My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Need your expertise please?

10 replies

batey · 25/01/2004 07:34

Well, this is my first post on this topic and I'm hoping you can halp. Thing is, over the years and more recently, my sister has asked me if I think her ds1 is autistic. I don't think he is but I don't "know", I have nothing to base that on. So I thought I'd check with you guys who have a great deal more knowledge on this than I do.

The reasons she worries are that he's often in a daydream, She often tells him to snap out of it,he finds it hard to concentrate (he's 10 btw), gets easily very upset by small things, is prone to crying alot about small things. Educationaly, he's bright with his maths, struggles more with his English. He's very good with music, reads it v. well and up to grade 4 with clarinet. He loves and is good at computor games. She worries mainly about his concentation skills and moving onto Secondary school and potentialy being bullied if he can't control how upset he gets about things.
Is he just an average lad of 10, could he have got to 10 with no one in the Ed. system noticing if there was a problem? What do you think?

OP posts:
Jimjams · 25/01/2004 09:11

well we all have some autistic tendencies. I personally don't really agree with dxing unless it's needed. In a case such as this maybe he does have more tendencies than most- but that doesn't make him autistic iyswim.

She could try doing the Sally-Anne test with him, Even high functioning autistic often fail this (if they do get it they develop it later- NT children develop it by 5)

batey · 25/01/2004 09:31

Dxing??

OP posts:
Jimjams · 25/01/2004 09:34

diagnosing

batey · 25/01/2004 09:35

Is there anything she could do to help his concentration/dayreaming do you think?

OP posts:
Jimjams · 25/01/2004 09:40

Does it cause him problems? (Other than infuriating his mother I mean). Does he get into trouble at school for it?

Has his hearing been tested recently?

Unless he's finding life/school really hard I just don't think there's much point persuing it- unless he fails the Sally-Anne test of course- then I would as not understanding that will always cause problems.

Otherwise maybe read some books about AS- Luke Jackson's books are good or Claire Sainsbury- Martian in the Playground, or Tony Attwood's books. It'll give your sister more idea of whether he really has problems or whether he just a bit dreamy.

hmb · 25/01/2004 09:44

I don't want to jump to worrying about something different, but are they sure that is is daydreaming and not having petit mal seizures? These present as the child being 'dreamy' and 'out of it'.

batey · 25/01/2004 09:47

It causes him problems in the sense that he drifts off at school when he should be working and gets sent home with work he should have done at school, that all the others finished. I think she worries about him socially due to the crying. It is better than it was but that's due to a huge effort on both their parts. But I don't think she feels he's on top of it. She's worried he's a loner and will find secondary school very hard. He was bullied when he first started school for quite a while.

I will mention about getting his hearing tested.And the Sally-Anne test, books etc. Cheers JimJams.

OP posts:
batey · 25/01/2004 09:49

Hmb, nothing's ever been checked really, would that be with a GP?

OP posts:
batey · 25/01/2004 10:07

Just Yahoo'd petit mal seizures and it does sound like him so it may be worth looking into. thanks for that.

OP posts:
hmb · 25/01/2004 10:18

It may not be petit mal, but it is worth looking into, especialy if the child is hard to 'get back' from a day dream. On the other hand he might just have an amazing imagination and enjoy the day dreams, I did when I was a kid!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.