Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which scooter for 5 year old?

(15 Posts)
CailinRua Fri 09-Nov-12 13:09:18

Can anyone give advice on which scooter I should get for my 5 year old DS? I'm so confused as there are so many on the market and they vary hugely in price. He is tall for his age but has co-ordination issues due to ASD, e.g he can't pedal bike at all. He has finally and proudly mastered his scooter but it is a toddler one so I want to get him a 'big boy' one, but I want him to be able to use it properly. Any advice would be much appreciated.

crazygracieuk Fri 09-Nov-12 13:10:26

A Maxi Micro would be easiest but is unfortunately very pricey.

CailinRua Fri 09-Nov-12 13:16:31

Thanks crazygracie, I must start researching maxi micros. Any idea of rough price, best place to buy?

kiwidreamer Fri 09-Nov-12 13:17:56

I'd go with Maxi Micro too, yes its pricey but its so sturdy and stable it will give him confidence. My DS is a large boy and at 3yrs was at the weight limit for the Mini Micro so we went for the Maxi and its been brilliant, DS is now 4.4yrs and will get a few more years at least out of the scooter so on the cost per scoot basis it isnt too bad wink

kiwidreamer Fri 09-Nov-12 13:20:49

We got ours direct from Micro Scooters themselves, they are doing lots of bundle offers for xmas I think. JL also stock and Jo Jo Maman Bebe do as well I think and they do the MN code plus free delivery but Im not sure if they stock the Maxi or just the Mini.

The scooter is just shy of £100... cost per scoot... cost per scoot... cost per scoot tries to justify pricetag to self

AudrinaAdare Fri 09-Nov-12 13:22:28

I got this for my DS who is the same age and also has ASD.

It's made by the same people and also sturdy but isn't a stunt scooter which is okay for him - he just wants one which looks grown up.

feetheart Fri 09-Nov-12 13:23:13

Maxi would be brilliant as they have 3 wheels (2 at front 1 at back) so are completely stable but are also VERY cool. Only problem he might have is that you steer them by tilting the handlebar not turning it so he would have to learn how to steer again as it would be different.

Yes they are expensive (about £100 now I think) but it will last until he is at least 12 so 7 years. That works out at about £14 a year! This is how we justified getting DS one for his 5th birthday. He turned 7 this week and it is used almost daily (as was the Mini Micro before) Definitely the best value presents we have ever bought him.

AudrinaAdare Fri 09-Nov-12 13:25:47

Oh and the negative review from 2009 sounds as if the "Rocking Rev" was riding it himself talking about going over bumps etc. No wonder the main pillar kept collapsing grin

CailinRua Fri 09-Nov-12 13:37:25

Thanks so much everyone, at least I've an idea of where to start now. I will start pricing around for the Maxi Micro and check out that Sprite Micro one too. Lol at the review from 'Rocking Rev' too! Just want to make sure I can get him one he can use and enjoy! Good idea to think of 'price for scoot' - will use that idea on my DH!

noisytoys Fri 09-Nov-12 13:38:27

I would definitely recommend a proper micro scooter. Ours is on child 3 and has taken a beating and still looks nearly new it is great and soon will be used for a 4th child grin

JJWMummy Fri 09-Nov-12 17:13:08

Definitely the maxi micro, DS1 had his age 8 and he's still able to use it now at 13yrs!

Cost £90 at the time but I guess they've prob gone up since then.

Oh and he has ASD and balance issues also, still unable to ride a bike.

HTH

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 09-Nov-12 17:16:15

OP get a JD bug, every child round where I live have them, they last forever and ever and ever and don't make that horrible annoying noise when going along the path. It will last them till they're older to.

ATM in halfords and argos the original bugs are between £20 and £25 which is pretty damn good when they used to be between £50 and £70.

cece Fri 09-Nov-12 17:20:26

My 3 year old has been terrible on his micro 3 wheeler one and I have given him a 2 wheeler one. He is soooo much better on it, so I am not convinced those 3 wheeler ones all the toddlers have are any good.

CailinRua Fri 09-Nov-12 19:51:12

Thanks everyone for all the advice, will check the different suggestions out over the weekend!

accessorizequeen Fri 09-Nov-12 20:31:24

I have 4 dc, we've tried other scooters but micros rule! Jojo do stock the maxi in black I just bought one for my 5yo. My 4yo twins ride the minis and have never had a problem they love them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now