Please or to access all these features

30 days only

Think I've messed up and am worried (insurance)

3 replies

KarKatKow · 24/09/2026 17:40

I made an insurance claim for an issue with one of my animals. My insurance year was coming to an end and I wasn't sure if I was going to renew with the same company. I thought the whole claim was going to be in one part, before the day my premium ended but they did it in 2 parts. The investigation costs first, then they planned to do the treatment claim.
I spoke to the vet receptionist on the phone and said that I didn't know if I could go ahead with the treatment afterall as the claim would probably be processed after the date my yearly premium ended and I didn't think I wanted to continue with that insurance (a claim in the first few days of a new year would tie me to the premium for the follwing 12 months and itbwas just too expensive)

They just said they would look into it. I didnt hear anything back but a few days later I got an email from my insurance saying the 2nd claim had been made from vets (before my policy date ended)

So I actually decided to stay with my insurer as I realised I could increase the excess to bring down the monthly cost.

But I decided not to go ahead with the treatment the claim was for, for various reasons (I dont want to get into those) so I emailed the vets and told them that I wouldn't be bringing my animal in for treatment after all.

I later realised that the treatment had been paid out already and so I contacted the insurers online via chat and told them that I wasn't taking my dog in for the treatment any more and they said I would need to refund them. I said that the vets had done a direct claim and it was them that needed to issue the refund as they have the money.

The guy on the chat then said that the vets should not have put a claim in if the treatment hadn't been carried out yet and that they were going to get someone to investigate what had happened.

At that point I realised that the vet must have put in the claim before the treatment because of me not being sure if I could go ahead with it if it wasn't processed before the day my policy ran out.

And now I have essentially told the insurance company that they did that, haven't I?

I am worried I am going to get in trouble too.!!
I never asked them to break any rules, I didnt even know they didnit! But I keep checking my email, waiting for the insurance or vets to send me some awful email and tell me I am somehow responsible for this big bill now?

And I am worried that I've caused a lot of grief for the vets.

I have OCD and so my brain pushes everything to extremes and now I think I am going to get arrested or something!

I just thought that because I declined the treatment I needed to let everyone know so the claim could be reversed or something :(

I feel so worried

OP posts:
Doggymummar · 24/09/2026 17:43

In these situations I think it's best dealt with sooner than later. Go in and speak to practice manager at th3 vets. I'm sure it can be sorted out. Hope yous dog is ok.

KarKatKow · 24/09/2026 17:47

Doggymummar · 24/09/2026 17:43

In these situations I think it's best dealt with sooner than later. Go in and speak to practice manager at th3 vets. I'm sure it can be sorted out. Hope yous dog is ok.

The vets is quite far away, it's not my usual one. I have terrible anxiety and MH problems so I find it difficult to talk to people even in normal situations so I really can't do this. I feel like they're going to be really mad at me and I don't even know what to say.

But I told the insurance because I thought I would get in trouble if I didn't! Because a claim had been made but no treatment carried out. I thought I can't just leave the vets with the money because that felt wrong?

My dog is doing fine thankyou, its part of the reason I didn't go ahead with the treatment.

OP posts:
Wajeehakamran · 25/09/2026 08:55

I can understand why your OCD is taking this and running with the worst possible outcome, but from what you’ve described, you were actually trying to be honest and sort it out. You didn’t ask the vets to make a false claim, and you contacted the insurer as soon as you realised what had happened. Try not to assume the worst while they investigate it.

New posts on this thread. Refresh page