Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Bromley ; No preferred school offered

34 replies

Bromley12 · 10/03/2026 18:34

Hi

My son passed both Kent and Bexley test, so we went for 5 grammar schools and 1 state school. We did get any of the preferred school, only school offered was Bishop Justus which personally did not like and have declined.
We like Ravens Wood School for which we are in catchment (1.7 miles away), the offered last distance on March 2nd was 2.4 Miles, so definitely my son would have got the offer.

I have requested Bromley council to add Ravens Wood School now for which he will be in waiting list.

I am really worried and confused now, is there any value if I appeal for Ravens Wood?

Thank you.

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page
starpatch · 29/07/2026 07:04

Thats great news!

Bromley12 · 29/07/2026 02:46

My son got offered in Hayes. Thanks all.

OP posts:
GoodkneeBadKnee · 25/06/2026 10:13

Bromley12 · 25/06/2026 09:55

Hi @LostMySocks thank you, just to let you know a child from same street door number 5 got offered not us.. looks like we missed by few meters.

Years ago, my DS was on the waiting list for Hayes. A child a few doors up from us got a place, we didn't. Joined waiting list, and eventually did get a place from 6th position. Hayes is a good school. Both my DCs did very well there.

Bromley12 · 25/06/2026 09:55

LostMySocks · 25/06/2026 09:17

There is definitely still movement in the wider Bromley area even in to September.
A different school but there are 2 boys in my son's transition day photo that didn't start at the school in September and more joined later. You have to sit tight, stay on the waiting list and decide whether you'd move after start of school year if kids dont turn up.

Hi @LostMySocks thank you, just to let you know a child from same street door number 5 got offered not us.. looks like we missed by few meters.

OP posts:
Bromley12 · 25/06/2026 09:54

MarchingFrogs · 25/06/2026 07:52

Well, you need a) not to have anyone join the waiting list who is ranked higher against the oversubscription criteria than your DC and b) at least one of those who have accepted their place at Hayes to turn it down. I say 'at least', because if the year group is over PAN for some reason (late finalisation of EHCP naming the school/ appeal(s) upheld / last offer being to a twin and the school has a policy to admit the other twin in that situation- I don't know the school, does it have that policy? - etc), you are waiting for enough places to be turned down to take it to one under PAN.

In the meantime, in the absence of any school place at all, I would be making at least 'skeleton' plans for home education; providing a suitable full-time education is your responsibility; you can do this by asking the LA to provide an education for your DC, which you did when you submittedy our CAF, but in turn it did this by following the Admissions Code and offering you a place at your nearest undersubscribed school when none of your.initial preferences could be met.

If you really don't want to / can't organise home ed, is the school you turned down still undersubscribed?

Hi @MarchingFrogs we have accepted Bullers Boys for now, but son is Keen to goto Hayes as many of his friends will be going there.

OP posts:
LostMySocks · 25/06/2026 09:17

There is definitely still movement in the wider Bromley area even in to September.
A different school but there are 2 boys in my son's transition day photo that didn't start at the school in September and more joined later. You have to sit tight, stay on the waiting list and decide whether you'd move after start of school year if kids dont turn up.

LIZS · 25/06/2026 08:35

I think any decision re private will have been made by now as otherwise liable for fees for the autumn term. Presumably all places are confirmed for the September intake so it would take a significant and sudden change of circumstance to release a place now and even that may not release a space for your dc if they have had any successful appeals or priority like EHCP going over PAN.

BirdLandedonmyHead · 25/06/2026 08:27

There maybe people who are still deciding between Private and State, people who have a Hayes offer still on waiting lists for a higher preference, and families who are moving away. It does depend as well like PP said on how many over PAN they are are after appeals.

The same with all your other waiting lists.

MarchingFrogs · 25/06/2026 07:52

Well, you need a) not to have anyone join the waiting list who is ranked higher against the oversubscription criteria than your DC and b) at least one of those who have accepted their place at Hayes to turn it down. I say 'at least', because if the year group is over PAN for some reason (late finalisation of EHCP naming the school/ appeal(s) upheld / last offer being to a twin and the school has a policy to admit the other twin in that situation- I don't know the school, does it have that policy? - etc), you are waiting for enough places to be turned down to take it to one under PAN.

In the meantime, in the absence of any school place at all, I would be making at least 'skeleton' plans for home education; providing a suitable full-time education is your responsibility; you can do this by asking the LA to provide an education for your DC, which you did when you submittedy our CAF, but in turn it did this by following the Admissions Code and offering you a place at your nearest undersubscribed school when none of your.initial preferences could be met.

If you really don't want to / can't organise home ed, is the school you turned down still undersubscribed?

Bromley12 · 24/06/2026 16:58

Hi

As of today we are waiting list number 1 for Hayes School. Council said school is full and all the children have accepted, tone was not encouraging, so what does this mean ? I thought being in position 1 my son would have a realistic chance ?
Please share your thoughts.

OP posts:
SydneyCarton · 16/03/2026 19:09

We were in the same position last year although no grammars; didn’t get any of the preferred schools and were given Bishop. We accepted the place with gritted teeth and went on all the waiting lists for the other schools, and ended up with an offer from Bullers Wood by May half term. The lists do move; my daughter’s friend was 30th on the Bullers list and got offered a place at October half term but declined as she was happy with Ravensbourne. Another friend’s son got a Chis and Sid offer towards the end of the summer holidays so I wouldn’t give up yet!

Cumberland1977 · 16/03/2026 18:53

My son was also on the list for grammar school, but I took people’s advice and sent him to Ravens Wood instead. Unfortunately, it was five years of agony for him. By the time he left, he had barely any GCSEs, and they didn’t even mark his coursework. They were very harsh with detentions and inclusions, and it felt like the head had no control over the situation. When I started raising complaints, I felt like the school began harassing me as well.
Of course, the choice is yours — I’m just sharing our experience.

Bromley12 · 16/03/2026 17:58

Cumberland1977 · 14/03/2026 17:32

I would avoid Ravens wood. All together. Really vile vindictive teachers in that school. You re in for a surprise.

Hi @Cumberland1977

Everyone so far has given me good feedback about Ravens Wood. Can you be more specific what are the problem ?

OP posts:
Bromley12 · 16/03/2026 17:57

Lougle · 13/03/2026 07:43

Just to clear a few things up. You can apply for any school as a late applicant and join the waiting list. You can also appeal for any school, not just ones you originally applied for.

Your action plan should be:

  • Contact the LA and ask for any schools with places. Take one of them.
  • Ask to be added to the WL for all schools you would consider.

Do you have any grounds for appeal?

Hi

No grounds for appeal.

OP posts:
Bromley12 · 16/03/2026 17:56

Sunny54321 · 12/03/2026 17:26

Also check you're still on the waiting list for the grammars. If you're the Chislehurst side of Bromley, you might be ok for Chis&Sid and Beth's over the next few weeks/months.

Hi @Sunny54321

Yes, we are in the waiting list for Grammars too.

OP posts:
Cumberland1977 · 14/03/2026 17:32

I would avoid Ravens wood. All together. Really vile vindictive teachers in that school. You re in for a surprise.

Lougle · 13/03/2026 07:43

Just to clear a few things up. You can apply for any school as a late applicant and join the waiting list. You can also appeal for any school, not just ones you originally applied for.

Your action plan should be:

  • Contact the LA and ask for any schools with places. Take one of them.
  • Ask to be added to the WL for all schools you would consider.

Do you have any grounds for appeal?

Bromley12 · 12/03/2026 18:25

Sunny54321 · 12/03/2026 17:26

Also check you're still on the waiting list for the grammars. If you're the Chislehurst side of Bromley, you might be ok for Chis&Sid and Beth's over the next few weeks/months.

Hi @Sunny54321

Yed we are on waiting list for those schools.
We are in BR2, I know Beths go long way, we are 7.2 miles away from Beths.

OP posts:
Sunny54321 · 12/03/2026 17:26

Also check you're still on the waiting list for the grammars. If you're the Chislehurst side of Bromley, you might be ok for Chis&Sid and Beth's over the next few weeks/months.

Bromley12 · 12/03/2026 14:47

greenfingers2026 · 11/03/2026 21:14

Don't despair! There's always quite a bit of movement over the coming weeks and months, especially if you would consider a few different schools. Where did you put on your list originally?

Hi @greenfingers2026

I did not put Ravens Wood originally in the application, I have now, Bromley said they will add the school to waiting from April 6th.

OP posts:
greenfingers2026 · 11/03/2026 21:14

Don't despair! There's always quite a bit of movement over the coming weeks and months, especially if you would consider a few different schools. Where did you put on your list originally?

Bromley12 · 11/03/2026 20:59

Purpletoes · 10/03/2026 23:03

Did you not put Ravenswood as your comprehensive school choice? If so why did you not get it if inside the catchment by that much? I know catchment this year has gone out further than 1.7 miles.

If you did put it as one of your choices you can appeal on grounds of why it wasn't given to you.

Hi

We did not put Ravens Wood School in our preference in the original application but we have added it now.

OP posts:
Purpletoes · 10/03/2026 23:03

Did you not put Ravenswood as your comprehensive school choice? If so why did you not get it if inside the catchment by that much? I know catchment this year has gone out further than 1.7 miles.

If you did put it as one of your choices you can appeal on grounds of why it wasn't given to you.

MarchingFrogs · 10/03/2026 22:47

I was under the impression you could only appeal for a school where you listed it and failed to get a place? However maybe "applying" now counts as that. Lots of appeal experts on this board who I am sure can correct me i I am wrong.

Whenever one applies, applying (not just 'asking to go on a waiting list') and being refused a place triggers the right to appeal the decision not to admit. From another angle, if you ring up a school and someone saysa place is available, that place is not yours unless and until you actually apply for it and it is established that yours is either the only application, or that you are at the top of the waiting list.

For Bromley residents, the relevant info is here
https://www.bromley.gov.uk/secondary-school-admissions/secondary-school-places

(Scroll down to 'Important information').

clary · 10/03/2026 21:49

OK well if private is not possible I would contact the LA admissions team tomorrow and see what they can offer. Unless you want to HE, I am thinking a school you are not mad about is better than no school? Then yes, all the WLs there are. Pretty sure there is no max number.

Swipe left for the next trending thread