My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

What do you think are the best recently released kids books

63 replies

Brightredstar · 27/05/2011 11:47

What do you think are the best recently released kids books ? I am looking for something new and preferably not to do with vampires for the 9 - 12 age range or early teens. Any suggestions. Everything seems to be smothered in vampires and depressed looking girls at the moment. Grin

OP posts:
Bearcrumble · 27/05/2011 20:25

It's a few years old but how about un-lun-dun by China Mieville? www.amazon.co.uk/Lun-Dun-China-Mieville/dp/0330453475?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

bishop11 · 27/05/2011 20:41

enid blyton is still a favourite

bishop11 · 27/05/2011 20:42

enid blyton is still a favourite

MrsBartlet · 27/05/2011 20:58

My sister lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher (not Pritcher!)

Tortu · 27/05/2011 21:08

Everything comes in Trilogies at the moment. Some really successful trilogies targetted at that age group, but perhaps for a more intelligent audience than Twilight (or slightly older);

1. Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking (post-apocolyptic sci-fi about creating a new society): www.amazon.co.uk/Knife-Never-Letting-Walking-ebook/dp/B0047BIUUU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306526490&sr=8-3&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

1. The Hunger Games by Suzamme Collins (post-apocalyptic olympics and ending up creating a new society): www.amazon.co.uk/Hunger-Games-Suzanne-Collins/dp/1407109081/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306526535&sr=1-1-catcorr&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

1. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (a different world with magic- probably the cleverest and most questioning of the three as focusses on setting up a new society and religion. This would be my recommendation)

1. Paul Hoffman's latest trilogy (only two books are out so far: The Left Hand of God and The Last Four Things): www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=paul%20hoffman&sprefix=paul%20hoffman&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=paul+hoffman&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Apaul+hoffman

I would recommend all of the above for a young teenage audience, or older. They all feature little or no sex (actually, that's only Hunger Games)- far less than Twilight- and I think they're all far cleverer. Sorry about the dark, post-apocolyptic/ religious themes, but that's what has been fashionable in the past couple of years.
AngelDog · 27/05/2011 21:10

Not new but anything by Geraldine McCaughrean is good.

LadyMacnet · 27/05/2011 23:26

William Nicholson's Windsinger trilogy; Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (and the rest of the series); anything by Tim Bowler - especially Riverboy. None are that new but all brilliant.

Frank Cotrell Boyce Millions and Cosmic.
Hoot by Louis Sachar

Those dreadful Robert Muchmore books - my DS calls these his guilty pleasure.

Marcus Sedgwick My Swordhand is Singing is brilliant but does have a loose vampire theme. My DS doesn't like vampire stories but devoured this one. His other non-vampire books are all good too.

madamehooch · 28/05/2011 08:04

IMO I feel that Paul Hoffman is not really suitable for a 9-12/very young teen - good though the books undoubtedly are.

pranma · 28/05/2011 10:40

My dgd [a precocious reader]loved Cornelia Funke's Inkheart trilogy
She is currently reading Diana Wynne Jones Chrestomanci books [A Charmed Life is the first]They are far from new but may be undiscovered yet.

randommoment · 28/05/2011 10:50

DTD1 currently on Rick Riordan
DTD2 gone retro, currently on seventh of the Swallows and Amazons series.
Both recently enjoyed Ali Sparkes, Neil Gaiman and Derek Landy.
Narnia gets returned to regularly, also 101 Dalmations (the proper novel by Dodie Smith, not the awful Disney), and Watership Down have both been read again. They're 12 years old. They both love Cornelia Funke too.

BarkisIsWilling · 28/05/2011 14:17

Georgia Byng's Molly Moody books
Any book by Jane Johnson

feralgirl · 28/05/2011 15:16

I just read the new Charlie Higson books (The Enemy and The Dead, not sure when the third one is out). They are totally brilliant but utterly gruesome, a kind of 28 Days Later for teens. Not for the faint-hearted but, possibly, harder to read as a parent as they're about a post-apocolyptic world where everyone over the age of 14 has died/ turned into zombies so full of lots of truly horrid things that you wouldn't want to happen to your own kids!

I also adore Jaclyn Moriarty's books, they're kind of more intelligent Jaqueline Wilson chicklet-lit. They're not very recent though. And anything by Meg Rossoff.

feralgirl · 28/05/2011 15:17

Oh and I also LOVED Gaiman's The Graveyard book and Coraline is brilliant too.

Miaowww · 28/05/2011 18:52

The boys I teach, reluctant readers in their early teens, were all gripped by 'Inside' by Julia Jarman ( www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Julia-Jarman/dp/1842709771/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306604700&sr=1-6&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21 ) , set in a young offenders unit. They also enjoyed 'Hangman' and 'Ghost Writer' by the same author. Her Time Travelling Cat series is also worth a look.

Al0uiseG · 28/05/2011 19:38

That looks terrifying! Not sure my boys would enjoy that at all.

Miaowww · 28/05/2011 19:52

Inside is probably her grittiest book. Unfortunately the issues it deals with are close to reality for the kids I teach Sad - we use it in English and PSHE. Her other books are a lot tamer, especially the Time Travelling Cat series, and get great reviews on Amazon.

Al0uiseG · 28/05/2011 20:01

I'll investigate her other stuff for now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Nux · 28/05/2011 20:44

I would second the vote for the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness, I just finished these and my Mum is now devouring them (we are both big fans of "children's" books) - these might suit slightly older age than 12 but utterly brilliant, gripping and full of real ethical dilemmas and moral choices in difficult situations - the kind of thing that makes you think about what you would do and how people behave - excellent stuff.

Another vote for the Windsinger trilogy too, and also another trilogy by William Nicholson, the Noble Warriors trilogy.

Another fantastic series of books is the Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn, set in a world similar to ancient Japan - brilliant, first one is called Across a Nightingale Floor. Love, sneaky political moves, full on semi-supernatural Ninja skills - I loved these.

I also liked all the Michelle Paver series, Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, and Garth Nix Sabriel/Liriel/Abhorsen are fantastic - there is a lot of great stuff about :-)

tassisssss · 28/05/2011 22:03

Ds (8) has loved the How to Train your Dragon series

aethelfleda · 28/05/2011 22:29

Another vote for Twighlight Robbery - it's a great romp (or if she fancies a modern-set story instead, there's a book called Verdegris Deep also by Frances Hardinge which might be worth starting with).

Skullduggery pleaseant is fun but does have vampires (!) and Mages and stuff, so if she's not into vamp/werewolf/zombie stuff it might not be for her.

FranSanDisco · 29/05/2011 12:14

DD is 10 yo and has recently loved :

Skellig - David Almond
The Alchemeisters Apprentice - can't recall author
Unhooking the Moon - loved this to death!!!

huffythethreadslayer · 29/05/2011 12:17

For older children, I'm currently reading The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. It's a 4 parter with a prequel (The Infernal Devices 1) and it's rather sparkly! I'm also a huge fan of Cornelia Funke and Neil Gaiman. My main problem is that my dd (10) doesn't share my views. She's just finished Mallory Towers, doesn't like St Claires so much, so is just reading whatever she can lay her hands on right now.

I read the Higson books and concur. They are great, gruesome, but great...but definietly not for the fainthearted and certainly not great for parents to read. You constantly have to think, this could never happen, or you'd be paralysed by fear.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

quirrelquarrel · 29/05/2011 12:53

Starseeker- Tim Bowler

The Molly Moon books seem good.
There's always Judy Blume and the irrestistible Fudge :o

The Thief Lord- Cornelia Funke
The Alice books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Janni Howker
Valley of Secrets (quite long but fantastic- lots of descriptions but it's not boring) by Charmiane Hussey

Personally I think the treasures are the older books- Noel Streatfield, Enid Blyton, Louisa May Alcott, Beverly Cleary, Anne Fine etc...

quirrelquarrel · 29/05/2011 12:54
  • irresistible
quirrelquarrel · 29/05/2011 12:56

And another shout for Jaclyn Moriarty- refreshing, funny, bit teenagery for 9 year olds, but still suitable.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.