Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Secondary school offer day disaster – independent place but no bursary. Appeal chances?

58 replies

Putneyparent · 04/03/2026 08:59

On offer day my DS wasn’t offered a place at any of the schools we put down. He’s one of only three children in his class who didn’t get a single choice and has instead been allocated a random school by the council which we really don’t want.

He sat a few 11+ tests and has been offered a place at an independent school - but he didn’t get a bursary or scholarship. I’d been fairly confident about an academic scholarship but I completely appreciate competition is fierce. As it stands, I would really struggle to pay the fees.

The indie have given me until tomorrow morning to accept or decline. I do intend to appeal the state school decisions.

My questions are:
• If I accept the independent school place, does that harm my appeal chances? I’m worried the panel will say “well, he has a school” and that will count against us.
• Conversely, would it be foolish to decline the indie place given I have no idea how the appeals will pan out?
• To accept the indie place I have to pay a £2,725 non-refundable holding deposit, which I absolutely cannot afford to lose if he doesn’t end up going there.

I feel completely stuck between a rock and a hard place and the clock is ticking. Has anyone been in a similar situation or has experience of appeals where there was also an independent offer on the table?

Any constructive advice very gratefully received.

OP posts:
Bukrahfilmishmish · 04/03/2026 09:14

The appeals panel will not know that your DS has a place at an independent school. Even if they did, they cannot take that into consideration when deciding the appeal.

Kindly, if you can’t afford to lose the independent school deposit, you can’t afford the fees.

There are several regular posters who are legal experts on the appeal process who give advice every year. @prh47bridge is very knowledgeable and helpful. I suggest you start a new thread to ask for advice on how to appeal.

TikTokker · 04/03/2026 09:09

If you can’t afford the deposit comfortably, please for the love of god don’t take on school fees. Trust me, they are a fucking bind.

Ohfudgeoff · 04/03/2026 09:09

dippedydoodah · 04/03/2026 09:05

If you can't afford the deposit without significant stress, you can't afford the school place at the independent - however much you might want it. Set that option aside, accept the LA offer of a school place and focus on appealing your State school choices.

This was my thoughts too.

Would the potential fees be covered from your income?

redskyAtNigh · 04/03/2026 09:08

I'd suggest the first decision to make is whether you can afford the private school or not. Your post sounds like you can't. So maybe you just need to rule it out?

As well as appeals, you also have a chance to get a place through waiting lists. Make sure you are on the waiting lists for the state schools that you applied for, and any others that you would consider. There is generally a lot of movement between now and September.

Consider what your backstop is if you don't get a preferred state school. Is it to scrimp and save for private? Is it to home educate? Is it to find the "least worst" state school?

(Having a private offer does not affect appeals)

2chocolateoranges · 04/03/2026 09:07

You e already said you would struggle to pay fees. What happens if you lose your job, are unwell and can’t afford the fees. The indie school is not an option for you.

you need to appeal the state school placing.

TeenToTwenties · 04/03/2026 09:06

Accept the state place.
Get on waiting list for any state schools you prefer to the offered one.
Appeal if you have grounds.
You may well get a waiting place anyway.

If you can't afford the indie then don't accept it.

Re Appealing. Think what is better at the preferred schools. Not travel or ofsted rating or friends, but extra curricular, subjects at gcse that your DS has proven interest in, etc.

dippedydoodah · 04/03/2026 09:05

If you can't afford the deposit without significant stress, you can't afford the school place at the independent - however much you might want it. Set that option aside, accept the LA offer of a school place and focus on appealing your State school choices.

Pleasealexa · 04/03/2026 09:05

To accept the indie place I have to pay a £2,725 non-refundable holding deposit, which I absolutely cannot afford to lose if he doesn’t end up going there

If he goes to private you will be paying way more than that and potentially a terms fees, if you sign a contract.

The appeals won't know or care about the private school place. I think it's more important to weigh up the chances of a place through waiting list or appeal.

If you were unsuccessful with a state school place can you afford private?

Is the allocated school really unacceptable? Do you know why your son wasn't offered his choices?

I feel for you as know it's extremely stressful and the uncertainty won't resolve quickly.