Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

I am a paramedic on strike today. AMA

238 replies

ParamedicOnStrike · 23/01/2023 16:29

Hi from the freezing cold picket line. Any questions related to the strike, the current state of the NHS or general paramedicing feel free to ask.

Disclaimer: obviously answers are based on my own opinions and experiences. They may not be the same for other paramedics/EMTs or in other trusts.

OP posts:
antidisestablishmentarianism · 23/01/2023 17:41

No questions just a hug of solidarity.

averylongtimeago · 23/01/2023 17:43

Totally support your actions, no questions from me.

ParamedicOnStrike · 23/01/2023 17:43

iloveeverykindofcat · 23/01/2023 17:38

No question just support. A paramedic saved my life once, by giving me CPR after a very freak accident. (I'm completely fine, this was years ago. Actually I was completely fine quite shortly afterwards, just the position of the accident meant my oxygen got temporarily cut off). All the doctors expertise would have been for nothing without a first responder.

You are a lucky lucky lady (sorry, thats an assumption!) there are not many survivors of cardiac arrest, and even less when it's caused by an accident. Grad your second chance with both hands!

OP posts:
Toooldtoworry · 23/01/2023 17:43

No question, just wanted to say thank you to your colleagues for saving my life when I had meningitis and my sons when he was involved in a serious rtc.

Daisycatliveshere · 23/01/2023 17:45

No question, just another message of support and thanks for all you do. I have people I love who wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the skills of paramedics.

ParamedicOnStrike · 23/01/2023 17:46

tara66 · 23/01/2023 17:38

Not saying you don't do a great job but is NHS broken- in your opinion and needs to change a lot? Should people pay something for their NHS treatment and care - as with the French system - people are mostly reimbursed for health treatment by the state after they have paid a ''reasonable'' amount? Private in Uk is very expensive if one is not insured through work. I once paid £250 just for one appointment for doctor to remove a plaster - plus all the other fees incurred. I went privately because of NHS long waiting time to see a dermatologist (re. skin cancer). About half national budget already goes to NHS and a great deal of that actually goes to legal matters. My local hospital in London is an old wreck - with porta cabins being used permanently. It needs to be rebuilt. Taxes in Britain are now the highest since 1950s. There is a cartoon showing a man lying down and beside him all the paper work his medical appointment needed - which was wider and longer than him! It is meant to show there is too much administration in NHS. Also - know someone from a black listed state that got a job as doctor in UK but that person is not allowed to work in UAE or Qatar (where he preferred !) . It all needs fixing.

This is a huge question and not one I feel qualified to answer. I work on ground level, so I can only really comment on that.

I 100% believe in the NHS though. Without it, I'd have died at birth.

OP posts:
hoochyhag · 23/01/2023 17:46

Bless you BrewCake
My daughter and I would not be alive if not for the wonderful work that you do.

whatyoulookingfor · 23/01/2023 17:47

Hello 👋 from a fellow ambulance crew. Thanks for freezing your arse off today. I can't strike as my union didn't get enough votes (would've helped if they'd actually sent me one, despite many calls).

In response to others questions re algorithms... If people used common sense and stopped calling ambulances because on a Sunday they suddenly decided that their 6 week old cough might be a problem (clue: if it's 6 weeks old and hasn't dramatically changed it can probably wait another 24 hours) then we wouldn't be so swamped and the algorithms would probably be fine. However instead we end up going out to the worried we'll or people who should access care more appropriately elsewhere

ParamedicOnStrike · 23/01/2023 17:47

Toooldtoworry · 23/01/2023 17:43

No question, just wanted to say thank you to your colleagues for saving my life when I had meningitis and my sons when he was involved in a serious rtc.

Ooh very scary. I hope you're both doing well!

OP posts:
Bluetrews25 · 23/01/2023 17:47

Solidarity from physio here.
Keep on keeping on
(And keep warm!)

ParamedicOnStrike · 23/01/2023 17:50

whatyoulookingfor · 23/01/2023 17:47

Hello 👋 from a fellow ambulance crew. Thanks for freezing your arse off today. I can't strike as my union didn't get enough votes (would've helped if they'd actually sent me one, despite many calls).

In response to others questions re algorithms... If people used common sense and stopped calling ambulances because on a Sunday they suddenly decided that their 6 week old cough might be a problem (clue: if it's 6 weeks old and hasn't dramatically changed it can probably wait another 24 hours) then we wouldn't be so swamped and the algorithms would probably be fine. However instead we end up going out to the worried we'll or people who should access care more appropriately elsewhere

Hello and a cheeky headlight flash as I pass you!

I didn't get to vote either! I'd moved house and not told them, and then my ballot arrived when I was on holiday! D'oh!

OP posts:
ParamedicOnStrike · 23/01/2023 17:51

Bluetrews25 · 23/01/2023 17:47

Solidarity from physio here.
Keep on keeping on
(And keep warm!)

Ah good, you can sort out my scaral joint tomorrow. Standing for 12 hours when you're chubby and have a 36HH chest is not the one!!

OP posts:
LadyMcLadyface · 23/01/2023 17:52

No question but just to thank you for the work that you do. I was in a traumatic car accident as a teenager and still remember the paramedic who looked after me at the scene (and his name) over 15 years later, I've never forgotten his kindness - you do amazing work 💙

iloveeverykindofcat · 23/01/2023 17:53

@ParamedicOnStrike I know! The doctors told me I was incredibly lucky and now a member of a very small minority. I don't take it for granted. Every so often I think about it and just appreciate that I'm here.

foxywheaton75 · 23/01/2023 17:54

No questions, just sending my support to you all.
As a society we need to value the amazing work you do, much more.

CPL593H · 23/01/2023 17:55

My DH is in very poor health and we've had more occasion than most to call on you guys lately. Sending solidarity and thanks.

HuntingoftheSnark · 23/01/2023 17:59

Massive support and thanks from me too - and no questions. I'm another whose life has been saved by your expertise.

Rebel2023 · 23/01/2023 17:59

Standing with you
I was a call handler for a decade

scintilla87 · 23/01/2023 18:00

Fully support you striking, good luck!

Pipsquiggle · 23/01/2023 18:01

Thanks for all you do and good luck on the strike.

Are all the ambulance queues -trying to drop people off at A&E - the result of years of under funding in social care and bed blocking?

No spare beds in A&E due to no spare beds on the wards due to not enough social care provision

easyandbreezy · 23/01/2023 18:03

Solidarity friend!

Faz469 · 23/01/2023 18:03

Solidarity from a nurse who's getting married to an emt. Us blues are 100% behind you guys in green. If I wasn't pregnant I'd be out there tonight supporting you all on the pickets dropping off hot drinks and snacks! Good luck x

MadeOfSteel · 23/01/2023 18:05

I thank my lucky stars that we have well trained paramedics and ambulance technicians nowadays; the work you do means more people will make it to the hospital alive and you increase their chance of survival. I recall the days when ambulance drivers used to just pick people up and rush them to the hospital and that was it! I fully support the strikes and am grateful that there are people prepared to lose pay in order to highlight the current situation, for staff and patients.

If we want to attract more people into your job, OP, and all the other medical posts, I believe the T&Cs need to be more attractive. I wonder if part of the reason for the slump in numbers of people going to university to train is to do with the government introducing tuition fees. Have you heard anything about that, OP?

SweetPeaPods · 23/01/2023 18:07

Thank you for everything you do however are you aware of the full knock on effect of these strikes?
Currently 41weeks pregnant and local birth centre (and place of choice) has closed due to these strikes causing a lot of unnecessary stress.

Sausagedognamedmash · 23/01/2023 18:09

So much respect for ambulance workers. My grandad would have died years before he did had it not been for the multiple call outs to him over the years.

I worked in HR for a 111 triage line a couple of years ago and the training the call handlers go through is incredibly extensive. However they have to follow the script based on what you tell them to ensure the important questions are asked and nothing is missed. This can mean ambulances being sent to those that don't necessarily need them because it wouldn't be safe based on your answers to not do so. However triaging over the phone is incredibly hard, especially when people are scared or bring abusive, and when they too are chronically understaffed, the burn out is massive.

Thank you for all you do.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.