My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Which books are good for reading out loud to 6yo boys?

51 replies

TooTicky · 14/02/2008 22:29

Preferably funny, must not be sad in any way. Not even momentarily.

OP posts:
TooTicky · 14/02/2008 23:12

Thanks Lucymack. I tend to get most things from the library, but if I want to buy I will remember you.

OP posts:
lucymack · 14/02/2008 23:13

Thank you x

Albert · 14/02/2008 23:14

Just finished reading Stig of the Dump to DS, he loved it! Also Secret Seven, Flat Stanley and Horrid Henry.

seeker · 14/02/2008 23:15

And in his real super georgeous Scottish accent too.........!

Rhubarb · 14/02/2008 23:16

I'm reading Magician's Nephew to dd who's 7.5. She loves it but finds it a bit scary, each chapter ends on a nice juicy cliffhanger bit! I reckon so far it's better than Lion, Witch etc.

seeker · 14/02/2008 23:19

Other books ds has enjoyed. The Land of Green Ginger. Swallow and Amazons. Captain Underpants. Harry Potter (1 and 2 only - the rest are too grown up IMHO)Secret 7 and Famous 5. The Fell Ferm books.

Rhubarb · 14/02/2008 23:20

Ladybird do childrens versions of Dracula, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Treasure Island and so on. Ideal for younger readers.

ds who's 4 just loves the Ladybird version of The Lost World.

TooTicky · 14/02/2008 23:20

I don't know the Land of Green Ginger. LOVE Arthur Ransome though - I wonder if he's ready for those.

OP posts:
TooTicky · 14/02/2008 23:22

Thanks Rhubarb. I have mixed feelings about the Narnia books - sometimes I think they are wonderful and at other times I am suddenly unsure.

OP posts:
seeker · 14/02/2008 23:26

I am unique in not being able to stomach Narnia. I realize this makes me odd. Ds loved Swallowa nd Amazons, but I haven't tried any others. I am thinking of going for Coot Club next.

Land of Green Ginger is brilliant - it's a version of Alladinn written about a million years ago by someone called Noel Langly. It's full of puns and sillinesses - definitely a read aloud at this age - too difficult for independent reading.

Shells · 14/02/2008 23:35

My DS has LOVED astrosaurs. Can't say they're works of great literature but they're entertaining and if he likes space and dinosaurs...

RosaLuxOnTheBrightSideOfLife · 14/02/2008 23:42

Not unique Seeker. I will stand at your side. I have read several of them out loud to my DDs and by gum they are tedious, preachy and very badly written.

RosaLuxOnTheBrightSideOfLife · 14/02/2008 23:44

Did anyone say The Hobbit? Read that to DD2 when she was six and she loved it. Also Treasure Island.

seeker · 14/02/2008 23:47

You and me Contra Mundum, rosa!

I had forgotten how much dd loved The Hobbit at this age - ds found it incredibly scary and begged me to stop. But he is a sensitive soul, beneath a bluff exterior......

cat64 · 14/02/2008 23:59

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

onebatmother · 15/02/2008 00:00

Seriously Silly Stories are Seriously Good.
Retold Fairy Tales - funny, even for grown-ups.

The Spy Dog books are also v good.
And we're just about approaching the Max Flash spy stories, which look as though they will grip DS. I am dreading though, tbh.

I often read Dr Who stories from the annual - I only do short bursts bcs have dd who is 2. Each story takes 2 nights, sometimes more, which can be good.

Might try again with Roald Dahl - apart from Fantastic Mr Fox, they were too old the first time I tried (gosh, at 4!! So many dead/cruel parents etc1)

GrinningSoul · 15/02/2008 00:02

Roddy Doyle's 3 kids' books - the giggler treatment, the meanwhile adventures and rover saves christmas. truly hilarious.

RosaLuxOnTheBrightSideOfLife · 15/02/2008 00:02

Oi OBM. Get yourself back to the ball. We are hanging on the edge of an eighteenth-century cliff.

onebatmother · 15/02/2008 00:13

Really Rosa?

AbbeyA · 15/02/2008 18:48

Dick King Smith is a good one to try. (I haven't met a child who doesn't like Horrid Henry, although I can see that parents might not).

TooTicky · 16/02/2008 21:52

Ooh yes, Dick mKing-Smith. I had forgotten him. Must vet first for potential sad bits though.

OP posts:
TooTicky · 16/02/2008 21:53

And thank you everybody else too - ideas noted

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

nellabelle · 07/03/2008 20:09

I agree that captain underpants is very popular with my 6 year old. He also enjoyed Harry the poisonous centipede.

we recently got a book of enid blyton short stories - something like 7o'clock tales. they are very engaging.

Avoid horrid henry - he is horrid and not a good example in my view. he is too mean in my book.

nellabelle · 07/03/2008 20:11

we have set up a website - www.myboywonder.com which is mainly for boys clothes but has a section for book reviews. if you really like a particular book, please review it and we will post it up for all to see!

nellie

onebatmother · 07/03/2008 20:22

Love the website nellabelle - more stuff for big boys, please. And jimjams like the caravan t-shirt, long john style??
Have bookmarked for next time I need stuff.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.