that point. If you freeze them then you can shake them off the tray into a sturdy box/bag to take up less room in the freezer and just put them back on a tray to cook

Casablanca78 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:17:56

I do such a simple one but always get rave reviews and requests to bring them to any gathering. All it takes is some decent sausages, chopped up onion and the secret is - sage & onion stuffing mix. Try it, so easy but so tasty!

TomatoTomAto Sun 12-Nov-17 20:17:41

I can see quite a lot of sausage rolls in my future. Thank you!

gingerbreadmam Sun 12-Nov-17 20:36:12

Mine are fairly simple but my family go mad for them.

Pack of sausage meat. One or two onions chopped and boiled until soft. One clove of garlic crushed and salt and pepper. All moved up then rolled up in puff pastry. I did add about two tablespoons of ketchup last time which enhanced the taste. Lovely.

Serin Sun 12-Nov-17 20:42:23

I never buy sausage meat, it always looks crap quality.

I just buy the best sausages I can find and squeeze the meat out, it only takes a minute or 2.

I use ready bought all butter puff pastry, roll it out, add sausage meat and a line of caramalised onion chutney or whatever takes my fancy.

I put poppy seeds on top which helps them to look a lot posher.

DS says they are almost as good as greggs hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now