Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

London 11+ Offers: What did you get and what did you pick?

60 replies

drdee · 02/03/2026 05:48

Calling all mums - let’s talk! Especially September 2026 Year 7 mums - we’ll need this ☺️🌸

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page
swdd · 01/04/2026 11:32

challengeAcceptedd · 05/03/2026 19:57

@MissRB If money was not a concern, I wouldn’t think twice!
It is a fact that the environment at HBS is very intense. The girls there are all brilliant however the teaching style is unsupportive. Have you checked on the student forum? Do your daughter a favour and search HBS on there and read the accounts of many girls who are studying currently or have studied at HBS.

NLCS is a wonderful school, providing a nurturing environment, there’s something for everyone there and while super academic is definitively not intense. The facilities are also top notch.
They get the results without the stress.

Oh, and there’s tutoring from Y7 at HBS, almost everyone does it. 7 years is a long time to be in a pressure cooker.
HBS is not the bees knees.

If money was not a concern, I wouldn’t think twice!

Surely a top-tier selective private school offers more value than a top selective grammar. If Henrietta Barnett charged the same fees as North London Collegiate, I imagine almost no one would choose HB. The real question is: whether the value added to the DD justifies the significant cost to the parent. Every DD/family is different.

PlainSkyr · 06/03/2026 09:02

Yoyoflow · 02/03/2026 19:52

DD got into Wallington High School for Girls (Grammar) and Godolphin & Latymer and she is on waiting list for LEH.

Not sure if we should go for G&L or stick to state options. DD wants to go to G&L but fees are too high and we will be stretching ourselves.

Edited

These schools are geographically quite distant; curious to understand will you be moving home? Wallington is quite far from the other 2 schools which are also quite far from each other!

MissRB · 05/03/2026 21:18

@challengeAcceptedd Thank you! You know, all these years I didn't think of researching in the students forum! That's such a good tip for everyone!

I think I am getting closer to making a decision.

drdee · 05/03/2026 20:46

@MissRB No prob at all- I’m glad it was helpful in some way. Good luck with the decision, and I hope your DD loves her new school x

@challengeAcceptedd I totally agree x

OP posts:
challengeAcceptedd · 05/03/2026 19:57

@MissRB If money was not a concern, I wouldn’t think twice!
It is a fact that the environment at HBS is very intense. The girls there are all brilliant however the teaching style is unsupportive. Have you checked on the student forum? Do your daughter a favour and search HBS on there and read the accounts of many girls who are studying currently or have studied at HBS.

NLCS is a wonderful school, providing a nurturing environment, there’s something for everyone there and while super academic is definitively not intense. The facilities are also top notch.
They get the results without the stress.

Oh, and there’s tutoring from Y7 at HBS, almost everyone does it. 7 years is a long time to be in a pressure cooker.
HBS is not the bees knees.

MissRB · 05/03/2026 17:47

@drdee Very well communicated and great points. Thank you for your perspective and your time. It was indeed helpful.

Will keep you posted on our decision.
Thank you once again. And wishing your child and the family all the very best for the next innings.

drdee · 05/03/2026 17:40

Just to be clear, I’m not suggesting that Oxbridge prefers students from top independent schools.

What I mean is that if a girl got a offer from highly selective school like NLCS, admissions tutors would recognise that she is likely to be capable and successful wherever she studies. Attending a independent school like that wouldn’t be seen as a disadvantage or count against her.
🙏🏻🌸

OP posts:
drdee · 05/03/2026 17:32

@MissRB By the way, I have a relative who is a professor at Cambridge. She mentioned that they don’t necessarily evaluate students from highly selective independent schools in the same way as those from less or not selective ones.

Her point was that if a child manages to get into a top independent school, it already indicates a significant achievement at a young age (natural ability since age 11). However, when a student comes from a less or not selective independent school, admissions tutors sometimes wonder whether that student might have achieved the same grades if they had attended a state school instead.

OP posts:
drdee · 05/03/2026 17:22

@MissRB When it comes to Oxbridge or other top universities, the type of school (independent vs state) is usually not the deciding factor. Universities mainly look at academic performance, admissions tests, interviews, and genuine interest in the subject.

Independent schools sometimes send more students to Oxbridge, but that can also be related to preparation and cohort size. For example, last year Henrietta Barnett Grammar School sent 34 students to Oxbridge, and around 20% of City of London Girls students went to Oxbridge. Since City has a smaller year group, I think that percentage is actually very strong.

Independent schools also tend to have strong preparation systems, experienced teachers, and more structured guidance for applications and interviews. So the difference is usually more about preparation and support rather than any direct preference from universities.

Personally, I also think students benefit a lot from the networks and opportunities available in independent schools-this is something I experienced myself.

For us, what matters most is not only grades or future jobs, but also the environment and the opportunities a school provides. The overall atmosphere, resources, and the kind of peer group and encouragement a child receives can make a big difference in a child’s development.

Both options are very good, and you may well be right that in some cases certain companies prefer candidates who come from state schools. However, my personal preference is to choose an environment that can provide my child with every opportunity and resources they might need and support their development in the best possible way.

OP posts:
MissRB · 05/03/2026 16:40

@drdee yes, we are considering both and will decide before 16th. Also, Indies need a 1 term notice for exit..which means if one dosent decide to attend an indie school ...one has to let them know by the 26th of March or they pay Year 7 Autumn term fees.

That's said, what are your thoughts on Oxbridge or university prospects of a candidate from an indie vs state. In some sectors when it comes to internship/ job...a kid with state sector education is picked.

I am not sure about universities though...

drdee · 05/03/2026 16:27

@MissRB We preferred the private option, which is City. If you can afford it, I would go with NLCS.

However, if you choose NLCS, please don’t keep the state school option until September. I met a parent at JAGS who was very worried about the state school results because she said that otherwise she would have to pay 30% of the school fees (bursary applicant).

You can ask NLCS if a refund is possible - I think some schools allow you to cancel and receive a refund within 14 days, not sure!

Good luck with the decision!

OP posts:
MissRB · 05/03/2026 16:19

@Blinkofaneye2 are you for real. Still no real contribution. Just people bashing.

You are making a fool of yourself in this forum. Please inform yourself before posting. 16th if March is the Formal London Council Deadline - to accept , reject or wish to go back in the wait list. It's an action to be taken. No action means a decline.

I don't know why this discussion of offer holders vs WL . Everyone is honestly trying to make a decision here and move on. Believe me - whole motive of the 11+ process in not to sit with 2 offers. 😁

Blinkofaneye2 · 05/03/2026 15:35

I'm afraid it's you who are now making assumptions. I don't have experience of being WL, but it only takes an ounce of empathy to understand the position of those who are.

The system is that you make a decision by the indie acceptance date (which was this week) so that if you have state offers, they can be reallocated asap. And if not, your indie place can be offered elsewhere. That is why there is a date, and that is the system. If everyone abides by it, things run pretty smoothly. I'm afraid those who don't come across as pretty entitled. The 16th is just an arbitrary date you've invented for yourself.

Yes, some people's circumstances will change before Sept. But that's not your position. You're simply unable to decide between two schools.

If you're going to post on a public forum, you can't expect everyone to condone your decisions.

I suggest you spend five minutes looking at the other secondary school threads to see the number of parents anxious about WL places, especially in the state sector. Hopefully that might help you see things from a wider perspective.

MissRB · 05/03/2026 15:18

@Blinkofaneye2 I sense a lot of presumptions in your tone. Neither have I said anywhere in my posts that I am going to sit on the council offer or have I said I have accepted the indie offer.

If you were to read my previous post in this tread - my urgency is to make a decision before the 16th of March so that I could move on with life ( it was naughty parent, yourself who have been under all the impressions - far from what my situation is)

There is a system in the place in the private sector and the state sector for a reason. And I am sure they have created it that way after decades of experience. People relocate, places get assigned and reassigned...it's like musical chair until September.

I appreciate ( and I will make an assumption here... perhaps this one is right) you might have been burnt in the past and are taking this personally. And I sadly understand.

I posted the question so that I can make a decision before the 16th (read my early response to a parent) and move on...

It's really sad that just because you have a platform...you are on a moral high horse.

And by the way, you have contributed nothing of substance to this thread. Nor have you given any substantial feedback on the two schools.

Blinkofaneye2 · 05/03/2026 15:03

MissRB · 05/03/2026 14:43

@naughtyparent thank you for your valuable feedback

@Blinkofaneye2 yes I am aware. After all the hard work my daughetr has put in and since it's a well deserved offer, I think it is only fair to take the needed time to decide and not be rushed into it. And hence the hefty deposit that will be lost if decided otherwise. In an ideal world enough time should be given for consideration and not 24 hours.

I am aware of the wait list and the desperate parents who unfortunately count not make it to the first list . Their wait until the offer holders make the decision is unfortunate.

"Unfortunate" 🙄It's actually totally unavoidable.

All kids work hard for the 11+.

If you've ever read 11+ threads on here before, you'll know that keeping hold of two offers - esp grammar and indie - after the acceptance date is seen as pretty bad form.
You had three weeks after your NLCS offer to decide what you would do if she got HBS as well. And then two days to make a final decision. And you've had months to consider all the schools you're applying to. That's what all families going through the 11+ have to do every year.

MissRB · 05/03/2026 14:44

.

MissRB · 05/03/2026 14:43

@naughtyparent thank you for your valuable feedback

@Blinkofaneye2 yes I am aware. After all the hard work my daughetr has put in and since it's a well deserved offer, I think it is only fair to take the needed time to decide and not be rushed into it. And hence the hefty deposit that will be lost if decided otherwise. In an ideal world enough time should be given for consideration and not 24 hours.

I am aware of the wait list and the desperate parents who unfortunately count not make it to the first list . Their wait until the offer holders make the decision is unfortunate.

Blinkofaneye2 · 05/03/2026 14:24

MissRB · 05/03/2026 14:11

Yes, true. It's not much about the deadlines of various schools though - its more so about the decision as a family and the next step. One wouldn't want to prolong the decision until summer to plan. Got forbid until September start of term.

Anyhow, so do you have an opinion about either of the schools. My post was for purely that.😃

Hasn't the deadline for accepting NLCS passed? So are you keeping places at both schools at the moment? I'm guessing you're aware there will be WL families desperate for one of those spots?

NaughtyParent · 05/03/2026 14:21

I know several girls who have had the same choice in recent years, some of whom have gone each way. No one has complained about their choices... yet. NLCS offers a lot if you don't have to make too many tradeoffs to pay for it. HBS offers as good an environment for learning, with girls and parents who are no different from those at NLCS in discipline, ambition, and the value placed on education. For a state funded school, HBS seems to have a lot of clubs, many of which are run by sixth formers, just like NLCS. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

MissRB · 05/03/2026 14:11

Yes, true. It's not much about the deadlines of various schools though - its more so about the decision as a family and the next step. One wouldn't want to prolong the decision until summer to plan. Got forbid until September start of term.

Anyhow, so do you have an opinion about either of the schools. My post was for purely that.😃

NaughtyParent · 05/03/2026 14:05

@MissRB is there a real deadline for HBS? I'm under the impression that the council must assume that you accept their offer unless you actively decline, that merely not responding to their request for confirmation cannot cost you the place. And that this is part of the reason why some girls don't get places off the waiting list until mid-September.

MissRB · 05/03/2026 14:04

Oh no. We requested but they wouldn't. It's a little unfair as they leave not much time to consider after the National Offer Day.

NaughtyParent · 05/03/2026 13:52

@MissRB did NLCS extend their deadline to 16th March for you?

MissRB · 05/03/2026 13:43

16th March for HBS. It's a tricky situation when one weighs the facilities NLCS offers vs the bias the institutions are driven towards state sector to level the plain field

drdee · 05/03/2026 12:25

@MissRB congrats! when is the deadline?

OP posts: