My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

"I love it when you're not into it"- as Homer just said to Marge in The Simpsons

35 replies

Hogmanayhoneyblossom · 30/12/2011 11:03

I am open jawed!

'the monkey suit' episode just finished on c4 now. FFS I expected more from this show.

OP posts:
StewieGriffinsMom · 30/12/2011 11:51

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZacharyQuack · 30/12/2011 11:52

You expected more from Homer Simpson?

CogitoErgoSometimes · 30/12/2011 12:35

Not into what?

Hogmanayhoneyblossom · 30/12/2011 12:49

They were in bed and she was engrossed in a book so the insinuation was sex.

I know it isn't what you would call a 'feminist' show nor is HS an enlightened character but I've never seen it or him normalising coerced sex/rape before.

These small inferences are what breeds a rape culture imo.

OP posts:
SardineQueen · 30/12/2011 13:04

I sort of remember that episode

They have been married for donkeys years, I took it as a joke about how sex can become routine when you've been with someone for that long rather than about rape or coercion. She isn't bothered by him IIRC and they don't actually have sex he's trying to instigate it and she's just ignoring him and reading. I think. My memory isn't perfect on the simpsons.

CogitoErgoSometimes · 30/12/2011 13:53

Think you're reading too much into it if Homer is encouraging rape. Jokes about 'lie back and think of England' dull-as-ditchwater marital sex are a comedy stereotype perennial. Keep watching though, because there are definitely several episodes where he lavishly strangles Bart..... it's those kind of inferences that breed a child abuse culture. Hmm

PamBeesly · 30/12/2011 14:27

Thats awful, as is the 'jokey' child abuse. I do not watch The Simpsons, I've never seen a full episide but I have see Family Guy and it turns my stomach its so awful, awful, awful...how does it get away with it?

Pagwatch · 30/12/2011 14:49

Is the point not that he is meant to be awful - a hideous representation of a man as a parent and a partner. In the same way that Alf Garnett said racist things but the point of the programme was anti racism. You were meant to be horrified by him. That's the point.
Unless the stuff like "let's just forget about Bart and concentrate on the other two" and strangling Bart etc is all fine?

CowboysGal · 30/12/2011 16:24

The Simpsons normalising rape???

Malificence · 30/12/2011 17:28

Family guy is utterly brilliant, as is American dad - they are meant to be shocking (and hilarious).
The Simpsons I can take or leave but I really don't think it encourages rape or child abuse.

PamBeesly · 30/12/2011 17:39

Family Guy is shocking, maybe its supposed to be, but its outrageously insulting and discriminatory, I don't find the funny

SardineQueen · 30/12/2011 17:43

I don't like family guy, have only seen it a couple of times.

Used to be a big south park fan though Grin

StewieGriffinsMom · 30/12/2011 21:33

PamBeesly · 31/12/2011 15:43

I often think the people who write Lois's character must hate women, or am I missing some larger point?

StewieGriffinsMom · 31/12/2011 15:53

SardineQueen · 31/12/2011 16:49

Lisa Simpson rocks though Smile

Hogmanayhoneyblossom · 31/12/2011 18:49

So your name's ironic, SGM?

OP posts:
lisaro · 31/12/2011 19:02

FGS! Homer is a prime example of the shallow end of the gene pool. Also educationally subnormal, no charm, greedy, selfish and yes, slightly mysoginistic. That's the whole point of him saying or doing all the stuff he does. To show that these things are not normal. Can't you see that?

StewieGriffinsMom · 31/12/2011 19:12

gottagetanewcalender · 31/12/2011 20:41

The Simpsons and Family Guy take the piss out of the views they represent, they get extreme to show the ridiculousness of "the American 1950's attitudes", it just depends on how you view it.

Also Homer is actually devoted to Marge and it is shown on many episodes that he would be nothing without her. I think the shows that portray what would happen if Marge left highlight her importance, you have to be a regular long term viewer to 'get it'.

StewieGriffinsMom · 31/12/2011 21:17

TheBrandyButterflyEffect · 31/12/2011 23:03

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

StewieGriffinsMom · 01/01/2012 10:02

EdithWeston · 01/01/2012 10:10

The programme shows what happens in US families and relationships in immediately recognisable form. And mocks it. And anyone with a half a brain can see that (though George Bush was caught out!)

The mockery is a good thing, and far more effective than sermonising. Look how people remember the episodes and their reactions to them. And seeing how not to be stupid like Homer is a good thing, unless the population is too thick to get it.

SardineQueen · 01/01/2012 11:50

I think the pressure on Marge from her friends and community and herself to be the "perfect housewife" is acknowledged very clearly TBH and the fact that everyone takes her for granted is a message which features in a lot of the episodes.

The episode where Lisa takes on creationism in schools is absolutely brilliant. There are loads featuring Lisa that take on important issues.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.