My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Lillian

53 replies

Fedupmum21 · 20/09/2022 09:21

Morning mums!
just looking for thoughts and opinions please. What do you think to the name Lillian? Is it too old fashioned? I love the name Lilly, and this is what the baby would be known by, but my other daughters (this will be the third girl) have longer names and so I don’t know if Lilly quite fits with them and also I know Lilly is very popular (although Ito where I live luckily as I live in a small village) so I thought Lillian was slightly different. Any other suggestions most welcome!! Thanks

OP posts:
3peassuit · 20/09/2022 20:40

Lillian is lovely.

newrubylane · 20/09/2022 20:48

Cute. Wish I'd thought of it!

FredrikaPeri · 20/09/2022 20:52

Lillibet....?

Vampirethriller · 20/09/2022 20:53

It's lovely.

TheGirlOnTheLanding · 20/09/2022 20:57

How about Lilias?

Kanaloa · 20/09/2022 20:58

I think it’s pretty, I also like Liliana. I would say though that if she’ll be known as Lily it’s so so popular. I’ve never had a preschool group without at least two girls named Lilly/Lily/Lillie/Lili. I still like it, but it is popular compared with the beautiful and lesser used Harriet.

Margot
Viola
Penelope
Lucia/Lucy
Daphne
Florence
Beatrice
Imogen
Mabel

• these are all names I see as sounding nice like Harriet.
Twinwife · 20/09/2022 20:59

I know an Elizabeth and she goes by Lily and Lil

LightHousePanda · 20/09/2022 21:07

I think with the popularity of Lily she may be known as Lillian rather than your prefered Lilly. It seems like the natural thing if there's another Lily in her class.

FourChimneys · 20/09/2022 21:21

I love Lillian.

But if you don't want to use it, what about Matilda? Nn Tilly?

Beatrice
Alice
Julia

soulinablackberrypie · 21/09/2022 11:56

I quite like it, but I prefer the more traditional spelling Lilian.

WildfellAnne · 21/09/2022 14:21

Lillian is lovely. It’s a much stronger name than Lily these days. It goes really well with Harriet.

User6761 · 21/09/2022 18:58

I've only ever known one Lillian, she's aged around 70. I think it's a nice, happy sounding name. And Harriet & Lillian sound lovely together.

I usually really dislike 'alternative' spellings but I first came across the name Lilly decades ago as a character in a book (Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving) - I don't know why that's stuck in my head but it has! So years later when Lily became popular, for a long time I thought it looked like it was spelt wrong. So to my Lillian shortened to Lilly is absolutely fine!

Luredbyapomegranate · 21/09/2022 21:44

I don’t like it - it’s drab

It’s a short form of Elizabeth originally, as Lily can be, so how about Elizabeth nn Lily. It’s much more elegant and nice for a baby born this year

MissHavishamsMouldyOldCake · 21/09/2022 21:49

Elizabeth is such a dreary name to me.

Luredbyapomegranate · 21/09/2022 21:49

Other than Elizabeth nn Lily which definitely goes with Harriet…

Julia
Marianne
Frances
Francesca
Claudia
Genevieve
Caroline
Lydia
Louisa
Elsbeth
Susannah
Christabel
Flora
Katharine
Beatrice
Alexandra

Most of these have nice short forms if you want that

S25 · 02/10/2022 02:06

Lilian is beautiful, it’s a name in my family so I’m biased but I also think Lily is lovely and Liliana a more “modern” version and beautiful too.

I think these names go well with Harriet:

Harriet & Eloise
Harriet & Genevieve
Harriet & Eliana
Harriet & Georgia
Harriet & Vivienne
Harriet & Louisa
Harriet & Sophia
Harriet & Evelyn

Trez1510 · 02/10/2022 05:27

Harriet & Eleanor(a)
Harriet & Celeste
Harriet & Isobella
Harriet & Flora
Harriet & Georgi(n)a (Harry & George!)

ZoyaTheDestroyer · 02/10/2022 08:40

Luredbyapomegranate · 21/09/2022 21:44

I don’t like it - it’s drab

It’s a short form of Elizabeth originally, as Lily can be, so how about Elizabeth nn Lily. It’s much more elegant and nice for a baby born this year

I’m not at all convinced by that etymology. Elizabeth is Hebrew; Lillian is Latin. They might have been conflated later but they are names in their own right.

Telling everyone that you want your Elizabeth to be known as Lily would be like saying you want her known as Isabel; technically there may be a link but it’s a stretch and a strange choice in 2022 when they are names in their own right.

ZoyaTheDestroyer · 02/10/2022 08:45

ZoyaTheDestroyer · 02/10/2022 08:40

I’m not at all convinced by that etymology. Elizabeth is Hebrew; Lillian is Latin. They might have been conflated later but they are names in their own right.

Telling everyone that you want your Elizabeth to be known as Lily would be like saying you want her known as Isabel; technically there may be a link but it’s a stretch and a strange choice in 2022 when they are names in their own right.

I take it back! I’ve just been reading the British Baby Names entry on Lillian and there is indeed a link to Elizabeth: www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2017/11/name-of-the-week-lilian.html I apologise for doubting you @Luredbyapomegranate.

However it is from the 13th century and Lillian is recorded as a given name in its own right from the 16th century so I would still argue that invoking the link now would be a stretch Grin

Kanaloa · 02/10/2022 08:50

Even if there’s a link, it’s so tenuous everyone would just think ‘how odd, why call the child Elizabeth and then tell people her name is Lillian.’

ZoyaTheDestroyer · 02/10/2022 08:54

It would be very odd.

Curlyshabtree · 02/10/2022 08:58

How about Lilia/Lillia? Not many of them about.

Fedupmum21 · 02/10/2022 10:41

Both my other girls have very traditional names and so I think we would stick to traditional names for this one, although I like Elizabeth I would imagine after the queens passing it will be quite popular this year. I love the name madeleine however I have two close friends with the same name and would rather something a bit different

OP posts:
LaTangerina · 02/10/2022 11:04

I know a Lilianne - pronounced Lily-Ann which is nice & different.

FangsForTheMemory · 03/10/2022 20:24

There’s a French name, Lilia, that I really like. Not keen on Lillian.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.