Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Occasional places entry at London independents - how likely are these to come up?

25 replies

JovelyLubbly · 16/10/2026 23:09

My son is in y7 and although settled in well to his current school, he still would like to move to one of the schools he was on the wait list for after 11+.
i know that schools have sections for occasional places but how often do places like these actually come up? Anyone got any experience/advice moving in y8/y9?

schools in question are specifically Latymer Upper and City.

OP posts:
WizzyBizzy · 16/10/2026 23:12

It happens. Make sure the school know you would like to remain on their list.

Denim4ever · 16/10/2026 23:25

Interesting to see that both these schools have no tradition of additional Yr9 entry option. We are a bit further out of London and have nearby minor public school where entry is from year Yr 9. We also have 3 excellent private grammar schools where the main entry year is Yr7. All 3 of the private grammars have Yr9 entry available as they aim to attract the more academic kids from local prep schools or those whose parents f fry not buy into the whole public school vibe.

HawaiiWake · 17/10/2026 07:22

In the past, some kids leave for Year 9 boarding school entry or family relocation so worth asking the schools. It is only half term of first term in the first year, so why the move? Is it because of friends from primary school going to these schools? If he is settle, why do another set of entrance exams to get in? It is important to ask the underlying reason for this. Those schools do not offer a place just from the wait list once Year 7 started so they will ask for exams and interviews.

7winifred · 17/10/2026 07:28

I have moved a child on an occasional place at secondary age in London. It is possible and places do come up. However, be warned it is like redoing the 11+ without the structure and support of a prep school. It is the same process with the same number of exams followed by an interview etc. An added complication is the timings. All the schools are different. Some will bring you in immediately if they have a space, others have a set assessment point that varied from Feb to after Easter. This meant that if you were offered a place in February from your 2nd favourite choice you would have to either take or let it go as they wouldn't wait for the later assessments. It was a stressful process and if your child is settled and happy I would personally try and avoid it and move at 6th form.

SamPoodle123 · 17/10/2026 07:30

There will always be people that come and go in London schools. We know someone leaving at LU in year 9 to go to another school because they did the 13+ during the 11+. At my dd school girls have gone because moving to boarding school or leaving the country. One girl moved to state. If your dc is keen, you need to be in touch with those schools and follow up etc. They might have them sit another test.

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 10:26

Thank you for all the replies.

I am not saying anything out loud to him to encourage anything as I don’t want him to have any expectations let alone manage anything. I don’t want to make it a thing at all. But if the option is there, why not?
I know he sometimes thinks about why he wasn’t good enough for a full offer (and not a reserve place) especially when he sees children in the uniform going to/from school on his own journey to school. I suppose I just want to do what I can.

to be honest, just wanted to gauge some opinions here on if there is any actual movement.

I can imagine there’s very few who did exams for both 11+ and then 13+ (few boys who did it at his school in y6) but only need to tell the school before the final term of y8. And even then, it’s not guaranteed.

It’s the lack of structure and timings Ofcourse that would be different to 11+ as a previous reply mentioned but he is quite academic and the pressure of another test doesn’t phase him.

OP posts:
HawaiiWake · 17/10/2026 14:37

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 10:26

Thank you for all the replies.

I am not saying anything out loud to him to encourage anything as I don’t want him to have any expectations let alone manage anything. I don’t want to make it a thing at all. But if the option is there, why not?
I know he sometimes thinks about why he wasn’t good enough for a full offer (and not a reserve place) especially when he sees children in the uniform going to/from school on his own journey to school. I suppose I just want to do what I can.

to be honest, just wanted to gauge some opinions here on if there is any actual movement.

I can imagine there’s very few who did exams for both 11+ and then 13+ (few boys who did it at his school in y6) but only need to tell the school before the final term of y8. And even then, it’s not guaranteed.

It’s the lack of structure and timings Ofcourse that would be different to 11+ as a previous reply mentioned but he is quite academic and the pressure of another test doesn’t phase him.

Maybe over half term, asked DC, as you said you know he thinks but it would be better stated clearly he wants to give it a go and sit another round of exams and interviews. Also, is there one school he wants to focus?
Those schools you stated are the opposite parts of London and one is coed and one is boys only.

LULULULau · 17/10/2026 15:05

I’ve got a child at Latymer. A few joined in Y8 and a few more in Y9. I think a handful left after y8 to Board. It’s also a very international
school so there is a bit of movement with families relocating.

They all joined at the start of the year. Can’t recall anyone joining mid year.

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 15:30

HawaiiWake · 17/10/2026 14:37

Maybe over half term, asked DC, as you said you know he thinks but it would be better stated clearly he wants to give it a go and sit another round of exams and interviews. Also, is there one school he wants to focus?
Those schools you stated are the opposite parts of London and one is coed and one is boys only.

He was on the waiting list for both which is why I asked for both. We live close to Latymer and he went to primary school around there and City we have friends there and he really loved both.
I know it’s a good idea to ask him but I also don’t want to put any ideas in his head that this could be a possibility as if it doesn’t work out he will have just gotten over it and then get upset again.

hope the last bit makes sense. Thank you!

OP posts:
SamPoodle123 · 17/10/2026 15:39

Are you sure he really wants to move? Esp if he has settled in well. If he is happy where he is at he should stay there. If he moved and did not like the new school then what? I would only move if a child was not happy at their school or if there was some other issue. Is the school academic enough?

LULULULau · 17/10/2026 15:40

I would definitely give them both a ring to ask. They may already know whether they’ll have spaces next year and will want to fill them. More likely they won’t know until Easter but you never know.

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 15:49

Ok I asked him, he said he definitely wants to move if he can and he’s happy to do more exams.
he just said that’s why he chose Mandarin and continued with French as he checked the requirements himself for moving. The school he is at now is not academic enough no, he is not getting pushed. He does all the “challenge” bits for homework.

I don’t know if I am going to articulate the below properly but it’s not that he’s unhappy - he’s a happy boy in general who makes the best of situations he’s in. He isn’t unsettled because he knew from March pretty much that the school he is in now is where he would be going from September so he had time to mentally adjust and once it became clear that waiting lists wouldn’t move, there was no point dwelling on it. I just think he would be happier and more pushed academically for sure. And now he’s told me the above about picking specific languages, he obviously thinks the same.

OP posts:
MerryAquaKoala · 17/10/2026 16:14

Hi Op - what school is DS at currently?

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 16:19

hello, he’s at Thomas’s College

OP posts:
MerryAquaKoala · 17/10/2026 16:27

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 16:19

hello, he’s at Thomas’s College

Ah yes. The newish one in Richmond? I've heard good things about how it's going there. But it's obviously not as established / same kudos as the other 2 you're looking at. Ime places do come up now and then (especially in West London schools where families move countries relatively often), and no harm at all in calling each school now and then to remind them you're here and waiting.
Even if he stays where he is longer (say to end of Y7/8), he'll get a great education in the meantime. Then more movement for Y9, if need be, Good Luck - he will definitely be able to move at some point, it's only a matter of when and in the meantime, putting everything into his current school.

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 16:39

MerryAquaKoala · 17/10/2026 16:27

Ah yes. The newish one in Richmond? I've heard good things about how it's going there. But it's obviously not as established / same kudos as the other 2 you're looking at. Ime places do come up now and then (especially in West London schools where families move countries relatively often), and no harm at all in calling each school now and then to remind them you're here and waiting.
Even if he stays where he is longer (say to end of Y7/8), he'll get a great education in the meantime. Then more movement for Y9, if need be, Good Luck - he will definitely be able to move at some point, it's only a matter of when and in the meantime, putting everything into his current school.

Edited

Yes, that’s the one. And again, the school is very exciting, the HT is great and the vibe is nurturing. But it’s a not an academic school at the forefront (which is great for so many children but I think he needs that).
I think your last point is the most important, he can’t take his eyes off the ball either way whether he stays or if any exams to move do materialise.

OP posts:
SamPoodle123 · 17/10/2026 17:37

I see he goes to Thomas's college, so I understand why he might perhaps be looking for a more academic school. I would say go for it. Always good to try for something then wonder what if later. I know two dc who did not get into their top choices during the 11+ and ended up getting occasional spots down the line at top schools (one of them St Paul's!). So it can happen, but they were prepping for it and opted to attend a prep school that was geared towards this.

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 18:25

SamPoodle123 · 17/10/2026 17:37

I see he goes to Thomas's college, so I understand why he might perhaps be looking for a more academic school. I would say go for it. Always good to try for something then wonder what if later. I know two dc who did not get into their top choices during the 11+ and ended up getting occasional spots down the line at top schools (one of them St Paul's!). So it can happen, but they were prepping for it and opted to attend a prep school that was geared towards this.

Sorry I don’t understand, do you mean a prep school that continues until year 8?

OP posts:
SaltNVinegarRyvita · 17/10/2026 19:04

If you plan to leave him in the same (new) private school until year 13 then it’s well worth moving. 7 years is a long time to feel like you deserve better. Also from a value for money perspective you’d be happier if he was in a more academic school.

however do consider that given the number of children who compete for an occasional vacancy (as against 11+) it’s quite tough to win the spot. Would he feel defeated if he got rejected again? Do consider this as it shouldn’t damage his self esteem.

My DD passed grammar at 11+ but didn’t get a place. She mentioned casually she might try in later years but I’m not sure it would be good for her confidence to be rejected again. So I’m steering her towards trying for 6th form instead.

SamPoodle123 · 17/10/2026 19:56

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 18:25

Sorry I don’t understand, do you mean a prep school that continues until year 8?

Yea, for the kids that did 13+ and stay on. Some preps continue for this reason. Otherwise, none of the kids would do 13+ if it meant they all had to find a place for 11+ to carry on.

JovelyLubbly · 17/10/2026 23:17

SaltNVinegarRyvita · 17/10/2026 19:04

If you plan to leave him in the same (new) private school until year 13 then it’s well worth moving. 7 years is a long time to feel like you deserve better. Also from a value for money perspective you’d be happier if he was in a more academic school.

however do consider that given the number of children who compete for an occasional vacancy (as against 11+) it’s quite tough to win the spot. Would he feel defeated if he got rejected again? Do consider this as it shouldn’t damage his self esteem.

My DD passed grammar at 11+ but didn’t get a place. She mentioned casually she might try in later years but I’m not sure it would be good for her confidence to be rejected again. So I’m steering her towards trying for 6th form instead.

Sorry I missed this - I think he would be upset but still would want to try.
I remember seeing a thread from someone working in admissions - I can’t find it now but I wonder what the ratio is of places an available to how many people apply for these one off places.
for example, I couple of years ago I (not her) really wanted my daughter to get into a specific school but as year 7/8 rolled by, it seemed like actually the school she was at was a good fit for her so I never even thought about it again. This must be the case for the majority no?

OP posts:
HawaiiWake · 17/10/2026 23:34

Worth giving it a go but do ask how many places. Also, families at Emanuel school told us they doing a 13+ entry pathway, assuming it would have more spaces as it set up for it. There is St. Paul and Westminster with 13+ places, if your DC really wants an super selective academic school.

lndmum23 · 18/10/2026 08:36

I feel like the start of Y7 is really when the school/teachers are getting to know each child, help them settle into new routines, build community and friendships with the push on academics coming later. Students have come from a variety of schools with different levels of knowledge. Full disclosure I’m also a Thomas’s parent and have felt they aren’t being stretched yet, but I also appreciate the soft start to help my child settle in and also experience a much wider range of subjects than at prep school. Personally I want a well rounded child who does well academically but also has confidence, kindness etc than just the top grades. Have you spoken to their tutor or subject teachers about your concerns?

Ultimately you know your child best and if it isn’t the right school for them, then reaching out to other schools and inquiring about the availability of space, the process etc is the next best step. We had a wobble with our oldest when he was in Y7 (different school) and looked at other schools but ultimately he stayed and is now thriving in Y10 academically and socially. It just took time, and 6 weeks into the first term is quite early to decide it’s not the right school.

brillodeluna · 21/10/2026 08:32

Try Ibstock! The registration deadline for occasional places is at the end of October . Exams in January . Give them a call

SPGSParent · 21/10/2026 14:36

@JovelyLubbly There is often a lot of movement at these schools because they often have quite an international cohort (and their parents have to move overseas for work etc).

My advice would be to phone the Admissions office, find out whether, if occasional places come up, they are first offered to WL candidates. Often this will be the case right up to Y9/10 at some schools.

I know from other parents in your position that persistence is key - letting the school know that you are still interested in a place if one comes up and that you would accept it right away can make all the difference. I know of a few parents at different schools who've been told that their DC ended up getting a place in Y7/8/9 because they kept in touch with the Admissions dept and made it clear they were still interested in a move (even though their DC might not have been top of the WL at that point). Good luck!

New posts on this thread. Refresh page
Swipe left for the next trending thread