My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Any book recommendations for a dinosaur obsessed 5 year old?

29 replies

Lew12Mum · 12/03/2014 15:57

I think we may own everything dinosaur related, but I'm on the hunt for decent dinosaur books for my 5 year old. He doesn't want anything 'babyish', but still wants pictures. He gets bored by the encyclopaedia/text book type of thing, but I think it'd be good for the books to be vaguely educational and fact based rather than fiction, whilst he's still soaking information up like a sponge.
Does such a thing exist or am I asking too much?
Any recommendations?

OP posts:
sanityawol · 23/03/2014 22:21

This is an amazing dinosaur pop-up book, but not if he's as heavy handed as my DS.

MrsCosmopilite · 23/03/2014 22:28

Not quite in the same vein but "Dinosaurs and all that rubbish" has a good message in it. No specific types of dinosaurs are identified. I can see that for some people it might be a bit eco-heavy, but my DD (3) loves it.

sanityawol · 23/03/2014 22:31

MrsCosmopolite I forgot that one - we have it too. It was one of DH's favourites when he was small, so he tracked it down for DS.

We've also got a Mr Ben book with four or five stories in it. One of them is 'Caveman' which has dinosaurs in it.

hardbeingme · 23/03/2014 22:35

I just bought these ones for my four year olds (and then me and dp had a read after they went to bed)
Dinosaurs facts and figures in terms they can recognise i.e. diplodocus is so many buses long and t-rex could eat so much meat in one bite that's the same as x amount of burgers

There's A Stegosaurus on The Stairs
There's A T.Rex In Town
There's A Triceratops In The Tree House
There's A Diplodocus At The Door

the set was £5 from the book people and the boys were quite impressed (but would now like books about all the other dinosaurs thank you mother!)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.