Talk

Advanced search

Recipe please so I can use my new Christmas Cutters!

(11 Posts)
macnab Mon 06-Nov-17 15:35:12

On a whim (what's new hmm) I bought some festive pastry cutters. I never bake anything that requires cutting! Can anyone suggest a recipe that I could use these with?! A quick look at cookie recipes on bbcgoodfood site is suggesting that you just spoon blobs of the mixture onto a tray and then bake, so no need for cutters. I thought it would be nice to do some baking with DD ahead of the school Christmas Bake Sale. Any ideas would be hugely welcome fsmile

MrsHathaway Mon 06-Nov-17 15:46:33

My favourite shaped bake - successful over and over again including last week for Hallowe'en using a cat cutter and a ghost cutter - is cheese puffs.

Jus Rol puff pastry. Brush with milk*. Sprinkle over a little finely grated cheese. Bake.

* optionally add ground mustard or paprika

Also marking place for good biscuit recipes esp gingerbread. I agree that they often grow sideways too much which is no use for intricate designs.

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 06-Nov-17 15:47:54

I would use Nigella's recipe for butter cut-out cookies. I can't post a link as the page won't load properly on my phone but the recipe is on the internet or in her domestic goddess book.

BrieAndChilli Mon 06-Nov-17 15:53:40

There are recipes for biscuits that hold thier shape.

You could also use the cutters to cut pastry shapes and put on top of a pie/ mince pies

SandLand Mon 06-Nov-17 16:02:24

321 biscuits.

Cream 100g sugar with 200g of butter. Mix in 300g of plain flour.
Roll out, cut.
10 mins in the oven at 180.
Can be iced.

Cariatiobs: teaspoon of ground ginger in mixture, or orange/lemon rind, or replace some of the flour with cocoa.

DeadDoorpost Mon 06-Nov-17 16:05:32

I might try out that 321 recipe thank you for That!
I like baking thin cakes and cutting the shapes out afterwards and decorating them. Or making gingerbread but I don't have the recipe... my mum does and she's very secretive of it as it's her own one she worked on. Same as her cookies 😭 I'd love to get hold of them but even the written recipe is in code

TheKitchenWitch Mon 06-Nov-17 16:06:11

I bake a LOT of cut biscuits as I have a massive collection of cutters.

Best recipe imo is here:
www.sweetsugarbelle.com/2011/06/basic-sugar-cookie-recipe-2/
Gives consistently perfect flat biscuits that don’t spread at all.

And if you want a gingerbread-type dough you can roll and cut really well, then this one is perfect:
www.google.de/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3000/gingerbread-trees%3famp
I’ve used it to make hundreds of gingerbread men!

TheTurnOfTheScrew Mon 06-Nov-17 16:08:14

yy to the Nigella butter cut-out cookie recipe - works really well with fiddly shapes. you can make it a bit more festive with some mixed spice without affecting the texture.

macnab Mon 06-Nov-17 16:22:14

Thank you all so much!

DD will have great fun icing the cookies fsmile

Etymology23 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:24:02

That 3,2,1 recipe is my shortbread recipe! I add vanilla essence too.

LostMyRubySlippers Mon 06-Nov-17 21:30:35

I was also going to suggest the Nigella one mentioned above as they hold their shape well

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: