My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

at last!!!!

31 replies

Jimjambells · 23/12/2003 20:23

After 4 and a half years we finally have a totally recognisable word from one of our children. "No" from ds2 (with an 'n'- rather than a "doh" as we have had up to now).

OP posts:
Festivefly · 23/12/2003 20:24

What a lovely christmas present jimjams, congratulations, you must be so proud (of yourself too)

popsycal · 23/12/2003 20:32

awwwh jimjams!!!

tinselcat · 23/12/2003 21:19

What a word to finally pick up!!!!!!! Well done!

TinselDragon · 23/12/2003 21:26

You must be delighted!

santafio2 · 23/12/2003 21:39

thats lovely jimjams and i soooo understand!

jinglesaur · 23/12/2003 22:56

Good stuff, Jimjambells junior. And happy Christmas to the whole Jimjams family.

jmb1964 · 23/12/2003 23:49

Great news Jimjams - wonder if it might be yes next? Well done jimjamington.. xx

SnowmAngeliz · 23/12/2003 23:56

Good for ds2 Jimjambells Bet you're over the moon.

Demented · 24/12/2003 00:10

Lovely news Jimjams!

FairyLou · 24/12/2003 10:50
Grin
hmb · 24/12/2003 10:56

Great news! A wonderful Christmas gift!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and New year!

coppertop · 24/12/2003 11:02

Congratulations to you Jimjams and to JJ-junior2! A real achievement.

Jimjambells · 24/12/2003 12:14

He says "yeah" for yes, so all conversations with him are a series of questions. "Do you want to go to nursery soon?" "no" Do you want to play with the chldren" yeah.....

It's makes life sooooooo easy having a functional yes and no. I'm just stunned with have a proper word in English at last rather than alien.

OP posts:
Davrosthesnowman · 24/12/2003 12:50

Wonderful to hear this Jimjams. Mine speaks fluent Klingon!

KaySleighBells · 24/12/2003 12:52

Jimjams that is so wonderful. Well done to your ds

XmasCarol5 · 24/12/2003 15:35

Brilliant news, jimjams!

Jimjambells · 24/12/2003 18:53

davros- ds1 is still conversing in klingon- this is ds2 IF ds1 spoke English I would have taken out an ad in the Times

OP posts:
Eulalia · 27/12/2003 08:46

Great news jimjams

mrsforgetful · 31/12/2003 22:01

I am so happy for you- i hope that this is the beginning of a whole dictionary!!!! Being the mum of 3 noisy verbal boys - i find myself wishing they'd be quiet- it is however when i read messages like yours JimJams that i am reminded how lucky I am. I watched the MMR film and cried when the boy said "Mum" for the first time- before that i had NO IDEA how 'non-verbal' being NON-VERBAL was. I hope this does not appear condescending- I am genuinely inspired by the major step DS2 has made to be able to communicate using a word which EVERYONE will understand. My DS1 though extremely verbal and with an amazing vocabulary still in true AS fashion confuses everyone he talks to- and frequently i have to interperet for him as he has the 'foreign language' habit- yet this is no problem really as he is 10 now and he's starting to 'understand' the need for him to try and communicate independantly..... whereas DS2 (un-DX AS) still squawks and screaches when people misunderstand or don't listen!!! He cannot be reasoned with!

Jimjams · 05/01/2004 11:24

sometimes I wish beng non-verbal meant being quiet. How about non-screaming hmmmmm no such luck.

Well this was ds2- who chatters away the whole day long, just incomprehensibly. He's not really non-verbal he's just a bit slow on talking sense. We now have whole "yes/no" conversations all day long so he's easy really.

DS1 isn't quite like the child in the film either as he does try to communicate more than him (much less than NT ds2 though). When/if he talks properly I'll be swinging from the rooftops

Jimjams · 05/01/2004 11:24

on the talking front I think I meant!

fio2 · 05/01/2004 11:26

sorry this is going to sound obscure but what does non verbal actually mean, apart from the obvious! I just wondered whether my dd is classed as non verbal or not, thats all - just being bloody nosey as usual!Smile

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Davrosthesnowman · 05/01/2004 12:02

fio2, I'm not sure of the "official" criteria for being classified as non-verbal, there's also the term mute too and I don't know if they're different or the same thing PCd-up! My son is classified as non-verbal and I think its because he has no words. I describe it as he doesn't have a "speaking voice". He has never said a clear word but I know lots of kids who can and do say clear words but do not have functional speech and are not spontaneous in using their speech. I'd be interested if anyone does know the technicalities that mean a child is non-verbal, mute or verbal. Then of course there's vocal which I think is the correct term for speaking and verbal is used to describe expressive communication of any sort, ho hum!

Jimjams · 05/01/2004 12:04

not sure fio2. I tend to say that ds1 is "effectively non-verbal" as although he speaks (single words or set phrases) everything he says is incomprehensible to anyone not very familiar with him. Coupled with the fact that he understands nouns and set phrases and nothing much else I tend to think that langauge isn't very useful for him yet. He's very different from a very verbal AS child, with very different "issues".

Davros may know the official definition.

Jimjams · 05/01/2004 12:06

oh replied at the same time. I thought mute meant no sounds or anything, but I think davros is right.. My friend's dd was described as "mute" at a time when I said "oh wow how long has she been speaking" so I guess it means different things to different people. I thought she was speaking really well, people with conversational children obviously found her mute.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.