Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

Milk in a sippy cup

10 replies

Magenta82 · 10/10/2022 10:21

My DD was 1 at the start of the month and the health visitor told me I need to be stopping bottles because they are bad for her teeth.

The problem is I can't get DD to take milk from a sippy cup. She will take both formula and cows milk from a bottle, will drink water from most kinds of baby cup, but not milk, either cows or formula.

Any suggestions? Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Magenta82 · 10/10/2022 11:51

If I offer her milk in a cup she will take a sip, look cross and drop or throw the cup, if straight after this I offer water or the same milk tipped into a bottle she will take the milk and drink it all, she will then happily move on to the water and sip at that . It seems to be the combination of cup and milk that annoys her.

OP posts:
Please
or

Doo5 · 10/10/2022 12:04

Hi my son is 13 months, he still has a small bottle of cows milk before bed. However he has milk in his weetabix for breakfast, he has yoghurt once a day and has cheese usually at some point so I believe he's getting enough milk through these. He only takes a few sips of milk from a cup but because he has it in other forms I'm not too worried.
They actually don't need that much milk, something like 400 ml a day (don't quote me).
I don't know if that's helpful!

Please
or

Magenta82 · 10/10/2022 15:13

Thanks, I'm not really worried about her daily intake, she eats cheese and yoghurt and will take milk in a bottle, I'm still giving her one at night.

I'm probably worrying too much, but its the bottle that is the issue, I was told they can be damaging to kids' teeth.

OP posts:
Please
or

MarigoldMoonStone · 10/10/2022 15:15

www.amazon.co.uk/NUK-Leak-Proof-Toughened-Protective-BPA-Free/dp/B08W5G5K6P?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

I used one of these for my daughter, it took her a few attempts to get used to it and I didn’t push/rush it & just used bottles till she got the hang of it

Please
or

lilroo87 · 10/10/2022 15:25

Have you tried teaching her to use a straw?
When we started weaning DD at 6 months (food not off breast milk) we taught her how to use a straw for sips of water and now she drinks all of her drinks with a straw.
We have tried open cups but she still makes quite a mess but she's really happy using straws so definitely worth a try.
There's videos online to help but my DD learnt really fast

Please
or

mondaytosunday · 10/10/2022 15:44

So don't give her milk. It's not essential - as you say she's getting the nutrients in other ways.

Please
or

AriettyHomily · 10/10/2022 15:55

I'd just stop with the milk.

Please
or

Speedweed · 10/10/2022 16:03

Could you change her routine so you give her the bottle then brush her teeth?

My little one has the same attitude to milk in a cup, and only drinks it out of the bottle. For some reason I think a straw or teat are better than a cup as the sucking moves the milk past the teeth, whereas that's not the case with a cup.

Please
or

mrshadders · 10/10/2022 16:09

I was just about to write the same post! My daughter feeds to sleep so I don't feel I could remove the milk/bottle entirely without disrupting our whole lives (!) as she's currently a good sleeper. Trying to find a bottle/cup she will drink from. I've got the Nuk one recommended by @MarigoldMoonStone so will try again with that. Any other cup recommendations?

Please
or

Magenta82 · 10/10/2022 16:34

Thanks all, I'll try the Nuk cup.
I would like her to get used to drinking cows milk, I refused from early childhood and have been calcium deficient.
Interestingly I only developed a liking for milk during pregnancy, I started craving it and still enjoy it in coffee etc. Previously I wouldn't have it in tea, coffee, cereal etc.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?