Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Previously posted in 'undiagnosed' bit. About 18 yr old dd

Shivers1 · 17/08/2021 16:04

Hoping for some advice. I have suspected that my wonderful daughter has ASD for quite some time and all things considered this has not proved to be too problematic. DD has a p/t job, has done well at school and is off to university. A number of incidents recently though have highlighted that she is encountering obstacles - some small, some big... dental visits/lack of a social life/food/diet etc. I have mentioned to her that she may have ASD, but she has made no moves to research this . Can anyone recommend a book she could read (geared towards older teenagers/young women) or how I could approach a conversation with her about it all? She's very sensitive and I don't want to distress her in any way. I'd also like to know your views on whether she needs a diagnosis. At this stage, what would this achieve? Many thanks in advance.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlankTimes · 06/09/2021 12:32

I like Purple Ella www.youtube.com/channel/UCzske-KMAJYQn84rz6oD_yA

Also try Tania Marshall and Sarah Hendricks

Luke Jackson's two books describe the struggles of being autistic in a more lighthearted way.
Freaks, Geeks, and Asperger Syndrome
Sex, Drugs and Asperger's Syndrome

These recent threads may be useful
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4309176-To-ask-what-its-like-to-be-neurodiverse?pg=1

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4319126-Help-understanding-autism?pg=1

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4314697-How-common-is-ASD?pg=1

Your daughter's Uni should have a disability section which may well help with referral for diagnosis, but she will have to tell them what she needs.
Otherwise diagnosis is via the GP rpute, or private.

Hopefully other posters will be along soon with more recommendations and advice.

Please
or

BlankTimes · 06/09/2021 12:50

Sorry, GP route

Please
or

oneofthegiantsisme · 26/09/2021 19:04

Not sure if this will help, but DD was diagnosed with ASD halfway through her second go at first year in uni (having failed the first year because executive function issues mean she didn't manage to hand in any of the required essays, and had a non-functioning day on one of her exams).

She's embraced the diagnosis, and has found her way to a tribe of neurodivergent people at uni. She's also got Disabled Student Allowance, which pays for a mentor to help her (we haven't seen much benefit from that so far, as she's spent a lot of time at home due to lockdowns, but she's hopeful that it will help a lot this year). In addition, she gets "special circumstances" leeway for deadlines automatically without needing to submit a form every time.

So, there are advantages to getting a diagnosis, even at this late stage, if any accommodations could help your daughter.

We paid for a private assessment, because we felt that with the way her time at uni was being affected she couldn't afford to wait for NHS (plus, her executive function issues meant I wasn't sure whether she was even on the list at uni - paying private meant we were in control of it happening). I realise that's not an option for everyone - it was not cheap.

There are a few fiction books which feature autistic main characters - I haven't read any of them, but follow authors on Twitter - so you could try seeing if she identifies with the protagonist, maybe? Geek Girl by Holly Smale or A Kind of Spark by Elle McNicoll both get mentioned a lot.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.