Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Bromley ; No preferred school offered

34 replies

Bromley12 · 10/03/2026 18:34

Hi

My son passed both Kent and Bexley test, so we went for 5 grammar schools and 1 state school. We did get any of the preferred school, only school offered was Bishop Justus which personally did not like and have declined.
We like Ravens Wood School for which we are in catchment (1.7 miles away), the offered last distance on March 2nd was 2.4 Miles, so definitely my son would have got the offer.

I have requested Bromley council to add Ravens Wood School now for which he will be in waiting list.

I am really worried and confused now, is there any value if I appeal for Ravens Wood?

Thank you.

OP posts:
Bromley12 · 10/03/2026 21:38

clary · 10/03/2026 21:03

I was under the impression you could only appeal for a school where you listed it and failed to get a place? However maybe "applying" now counts as that. Lots of appeal experts on this board who I am sure can correct me i I am wrong.

It does sound as tho you may get a WL place @Bromley12 as there is so much movement. What is your plan if you don’t tho? Are you happy to home ed? Is private a possibility? Have you asked the LA which other schools have space to see if you would accept any of them? Do you have any ground sfor appeal to any of the schools you did list?

Sorry to be a pedant (but I am!) but grammar schools, unless they are fee-paying private schools with a legacy "grammar" in the name (which I don’t think they are in Kent), are state schools. Just as comprehensives are.

Thank you for your reply.

We do not have any plans, also we cannot afford private.

I blame my self to be in this position.

OP posts:
clary · 10/03/2026 21:03

I was under the impression you could only appeal for a school where you listed it and failed to get a place? However maybe "applying" now counts as that. Lots of appeal experts on this board who I am sure can correct me i I am wrong.

It does sound as tho you may get a WL place @Bromley12 as there is so much movement. What is your plan if you don’t tho? Are you happy to home ed? Is private a possibility? Have you asked the LA which other schools have space to see if you would accept any of them? Do you have any ground sfor appeal to any of the schools you did list?

Sorry to be a pedant (but I am!) but grammar schools, unless they are fee-paying private schools with a legacy "grammar" in the name (which I don’t think they are in Kent), are state schools. Just as comprehensives are.

Bromley12 · 10/03/2026 19:11

EmbarrassmentLovesCompany · 10/03/2026 18:52

Appeal on what grounds?

I know it is too late fir you now, but incase anyone else is reading in the future - you should always put down a school you are pretty certain of getting, because the alternative is a school you for the like that isnt convenient.

You also should never reject the offered school, unless you gave an alternative (eg home education or private) as by naking you an offer the LEA have met their duty. It doesnt increase your chances of getting the school you want.

Anyway, if you have a legitimate reason to appeal, do so. If there are other schools you would consider, go on the wait list for them too.

It does sound like you will be high up the wait list for your local school. Fingers crossed a place becomes available.

Thank you. Hopefully 👍. I never ever make this mistake again.. 😞.

OP posts:
Bromley12 · 10/03/2026 19:09

LostMySocks · 10/03/2026 18:59

Dont panic. We're bromley too but DS already at secondary.

Last year the waiting lists moved a lot but you need to be patient. There is some movement after the Bromley reallocation but the big moves come after kent reallocation as furst suoer selectives reallocate and then the standard grammars move too.

DS got offered Ravenswood a few weeks after reallocation and then a grammar.

Depending on where you are with a son and a bexley pass then do you have Beth's on your list as I hear that they can go down to criteria 8 (Kent pass) by end of the summer.

Thank you 🤞 .

OP posts:
Bromley12 · 10/03/2026 19:08

FakeTwix · 10/03/2026 19:01

Why did you decline your offered school? You don't have to intend to go there but you do need to accept your offer to maintain the 'contract' with the council.

Hi
Yes I know, I shouldn't have declined it 😞

OP posts:
FakeTwix · 10/03/2026 19:01

Why did you decline your offered school? You don't have to intend to go there but you do need to accept your offer to maintain the 'contract' with the council.

LostMySocks · 10/03/2026 18:59

Dont panic. We're bromley too but DS already at secondary.

Last year the waiting lists moved a lot but you need to be patient. There is some movement after the Bromley reallocation but the big moves come after kent reallocation as furst suoer selectives reallocate and then the standard grammars move too.

DS got offered Ravenswood a few weeks after reallocation and then a grammar.

Depending on where you are with a son and a bexley pass then do you have Beth's on your list as I hear that they can go down to criteria 8 (Kent pass) by end of the summer.

LostMySocks · 10/03/2026 18:59

Dont panic. We're bromley too but DS already at secondary.

Last year the waiting lists moved a lot but you need to be patient. There is some movement after the Bromley reallocation but the big moves come after kent reallocation as furst suoer selectives reallocate and then the standard grammars move too.

DS got offered Ravenswood a few weeks after reallocation and then a grammar.

Depending on where you are with a son and a bexley pass then do you have Beth's on your list as I hear that they can go down to criteria 8 (Kent pass) by end of the summer.

EmbarrassmentLovesCompany · 10/03/2026 18:52

Appeal on what grounds?

I know it is too late fir you now, but incase anyone else is reading in the future - you should always put down a school you are pretty certain of getting, because the alternative is a school you for the like that isnt convenient.

You also should never reject the offered school, unless you gave an alternative (eg home education or private) as by naking you an offer the LEA have met their duty. It doesnt increase your chances of getting the school you want.

Anyway, if you have a legitimate reason to appeal, do so. If there are other schools you would consider, go on the wait list for them too.

It does sound like you will be high up the wait list for your local school. Fingers crossed a place becomes available.

Swipe left for the next trending thread