Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

IB diploma funding cancelled for state school sixth forms - year 11 applicants

31 replies

Wonderbread77 · 11/10/2025 21:36

My son in year 11 was hoping to apply for a IB diploma state school for sixth form as first choice. But now it seems the government has made a sudden decision to cancel funding for the IB diploma for state schools starting for those entering sixth form next year.

The state schools impacted seem to be scrambling now on how they adjust for sixth form applications. School 1 has insisted this doesn’t impact their ability to offer the IB diploma and School 2 removed any uncertainty by announcing they will be moving to A levels instead of the IB diploma for year 11 applicants, Moving to A levels would be a big change for the school 2 and they have no track record for A levels. But I don’t understand how school 1 insists it’s moving ahead with IB next year would be able to sustain that without funding?

What should he do now? Try for the school 1? Revisit other schools with trusted experience of A levels? Or take a chance that the IB sixth form school 2 will transition fine to A levels? I think they will lose some good teachers to private IB schools.

https://observer.co.uk/news/national/article/labour-cuts-funding-for-state-school-ib-diplomas

Labour cuts funding for state school IB diplomas

Labour cuts funding for state school IB diplomas

The sudden decision may mean the IB program is only available in private schools

https://observer.co.uk/news/national/article/labour-cuts-funding-for-state-school-ib-diplomas

OP posts:
Lougle · 12/10/2025 12:54

It was 20%, but only if the student achieved 28 points which is the equivalent of Bs at A Level.

Wonderbread77 · 12/10/2025 08:17

That would be a big transition for any current IB school then. I think he will steer clear of it and stick to an A level sixth form. How disappointing.

OP posts:
Wonderbread77 · 12/10/2025 00:50

😊Thank you.

OP posts:
titchy · 11/10/2025 23:24

£2k according to the article you posted…..

Wonderbread77 · 11/10/2025 23:17

Thank you. Was the top up amount significant? I assume it would cost more for a school to support each student covering IB as it’s more subjects.

OP posts:
titchy · 11/10/2025 22:30

To be accurate, the Gov hasn’t withdrawn funding for schools that run IB - they’ve withdrawn the TOP UP funding the IB attracted. Schools can still offer IB if they want but they’ll get the standard rate of funding.

Swipe left for the next trending thread