Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Move to Highgate Wood School

31 replies

Magnificentkitteh · 16/09/2025 16:53

My dd1 has just started year 10. She's had her names on waiting lists for around a year as was getting increasingly frustrated with her current school/ high rates of absence, turnover and SEN support, and more recently an inability to accommodate her options choices for GCSE. However, after carefully considering the alternative options offered and after her current school managed to rejig things so she can do some options she's reasonably happy with, she decided to stay. I had basically thought we were past the point of no return. I understood the council had reset the waiting lists at the start of term and I hadn't reapplied.

However, they've just emailed me to offer a place at Highgate wood and I'm a bit torn. It's not my dream school, but it feels like it's in a better place than her current school, and is equally local. It's an important year for her and staying where she is has involved a bit of a leap of faith that they'll up their game for the GCSE years. On the other hand moving is an upheaval and another roll of the dice to move.

Her friends are in a similar boat and are considering jumping to a different ship but I don't yet know what they'll decide. She's recently admitted that some of her drive to move schools was about not wanting to be left behind and to steer her own ship. There have also been two recent tragedies at her school which have complicated things emotionally.

I haven't yet told DD about the offer and will obviously be guided by her but just trying to get my head round how to approach it with her. Is it a definite no to moving at this stage, or worth a serious chat with Highgate wood about options, sets etc before making a decision?

OP posts:
matchingmoll · 20/09/2025 22:19

This reply has been withdrawn

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

Magnificentkitteh · 20/09/2025 22:06

Most people who don't know her school I mean. It feels so sad as it had such a lot going for it but seems to be in a doom spiral.

OP posts:
Magnificentkitteh · 20/09/2025 22:05

Really? Interesting. Most people seem to counsel against a move at this stage though she had yet more slightly alarming stories from the end of the week. I might have a serious chat tomorrow. Highgate wood haven't contacted me yet so am in the dark about options etc

OP posts:
matchingmoll · 20/09/2025 21:29

If her current school is the one I think it might be and you have a chance to move her, I would.

Magnificentkitteh · 18/09/2025 19:31

Thanks, good point. I think that, or restricted options choices, would be deal breakers but I am not sure if it's worth talking to the school about possibilities or whether I should just apologise and withdraw. I had a chat with her about it and I think she would prefer to stay where she is. She admitted she's finding it hard to think clearly about it as it's been an awful week, but I think that probably itself points towards stability being better.

OP posts:
Trampoline · 18/09/2025 17:30

I don't know this school but one consideration is whether any GCSE content started in Y9 - if so, check if the exam boards are the same or if she'll be starting from scratch. That has been the biggest challenge friends with DC who have moved at this stage have found and it's tough for kids to play catch up on top of an already full schedule of learning.

Swipe left for the next trending thread