Mumsnet is supported by readers. All our writers obsessively research every product we recommend. When you buy through a link on our site we might earn commission but this never influences our product choices.
Are you looking to enhance your recipes and bring out succulent flavours? Then we recommend adding a touch of garlic. Just a clove or two can make a big difference.
But when it comes to creating home-cooked, flavoursome food, the last thing you want is to spend too many precious minutes chopping garlic cloves, cleaning poorly designed garlic presses or, even worse, trying to scrub the strong smell of garlic off of your fingers.
That’s why we’ve researched the very best garlic presses available, so you don’t have to. Drawing on recommendations from Mumsnet forums and other trusted review sites, our collection of top-notch garlic presses offers something for every budget and kitchen.
Here are the 10 best garlic presses to buy in 2021.
1. Best overall garlic press: Oxo Good Grips Garlic Press
Price: £13.99 | Buy now from Amazon
“OXO Good Grips is really good. It reverses and presses the remains out so it's easy to clean. The IKEA one is a bit hard to clean if it's dried a bit.” ShinyNewStart
“Good Grips garlic press. I use it every day. It has a neat wee doofer that helps get rid of the gunge. All other garlic presses are [rubbish].” Badgertadger
The Oxo Good Grips is a popular choice among Mumsnetters as this sturdy press makes crushing garlic a breeze. With soft, rubber, non-slip handles that are arched for comfort and ease of use, this garlic press is ideal for any kitchen.
We love that it can push garlic through with only one squeeze of the handles. It’s also spacious enough to crush several cloves of garlic all at once.
The built-in hole cleaner means that the Oxo Good Grips Garlic Press is easy to clean. All you need to do is flip the handles over to clean out any garlic residue. The removable press cage makes for easy cleaning too. And best of all, it’s dishwasher-safe.
- Has soft, comfortable, non-slip handles
- Can crush several garlic cloves
- Easy to clean
- Heavier than other garlic presses
2. Best budget garlic press: KONCIS Garlic Press
Price: £5.74 | Buy now from Amazon
“The ones from IKEA are amazing… the round ones. They are super strong and don’t rust or break. Dishwasher-proof too." Rugbycomet
“The IKEA ones I’d definitely swear by.” Seekingsolace2
This budget-friendly KONCIS Garlic Press from IKEA is a simple and effective kitchen utensil that makes crushing garlic cloves easier than ever. Plus, despite the bargain price, this stainless steel press is both sturdy and durable.
No-faff garlic presses are a game-changer and, luckily, this one offers just that as you don’t need to peel the garlic before placing it in the presser. The lightweight nature of the KONCIS Garlic Press also makes it super easy to use.
When it comes to cleaning, you can remove the insert, allowing you to get to all the leftover residue. However, according to the IKEA website, this garlic press isn’t dishwasher-safe, so you’ll need to remember to only handwash this one.
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Made from sturdy stainless steel
- The press is small, so it can’t crush large cloves of garlic
3. Best stainless steel garlic press: Rösle Garlic Press
Price: £25.73 | Buy now from Amazon
If you’re looking for a sturdy garlic press that’s easy to use and requires minimal crushing force, then the Rösle Garlic Press is just what you need.
Peeling garlic cloves can be fiddly, but thankfully this garlic press means you don’t need to peel them yourself. Simply place the unpeeled cloves in the crusher and press the handles together. When opened again, you’ll be left with perfectly crushed garlic and the skin left behind.
Another handy feature of the Rösle Garlic Press is the fold-out grid which ensures the press is easy to clean. The practical hanging loop is ideal for storing it on a kitchen rack, but it’s also dishwasher-safe.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe
- Crushes garlic cloves with minimal force needed
- Has a practical hanging loop
- Messier than other garlic presses
4. Best quality garlic press: Garlic Twist
Price: £36.05 | Buy now from Amazon
“You need a Garlic Twist.” MrsSchadenfreude
“Garlic Twist. I’ve had mine for years and would never go back.” BlackboardMonitorVimes
The award-winning Garlic Twist is a favourite in many kitchens, and it’s easy to see why. Forget about using your strength to crush garlic cloves as this handy little gadget only requires you to twist the lid back and forth to achieve perfectly minced garlic.
The product is easy to use, which means it’s ideal for everyone, especially those who have arthritis. You can also use the Garlic Twist to finely cut and mince other ingredients, such as ginger and shallots.
Not only is the Garlic Twist easy to use, but it’s also easy to clean. You can leave it to soak in warm soapy water, rinse off any garlic residue and then leave it to dry. Or you can place it in the dishwasher.
- Easy to use and great for those who struggle with traditional garlic presses
- Achieves finely minced garlic with every use
- Perfect for crushing garlic, ginger and other ingredients
- More expensive than other garlic presses
5. Best garlic rocker: Rocker™ Garlic Crusher
Price: £12.99 | Buy now from Amazon
“Have you tried a garlic rocker? Mine was a game-changer.” HermioneWeasley
“Definitely this. And it’s easier to clean than a regular crusher.” stclair
The Rocker™ Garlic Crusher is a great alternative to the traditional garlic press. Instead of crushing the garlic with handles, you push it back and forth over the rocker to create minced garlic.
It creates minimal fuss when it comes to mincing several cloves of garlic, as you don’t need to keep opening up the jaws of the press for each clove (like you do with traditional pressers).
Some garlic presses are fiddly when you're getting the garlic in the pan, but this one can be collected and added to your dish with ease. As well as being easy to use, the Rocker™ Garlic Crusher is also easy to clean and is dishwasher-safe.
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- A great alternative to traditional garlic presses
- The plastic is a little flimsy, with some reviews saying it breaks easily
- The holes are large, so you can’t achieve finely minced garlic
6. Best garlic peeler and press: Zyliss Garlic Press
Price: £12.99 | Buy now from Lakeland
“I’ve had this one for years.” Jedstre
The first thing you’ll notice about the Zyliss Garlic Press is that it’s smaller and lighter than other presses. This garlic press is easy to use because of its lightweight feel and compact size. However, the shorter handles aren’t ideal for those with larger hands.
The Zyliss Garlic Press has a non-stick coating, which makes it simple to clean. There’s also a built-in cleaner that slots into the press handle, which you can use to get the stubborn bits of garlic out of the presser. What’s more, you can pop it in the dishwasher without worrying about it breaking.
Despite its small appearance, this garlic press can fit multiple cloves in at once, making it ideal for those who want to save time in the kitchen.
- This garlic presser comes with a five-year guarantee
- It can hold several garlic cloves
- It has a built-in cleaning tool
- It has shorter handles than other garlic presses, making it less practical for those with larger hands
- The coating can peel off after long-term use
7. Best easy-to-clean garlic press: Joseph Joseph CleanForce Garlic Press Crusher
Price: £15 | Buy now from Amazon
Featuring a wiper blade and a scraping tool, the Joseph Joseph CleanForce Garlic Press is a powerful, easy to squeeze and easy to clean gadget.
The wiper blades are trigger-operated and help remove the crushed garlic, so you won’t get the smell of garlic all over your fingers. The cleaning tool helps to scrape away leftover garlic residue and can be stored neatly away in the handle after use.
The Joseph Joseph CleanForce Garlic Press is dishwasher-safe or you can wash it by hand.
- Easy-clean design
- Powerful and easy to squeeze mechanism
- It comes with a cleaning tool
- It can’t crush more than one or two garlic cloves at a time
8. Best electrical garlic press: XIAOCAI Electric Mini Garlic Chopper
Price: £11.99 | Buy now from Amazon
An alternative choice to using a garlic press is a mini food processor, like the Electric Mini Garlic Chopper by XIAOCAI. This compact and powerful processor comes with three built-in 304 food-grade stainless steel blades. Thanks to the powerful blades, it can effortlessly chop, blend and mince several ingredients, including garlic, ginger and chillies.
If you struggle to use traditional garlic presses or want something that saves time and energy, then the Electric Mini Garlic Chopper is just what you need. Powered by a rechargeable USB battery, this wireless food processor only requires you to push a button to receive crushed garlic.
Other notable features are that it can hold 250ml and has a speed of 1800 rpm, so will produce great results in no time at all. It’s also easy to take apart and clean the holder, lid and blades.
- Easy to use and perfect for those who struggle with traditional garlic presses
- Can chop other ingredients, such as other herbs, vegetables, fruits and meat
- Compact and portable
- Due to its small size, large garlic pieces need to be chopped into smaller pieces. You also need to make sure you don’t overload it
9. Best easy-to-use garlic press: Yoboo® Garlic Press
Price: £8.99 | Buy now from Amazon
“This has honestly changed my garlic life. Prior to this I would always chop garlic to avoid the hard work of the traditional crusher. So much easier to clean too!” Mamainthemaking
Having the stench of garlic lingering on your fingers isn’t pleasant. Luckily, the Yoboo® Garlic Press comes with a handy peeler tube, which means you don’t need to fiddle around unpeeling cloves. It also comes with a cleaning brush, which is ideal for cleaning and removing any stubborn bits of garlic.
Similar to the Joseph Joseph Rocker™ Garlic Crusher, listed above, the Yoboo® Garlic Press rocker requires little effort to achieve crushed garlic. The arc shape and ergonomic handle add extra comfort, grip and control, allowing you to rock the garlic press back and forth easily over your cloves.
Some online reviews have criticised its durability. However, Yoboo offers a 12-month warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by giving this one a try.
- Easy to use and requires less effort compared to a traditional garlic press
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe
- It comes with a 12-month warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Some users have reported the garlic press breaking
10. Best garlic press slicer: Lakeland Garlic Slicer and Dicer with Storage Container
Price: £9.99 | Buy now from Lakeland
“I have one of these.” LadyDanburysCane
The Lakeland Garlic Slicer and Dicer can effortlessly slice, dice and purée your garlic cloves in a matter of seconds. All you need to do is choose from the two interchangeable blade settings, put your cloves in the top and press the lid down to enjoy finely sliced or diced garlic cloves. The crushed garlic cloves will then fall through into the storage pot, where you can further purée the pieces with the textured bottom.
Not only is this garlic press super easy to use, but it’s also easy to clean too. You can remove the guard on the lid, which scrapes away any garlic residue. The Garlic Slicer and Dicer comes with a cleaning tool, so you can clean between the teeth, and the entire thing is also dishwasher-safe.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe
- Can choose between slicing and dicing blade options
- It comes with a Lakeland three-year guarantee
- Can only slice/dice and purée one clove at a time
Do professional chefs use a garlic press?
It’s all about personal preference. Some professional chefs do use garlic presses. However, others prefer to chop garlic by hand as they find it quicker when cutting up large quantities of garlic.
How do I choose the best garlic press?
There are several things to consider when choosing a good garlic press, including:
- Budget: Finding a garlic press that suits your budget is one thing to consider. But remember it might be more cost-effective to spend a little extra on a well-designed presser rather than buying a cheap one that might break after only a couple of uses.
- Construction: The best way to ensure your garlic press will last is to choose a sturdy one. We recommend going for ones made from durable materials such as stainless steel or die-cast zinc.
- Size and capacity: You need to make sure the size of your garlic press holes create the right consistency for your dishes. Do you want large chunks of garlic or do you want finely chopped pieces? Think about how big/small you want your garlic to be before you pick a garlic press - some will crush several cloves at once.
- Cleaning: When choosing a garlic press, you need to think about how easy it is to clean. Some garlic presses are handwash only and some are dishwasher-safe, while some come with cleaning tools.
- Type: There are many options when it comes to the sort of garlic presses available. You can choose from:
- Traditional garlic presses (where you squeeze the handles together)
- Rocker garlic presses (where you rub the garlic clove back and forth)
- Twist garlic presses (where you twist and grind the garlic cloves up)
- Electric garlic presses (where you only have to press a button to create crushed garlic)
What is the best garlic press?
The standout pick is the Oxo Good Grips Garlic Press. Although it’s heavier than other garlic presses, this sturdy press is still comfortable and easy to use. It’s reasonably priced and, when it is treated with care, it could last for decades. And, of course, we love the fact that it’s easy to clean and dishwasher-safe, as we’re sure you will too.
How we chose our recommendations
We understand that your time is precious. Our list of best garlic presses was informed by our Mumsnet users. After all, we know that busy parents are always looking for effective kitchen utensils that offer durability and ones that help to save you time. Many of these garlic press recommendations came from our Mumsnet forums, so you can have peace of mind that they’ve been thoroughly tried and tested.
We also scoured and compiled an in-depth collection of garlic presses from review sites to bring you the very best presses on the market.
Why you should trust us
We work hard to provide unbiased, independent advice you can trust. We do sometimes earn revenue through affiliate (click-to-buy) links in our articles. This helps us fund more of the insightful articles you love, like this one.