Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Cunning linguists

Learning Russian

30 replies

Shopgirl1 · 27/04/2018 22:09

Just wondering if anyone is learning Russian? I think it’s a beautiful language, I did lessons for about a year, found it tough, in particular the cases - I’m familiar with cases from German, but the different endings per case and gender depending on whether the word ends in a soft or hard sound just completely confused me, not to mention the two verbs for every verb...so I gave up when I should have stuck at it.
Can you get to a good level in it over time - I’d love to be able to read some of the Russian classics in Russian - looking for a bit of encouragement to get back to it.
Спасибо

OP posts:
LelouchviBritanniacommandsyou · 15/07/2018 12:01

My DH learnt Russian and he uses an app called Hello Talk. It matches people who want to learn each other's languages, so in his case he talks (well, mostly writes but you can talk too I think) to Russian speakers who want to learn English. He gets quite a few people wanting to talk to him as there aren't so many English speakers wanting to learn Russian.

From what he's said there are different skill levels, some people he's talked to are really quite good at English while others dont know much at all, so it's probably the same kind of range for those learning Russian.

He's found it really helpful for continuing to learn, and learning from native speakers has helped a lot with pronunciation, colloquialisms and knowing when something might be technically correct but not sound quite right. He's also made new friends and learnt more about the culture too which is great :)

Prokupatuscrakedatus · 15/07/2018 12:10

@NuttyNutty
So the differences are not regional in origin. Perhaps it has something to do with age?
Her main teacher is almost 70 and very old school (i. e. a dragon), whereas her private grammar tutor is in her early 20.

NuttyNutty · 15/07/2018 12:30

@Prokupatuscrakedatus You mean they speak noticeably different from each other? Can you give details? Sounds very unusual to me, especially for teachers who are normally trained to have clear and correct pronunciation.
All I can think of is that St.Petersburg/older people would speak more classical language. Muscovites are known for stretching their a-s more than others. Also, young people would use more colloquial expressions I guess.
There normally wouldn't be much difference between the way different generations speak... Hmm
I am really curious now!

Prokupatuscrakedatus · 15/07/2018 12:50

@NuttyNutty
I am afraid my Russian is not good enough to give examples and I am more of an observer as my DD prepares for her final examn. But, given what you have told me and knowing the older teacher in question, I - tentatively - think it comes down to her personal use of her mother tongue.
I myself will be glad to achieve a pronunciation that does not cause permanent damage to any Russians I might have to inflict it on. Speaking has always been my problem in any language.

NuttyNutty · 15/07/2018 13:17

@Prokupatuscrakedatus Don't worry too much, as long as people understand you it's fine. Just try to copy the way other people speak, it's the best way to learn any language Smile

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.