My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Children's books

What next for 8yo boy who doesn't stop reading?

48 replies

alana39 · 07/07/2011 22:08

He'll happily pick up books he has previously read, all sorts of Astrosaurs / Captain Underpants etc but has asked if there are any other series of books now that he has finished Harry Potter / Percy Jackson. He's read most of the Roald Dahl ones, and has started on Mark Haddon's agent Z / boom books.

I'm struggling a bit at the moment as I'm wary of getting books that he can read, but isn't really mature enough to understand or appreciate properly.

Any suggestions would be very welcome so I can find something good before we go on holiday. Thanks.

OP posts:
sparkle12mar08 · 08/07/2011 08:04

Some of the lighter Terry Pratchetts?

NorthernerAtHeart · 08/07/2011 08:13

Secret Seven books? My son and his friends are mad about these at the moment - about 20 in the series too! Shorter than famous five, so maybe more accessible?

ThumbsNoseAtSnapewitch · 08/07/2011 08:15

TP's the Amazing Maurice and his Rodents might appeal.

Not sure whether he'd be ok with Garth Nix, the Seven Keys set - might be a bit too old for him yet.
Ditto Artemis Fowl - there are quite a few of those around now but again, might be too old.

Try going into secondhand book shops and see if there are any old Stories for Boys books - they usually have some good stuff in.

porpoisefull · 08/07/2011 08:21

I used to love my mum's old 'Just William' books, can't remember what age I was when I got into them. Also the Enid Blyton 'Adventure' series. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventure_Series

ThumbsNoseAtSnapewitch · 08/07/2011 08:25

oh yes yes!! Just William, somewhere I have the entire set that I bought from BFC when they were on special offer, ready for whenever DS is old enough.

nenevomito · 08/07/2011 08:28

Has anyone mentioned Joseph Delaney, The Spooks Chronicles?

Brilliant books and in a similar theme to some that he's read before. Even I read them and really enjoy them.

There are quite a few in the series now, which should keep him going for a while and the author is still writing new ones.

pinkhebe · 08/07/2011 08:30

the redwall series by Brian Jaques - He wrote lots.

QueenofDreams · 08/07/2011 08:41

I would recommend Diana Wynne Jones books.
Also Susan Cooper's Dark is rising series,
Susan Cooper's Dawn of Fear (set during WWII)
The Secret Garden, and A little princess (forget the author's name now Hmm)
Maybe some other classics like The Lost world?
Also recommend any books by Michael Morpurgo.

Takver · 08/07/2011 09:36

Lots of good things here. Would also add

Lionboy trilogy by Zizou Corder (exciting but nothing inappropriate for an 8 y/o)

The Eagle of the Ninth & sequels by Rosemary Sutcliff (they were on offer very cheap from either Red House or the Book People recently)

I assume he must have read the How to Train your Dragon books?

alana39 · 08/07/2011 13:40

Oh, only just come back on here today and wasn't expecting so many replies! Thanks so much everyone.

There are loads of things I hadn't heard of / hadn't thought of - particularly excited at the prospect of (me) reading The Dark is Rising series and there are lots of suggestions that I'd considered but wasn't sure if they would be too old for him.

Thanks again.

OP posts:
skybluepearl · 16/07/2011 20:53

daft books that my son loves - philip ardagh, horrible histories, diary of a whimpy kid

skybluepearl · 16/07/2011 20:53

Roman Mysteries - heard these are wonderful!

skybluepearl · 16/07/2011 21:03

All the Pseudonymous Bosch books as follows - the name of this book is secret/if you are reading this it's too late/this isn't what it looks like.

Gripping adventure

Oblomov · 16/07/2011 22:18

what a great thread.

CeliaFate · 17/07/2011 20:55

The Jack Stalwart series by Elizabeth Singer Hunt. My ds has read them all bar one and loves them. Also Zac Power (forgot who the author is).

RachelMumsnet · 20/07/2011 15:29

Great thread - hope you don't mind me barging in but just wanted to add that there's still some copies of Dan Freedman's The Kick off up for grabs from Scholastic Books. The Kick off is the first in the series of Dan Freedman's brilliant Jamie Johnson series which is perfect for football fans from about seven upwards. To apply for your free copy email with your address to: [email protected] with 'The Kick Off' as the subject line.

reelingintheyears · 20/07/2011 15:37

A series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snickert.

There are 13 of them.

Grumpla · 20/07/2011 15:39

The Inventors books are good, be warned though the Furnace books are really quite scary!

reelingintheyears · 20/07/2011 15:40

The power of five series (Alex Rider)...Anthony Horowitz
Artemis Fowl.....Eoin Colfer.

jongleuse · 22/07/2011 21:09

Definitely second Lemony Snicket, Eva Ibbotson, Diana Wynne Jones and Eoin Colfer if he liked HP and PJ. Maybe Phillip Reeve, Mortal Engines and the like?
The Phantom Tollbooth and A Wrinkle in Time are classics that come to mind.

jongleuse · 22/07/2011 21:21
purplebug · 29/07/2011 07:05

There's a new series I've just started my niece with - The Twelve Quests by Ana Fischel. 12 books so should keep him entertained for a while!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

alana39 · 29/07/2011 09:12

We have had great success with Mr Gum and Lemony Snicket already so thanks again...

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.