Please or to access all these features

SEN

Here you'll find advice from parents and teachers on special needs education.

EHCP refusal to issue - next steps

31 replies

Worriedmotheroftwo · 12/07/2024 09:29

Last week we received refusal to issue my son's EHCP (following assessment). We have refused mediation and have the certificate and will be going to tribunal. What is our next step? I've looked it up online but it all seems quite complicated- can anyone just explain to me very very simply what we should be doing right now?

I'm thinking first step should be to inform the case coordinator that we will be going to tribunal. At that point do we give a list of reasons? I have compiled a list of why we disagree with the decision. Who do I send this to?

Thankyou!

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page
Trickortreatitspartytime · 16/07/2024 20:31

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 13:33

I can send you mine with personal details redacted if that helps? PM if you want me to do that (but let me know, as I can only view PMs on the computer and am on the app). This is for refuse to assess, right?

apologies OP for hijacking but I could really do with this help if you don’t mind sending me your form. Currently about to appeal refusal to assess and feel stuck and overwhelmed

BrumToTheRescue · 14/07/2024 17:11

at mediation the LA agreed to go back to panel.

This is part of the problem. The LA must bring someone with decision making authority.

You have time to lose. Delaying submitting an appeal, delays a hearing. If the LA is going to concede or send it back to ‘panel’ they can still do that even if you submit to SENDIST.

Itsrainingatlast · 14/07/2024 17:03

My son’s LA refused to issue, instead issuing a ‘support plan’.
I went to mediation (Global mediation, they were superb, the mediator was amazing) and at mediation the LA agreed to go back to panel. In the meantime, I lodged my appeal (also agreed at mediation) and got a date in April. We also met with the EP who had done the original report and told me she was really surprised they’d refused to issue.
Went back to panel this week; by this point the SENCO and I had gone through the support plan point by point and resubmitted it to the LA, pointing out all the errors, also had a report from CYPIT, a private cognitive ability assessment and by this time also has his ADHD assessment (already had ASD assessment).
And they agreed to issue this week.
I agree that LAs use mediation as a delaying tactic, but given there is about a 10 month wait for appeal, I don’t think you’ve got anything to lose! I suspect they want to know if you’re likely to fight or not, mediation is that first step.

Worriedmotheroftwo · 14/07/2024 14:41

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 14:23

I've done both! And in fact I already have an anonymised version I did for another Mumsnetter - would you like it?

Oh goodness, yes please! I'll pm you!! Thank you so much!

OP posts:
BrumToTheRescue · 14/07/2024 14:25

If you are submitting a SAR to the LA request all data about DS. Also submit a SAR to the school and any other agencies/professionals involved.

Don’t include representatives' names if you don’t actually have someone representing you at the moment. If you later decide to have a representative, SENDIST can be informed at that point.

Personally, I wouldn’t wait for legal advice. It really isn’t necessary at this stage and delaying submitting the SEND35 delays the appeal. You will be able to add evidence/information/expand the reasoning behind your case later. The SEND35 doesn’t need to be your whole case. Include what you have now, but don’t panic. Many add evidence/points later. The LA may concede prior to the hearing. They may not. This applies whether the SEND35 form is relatively brief or extremely detailed.

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 14:23

I've done both! And in fact I already have an anonymised version I did for another Mumsnetter - would you like it?

Worriedmotheroftwo · 14/07/2024 13:39

Thanks so much for the offer, but yes it's refusal to issue. There was no problem with getting them to agree to assess.

OP posts:
Phineyj · 14/07/2024 13:33

Oh my bad, it's refuse to issue isn't it?

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 13:33

I can send you mine with personal details redacted if that helps? PM if you want me to do that (but let me know, as I can only view PMs on the computer and am on the app). This is for refuse to assess, right?

Worriedmotheroftwo · 14/07/2024 13:29

Thanks so much for all your help.
I feel like I'm being really stupid about the SEND35 form, but im petrified of getting sonething wrong. On the SEND35 form, it asks me to list reasons for appeal. If my list isn't currently that great, will it make a difference? Or should I wait a few days/couple of weeks until I have legal advice on what exactly to write? I want to make them accept the appeal asap without needing to go to tribunal (ha wishful thinking) but won't thay depend on thr strength of what I write in the SEND35 form? Sorry if I sound really ignorant.

Also, it says on the SEND35 form to write down any legal representation names. Is it okay to write that we are in consultation with a few, and that we will shortly decide who is to represent us?

I'm also about to send a SAR in as I really need more info on what evidence was gathered, who they consulted (I don't believe they consulated everyone they were supposed to), and how the decision was made. Is there anything major I need to be including in my SAR?

Thanks so much. The support on mumsnet is wonderful.

OP posts:
Ellie56 · 14/07/2024 12:23

When we went to tribunal, our solicitor advised against mediation as you can still try to negotiate with the LA while the appeal is being processed.

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 12:17

Haha yes! Considering our LA only confirmed the name of our case officer two working days before "going to panel" (where they declined to issue), I'm not sure they would even have admitted to having a decision maker for the first 10 months of so we were dealing with them.

BrumToTheRescue · 14/07/2024 12:11

You also have to consider the fact although LAs should send a decision maker to mediation, they don’t always.

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 10:42

Yes the SEND35 form - think of it as a cover letter (like for a job or funding application) - you then attach any additional evidence.

I used to do fundraising from the National Lottery and so on and it does help a bit to think of applying for EHCP as a funding application. As that's essentially what it is.

@Shhimtryingtosleep the LA can progress the EHCHNA/EHCP process at any time, but my experience has been that they do bugger all if there's nothing legal happening. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. I did discuss it with DH the first time we declined mediation and his view was 'we think she needs assessing; they think she doesn't - what is there to mediate about?' which I agreed with. Plus we had already organised our own ASD/ADHD assessments, various therapies, secondary school place etc so frankly I was beginning to feel that we knew more than they did about what DD needed, given that it was clear they hadn't actually read anything we'd sent anyway...

BrumToTheRescue · 14/07/2024 10:23

LAs do use mediation as a delaying tactic. Obviously, that doesn’t mean it is never successful, but on the whole LAs use it as a delaying tactic. Just complete the SEND35 form and submit to SENDIST.

Worriedmotheroftwo · 14/07/2024 10:13

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 09:12

Hi OP, you can post on the EHCP support thread on here. I'll add a link in a moment.

I just put a day aside and followed the Ipsea guidance on what to include. I summarised the problems on the official form and then added a continuation sheet with more detail. Then added all the evidence (assessment reports, medical evidence, what school said and so on). I used the free version of Adobe Professional to index it all and make a pdf (SENDIST does everything by email).

I've done two tribunals and not paid anyone to do the writing part for me - did pay for a bit of advice on the draft EHCP when we finally got it.

Many thanks - are you referring to the SEND35 form? That's my current stumbling block. Haven't filled it in yet.

OP posts:
Worriedmotheroftwo · 14/07/2024 10:12

Shhimtryingtosleep · 14/07/2024 09:23

Can I ask why you refused mediation? My sons EHCP was denied and we did mediation, 30 minutes in they issued his EHCP

Seriously?! Hmmm maybe we made the wrong choice then. All I,'ve read is that they use it as a delaying tactic and that there's no point as if they're going to issue the EHCP after all, they'll do it regardless of mediation. This is the first I've heard of anyone with a mediation success story! As I say, I'm totally out of my depth here. I've already got the mediation certificate - so am I too late to do mediation now? Also, what LA was that please? Thamks so much!

OP posts:
Shhimtryingtosleep · 14/07/2024 10:03

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 09:25

@Shhimtryingtosleep lucky you! A lot of LAs use mediation as a delaying tactic.

My LA is reportedly one of the worst in the country.

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 09:25

@Shhimtryingtosleep lucky you! A lot of LAs use mediation as a delaying tactic.

Shhimtryingtosleep · 14/07/2024 09:23

Can I ask why you refused mediation? My sons EHCP was denied and we did mediation, 30 minutes in they issued his EHCP

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 09:13

EHCP support thread no. 3 - www.mumsnet.com/talk/special_educational_needs/5077140-ehcp-support-thread-no-3

Phineyj · 14/07/2024 09:12

Hi OP, you can post on the EHCP support thread on here. I'll add a link in a moment.

I just put a day aside and followed the Ipsea guidance on what to include. I summarised the problems on the official form and then added a continuation sheet with more detail. Then added all the evidence (assessment reports, medical evidence, what school said and so on). I used the free version of Adobe Professional to index it all and make a pdf (SENDIST does everything by email).

I've done two tribunals and not paid anyone to do the writing part for me - did pay for a bit of advice on the draft EHCP when we finally got it.

BrumToTheRescue · 13/07/2024 16:42

LAs often use panels or at least claim to. But it doesn’t have to be.

Worriedmotheroftwo · 13/07/2024 14:01

Sorry, another question. Is it supposed to be a panel that decides whether or not to issue an EHCP? I'm a bit suspicious as thr EHCP was refused one day after the EP report was uploaded.

OP posts: