Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Give us your suggestion - big or small - of where public money could be saved

141 replies

dotnet · 14/11/2010 13:05

Mine would be - turn heating down by 5 degrees fahrenheit - or a little more - in all our hospitals.

Sick people don't need to be cooked, it doesn't help - and if any patients really do NEED to be kept in a blazing hot temperature, have a few designated 'hot' rooms per hospital and turn up the radiator valves in there.

OP posts:
jollydiane · 14/11/2010 20:50

Littlepossum thank you for not thinking me mad (as many people on here do)

My point is if you earn enough to pay tax why are we giving benefits to you? Stop the bureaucracy. We then don't need some many people to sort out the admin, we then don't have to pay so much tax, I can then hire more staff as I am not paying so much tax and so it goes on.

GrimmaTheNome · 14/11/2010 20:52

I think they're planning to remove a lot of loopholes.

littlepossum · 14/11/2010 20:56

BikeRunSki

So would you swap your current salary for an extra £5k before tax (£3k after tax) in exchange for swapping your final salary pension for a defined benefit one?

Personally working in the private sector I'd happy see my salary reduced 5k in exchange for switching to a final salary pension.

jollydiane · 14/11/2010 20:58

Tax costs jobs loopholes or not. Every public sector worker has to be paid by the private sector. I am happy to pay tax but excessive tax costs jobs. We actually need these cuts.

maktaitai · 14/11/2010 21:01

Set a target date for an end to a standing army (note: NOT throwing all forces personnel on the dole queue tomorrow), beginning with a moratorium on all recruitment. Commensurate reduction in weapons spending. Possible increase in TA, plus university fees paid for any school leaver who spends a year in the Gap Year Reserve Training Scheme.

jollydiane · 14/11/2010 21:02

BikeRunSki,in business if I can swap and unknown every increasing cost for a fixed known cost then I would do it. This is why in the private sector final salaries have stopped. They costs were too high and they were unknown burden on future profits.

newwave · 14/11/2010 21:04

LookTo, my fault, badly put.

Lets make action against tax avoidence retrospective after the legislation to close the loopholes has been enabled.

Question for you, would you agree that the government make far less effort to eradicate tax avoidence and evasion than they do to stop benefit fraud and also dont shame and demonise tax avoiders/evaders to anything like the same degree. Do you think this is because the evaders/avoiders are natural tory supporters.

southeastastra · 14/11/2010 21:05

free/academy schools

maxpower · 14/11/2010 21:06

scrap free public transport for children/elderly/disabled and replace it with a standard 10p fare for them all - that wouldn't price those people out of travel but would save some of the subsidy that goes towards funding free travel

likewise scrap blanket free prescriptions for children and oaps - exemptions could be allocated for particular medicines (rather than patients) iyswim

LookToWindward · 14/11/2010 21:06

"Question for you, would you agree that the government make far less effort to eradicate tax avoidence and evasion than they do to stop benefit fraud and also dont shame and demonise tax avoiders/evaders to anything like the same degree. Do you think this is because the evaders/avoiders are natural tory supporters."

Last sentence aside, broadly - yes I agree. It certainly isn't the sole domain of the Tories though. Labour were just as bad for exactly the same reasons.

jollydiane · 14/11/2010 21:12

There is nothing wrong with tax avoidence, ISA, pension contributions, trusts etc. I come back to my main point. Don't give benefits to anyone that already pays tax. It doesn't help. It just takes money out of the productive economy. We do needs to make working better than benefits. You need to stop taxing excessively so that I hire more people.

newwave · 14/11/2010 21:17

"Last sentence aside, broadly - yes I agree. It certainly isn't the sole domain of the Tories though. Labour were just as bad for exactly the same reasons"

I agree although NewLabour was a "light" version of the tory party. One of the biggest disappointments of my life was how Blair turned out. I still remember how euphoric I felt when NewLabour won their first election, an end (i thought) to the "evil" of Thatcherism, never happened of course. We live and learn.

And now we are back to real Thatcherism in all it's gore.

IwishIwasmoreorganised · 14/11/2010 21:21

In Wales, stop iving all prescriptions for free.

On the whole, those who need them to be free had them anyway

jollydiane · 14/11/2010 21:21

Newwave are you suggesting I am Tory?

I have not political allegiance. If you or anyone else thinks that what I have said does not make sense please persuade me. I would like to vote for the 'common sense' party. Where do I sign?

southeastastra · 14/11/2010 21:21

my dad has free travel, he just can't wait to catch the bus to the next town that looks identical to his own

newwave · 14/11/2010 21:50

Jolly, not directed at you, sorry if you thought it was. Although TBH reading your posts again your views "seem" to be of a right wing/tory bent.

BikeRunSki · 14/11/2010 23:02

I do understand the drivers and economics behind private sector pensions, I worked in the private sector for 12 years. I am just saying, that public sector "reward" (salary+pension) is not necessarily higher than private sector reward of salary+pension. I made my decision to move to public sector based on several factors, of which the final salary pension provision was one. I also took a 15% pay cut (accounting for slightly shorter hours and more leave). But then "reward" is not just about salary and pension is it?

The organisation I work for has:
Stopped catering for any meetings
Stopped private car travel
Stopped air travel and 1st class rail travel
Stopped training which involves external consultants
No longer uses external meeting rooms that we need to pay for: has set up "room swap" scheme with other local public bodies.
Sold off lots of land and buildings, many offices merged. May be needed in time to come, who knows, we need the cash now?
Regions mereged - fewer managerial staff.
Turned heating down in offices, to legal min.
No recruitment, no temps, no maternity cover
Streamlining of staff members
No drinks machines in offices
Only essential maintenance work carried out on our assets (I don't really want to say what I do, but you would miss us if we didn't do it).
Very much reduced capital expenditure, in some places we won't do what we need to do, and will be missed.
And we hadn't had a pay rise for 2 years prior to the public pay-freeze in April.

I am not complaining about any of the above, merely indicating that the bits of the private sector is costcutting for all it is worth.

huddspur · 14/11/2010 23:44

Nearly everyone engages in tax avoidance of some sort so making it illegal would criminalise the majority of the population.

edam · 14/11/2010 23:48

Stop the Olympics. Let some other nation have the hassle and provide expensive jollies for all the VIPs.

newwave · 14/11/2010 23:55

hudd, many things now illegal were once practised by some parts of the population, slavery, bear baiting etc.

As for it being a majority I doubt that, what is you scource for that statistic.

huddspur · 15/11/2010 00:00

The vast majority of people have an ISA or make pension contributions, both are tax free and are forms of tax avoidance. Add to that other extras such as childcare vouchers, then I think you'll find that most people do engage in some form of tax avoidance.

GrimmaTheNome · 15/11/2010 00:06

Gift aid avoids tax.
National savings avoid tax.

Using a tradesman below the VAT threshold avoids tax.

Small women buying kids clothes avoids tax.

Choosing Jaffa Cakes rather than HobNobs avoids tax!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

edam · 15/11/2010 10:19

huddspur - lots of people break the speed limit, doesn't make it right. 'Everyone does it' is a crap excuse as any 6yo knows.

And ISAs and gift aid are promoted by government to encourage people to save/donate to charity. There are limits on how much you can put into an ISA, precisely to ensure they don't allow people to evade taxation.

Vodafone/Tesco/Ashcroft are on a completely different scale and you know it.

byrel · 15/11/2010 10:23

edam- ISAs/Gift Aid/Pension contributions etc are still forms of tax avoidance which do allow people to pay less tax.

lucky1979 · 15/11/2010 10:32

"Lets make action against tax avoidence retrospective after the legislation to close the loopholes has been enabled."

So, if they decide not to do ISAs anymore then everyone with an ISA will be fined retrospectively? What about gift aid, you could hit charities up for LOADS of money by closing that particular loophole.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.