Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

School have revoked offer - not sure what to do next.

113 replies

Anxsi · 23/06/2025 11:03

I'd like some advice and guidance on school admissions and appeals please.

My child is due to start secondary school in September, but the school revoked their offer on the basis that we were not living at the address used in the application.

We had been looking to buy a property in a particular area and completed the purchase earlier this year. We kept the council informed, and once we completed the purchase, our child was placed at the top of the waiting list for this school.

However, we haven’t moved in yet because the house needed repairs, which are longer than we anticipated & it would have been difficult & unsafe to live in the property while the work was being done.

The school discovered that the house was vacant and called us to clarify the situation. I explained that the house required refurbishment and that we had not yet moved in.

The school then withdrew the offer on the basis that we were not currently living at the address. The school said our child would remain on the waiting list and would move up once we had moved into the property, but couldn't give any indication of when he might be admitted, as it would depend on a place being available.

The school has said that we have the right to appeal, but I’m unsure whether it would be worthwhile. I don’t want to damage our relationship with the school any further.

I’d really appreciate some advice on what we should do next. Please be kind - my DC no longer has a secondary school, and its very stressful.

OP posts:
Navigatinglife100 · 23/06/2025 13:53

Renovation is a red herring. That wasn't the question.

The question was where is the child living and it was somewhere else.

wonhisspurs · 23/06/2025 13:52

Anxsi · 23/06/2025 13:44

We are already paying council tax at our new home, but that isn't sufficent for the school. We need to be living there and it needs to be our home

This is really odd. How do they know? Someone must have reported you. Or has the council alerted them as you are paying council tax at two addresses?

Anyway, you'll need to ask the school what proof they will accept that you have moved in.

minipie · 23/06/2025 13:52

Anxsi · 23/06/2025 13:43

Thanks - that is what we are going to have to do. This is the school we want.
Wouldn't the school consider the circumstances behind why we didn't move in, and an explanation of reasons?

The school is legally required to follow its own admissions criteria. This means it has to go off where your child actually resides (assuming you were applying on distance and not on other criteria eg sibling/exceptional need etc). It is not allowed to be flexible on the application of the rules no matter how sympathetic it may feel.

Otherwise others who didn’t get in would quite rightly be aggrieved and could themselves appeal as the school would not have followed its own admissions criteria.

minipie · 23/06/2025 13:48

If you are registered with the council tax to be living there and are paying, then legally you do live there. Where you sleep won't impinge on that.

Not correct, the child needs to reside there, and OP may well need more than bills to prove that - especially in this situation ie where the OP said DC lived there when DC in fact didn’t.

Anxsi · 23/06/2025 13:44

SunDash · 23/06/2025 13:40

Can you not inform council tax you've moved in and pay from that date at your new address. Put up beds in your new address. Meet the school to get that decision revoked, if they are at all reasonable, and have your place secured for September. If you are registered with the council tax to be living there and are paying, then legally you do live there. Where you sleep won't impinge on that.

We are already paying council tax at our new home, but that isn't sufficent for the school. We need to be living there and it needs to be our home

OP posts:
Hoppinggreen · 23/06/2025 13:43

I am not suggestting you did anything deliberately wrong but you applied from an address you were not living in and it seems that you were offered a place based on living there so now its been withdrawn.
There is nothing to lose by applying but I doubt you have grounds

Anxsi · 23/06/2025 13:43

minipie · 23/06/2025 13:21

I don’t see any grounds to win an appeal here tbh. You are not living at the address applied from and never were. There has been no admissions error.

As I said above I would move in asap. Water can be turned back on. Is there a toilet and somewhere to wash? Can you rig up cooking facilities?

Every day that goes past there is potential for more places to be given off the waiting list ahead of you and after a certain point there will be no more movement on the WL. So even if you get to the head of WL in July after works finish, there may be no spaces that come up by then.

It depends on what your alternatives are I suppose but if this is the school you want, I would not risk waiting.

Thanks - that is what we are going to have to do. This is the school we want.
Wouldn't the school consider the circumstances behind why we didn't move in, and an explanation of reasons?

OP posts:
SunDash · 23/06/2025 13:40

Can you not inform council tax you've moved in and pay from that date at your new address. Put up beds in your new address. Meet the school to get that decision revoked, if they are at all reasonable, and have your place secured for September. If you are registered with the council tax to be living there and are paying, then legally you do live there. Where you sleep won't impinge on that.

Anxsi · 23/06/2025 13:28

Navigatinglife100 · 23/06/2025 12:51

Have you claimed any sort of council tax reduction for a home undergoing renovation or something?

No, nothing like that.

OP posts:
minipie · 23/06/2025 13:21

I don’t see any grounds to win an appeal here tbh. You are not living at the address applied from and never were. There has been no admissions error.

As I said above I would move in asap. Water can be turned back on. Is there a toilet and somewhere to wash? Can you rig up cooking facilities?

Every day that goes past there is potential for more places to be given off the waiting list ahead of you and after a certain point there will be no more movement on the WL. So even if you get to the head of WL in July after works finish, there may be no spaces that come up by then.

It depends on what your alternatives are I suppose but if this is the school you want, I would not risk waiting.

FancyBiscuitsLevel · 23/06/2025 13:12

Move in. Even if you have to put up a tent in the garden - move in. Get your DCs address changed at GP, dentist, bank etc. pay council tax as living there. Register to vote there. Move in this week.

PinkFrogss · 23/06/2025 12:56

Where are you living currently?

If you are still in your old house I can understand why it might look dodgy. If you are somewhere clearly temporary I’d think that should help your chances as it doesn’t suggest admissions fraud.

Navigatinglife100 · 23/06/2025 12:51

Have you claimed any sort of council tax reduction for a home undergoing renovation or something?

MummBRaaarrrTheEverLeaking · 23/06/2025 12:50

I'd just start taking over what I could, ASAP, even if it's just a couple of rooms. Spend whatever time you can in it and tell the school you're in now.

I wouldn't have thought they'd be going round everyone's house though, that's quite odd. Do you know anyone who didn't get a place while your DC did, and was aware of your house issues? I'd be getting a Ring doorbell and maybe a camera to see who's having a nosy!

babyproblems · 23/06/2025 12:45

This seems strange! How would they know?? What about children who are already at the school but then if you renovate and move out temporarily — it’s not really any different!!?
Id move in whatever that meant. You can always ‘move out’ again temporarily. Tell them - if they ask! - that there’s been an issue with the work and somethings being redone. I don’t think this is much of their business tbh; if you genuinely are going to live there and own the property I can’t see the problem.

PatriciaHolm · 23/06/2025 12:39

BloominNora · 23/06/2025 12:37

You have 20 school days to appeal - if the offer was revoked today and you will move in before 18th July, submit the appeal on the day you move on the basis you are now living there.

bear in mind that any appeal lodged now will almost certainly be heard in September unless you're very very lucky. So you can appeal, but also make sure your address is updated the moment you move in, to adjust your place on the waiting list.

BloominNora · 23/06/2025 12:37

Anxsi · 23/06/2025 11:59

@minipie - the works have slowed down because of delays. We had hoped to get everything completed by end of June but that won't happen - maybe 2nd week July

You have 20 school days to appeal - if the offer was revoked today and you will move in before 18th July, submit the appeal on the day you move on the basis you are now living there.

MumChp · 23/06/2025 12:36

Move in. Sorted.

tripleginandtonic · 23/06/2025 12:33

wonhisspurs · 23/06/2025 11:58

I would move in.

This. Why in earth wouldn't you, rather then mucking around with appeals and possibly losing a place. Very few houses are inhabitable, you don't tend to get mortgages on those.

Fupoffyagrasshole · 23/06/2025 12:29

just "move in" put a few things in - how are they going to prove it if you go off and sleep somewhere else every night! just pop by regularly and come out the door a few times

Yellowlab34 · 23/06/2025 12:20

You should definately appeal - you have nothing to lose, and you didn't intend to mislead the school about your address. You may not win the appeal, but nothing lost by trying.

Anxsi · 23/06/2025 12:18

party4you · 23/06/2025 12:10

Sorry but how did you not know work needed to be done? Surely you got a survey?

They survey flagged it up as a concern but the condition was worse when we completed.

OP posts:
party4you · 23/06/2025 12:10

Sorry but how did you not know work needed to be done? Surely you got a survey?

MamaBear8484 · 23/06/2025 12:06

I'm so sorry - what a nightmare situation! You've done everything right and been completely transparent. I came across this article that has some helpful information on appeals and what to do when you don't get your chosen school: https://www.twinkl.co.uk/news/when-do-parents-find-out-about-secondary-school-places-and-what-to-do-if-you-dont-get-the-school-you-want
I hope it helps and good luck! 💕

https://www.twinkl.co.uk/news/when-do-parents-find-out-about-secondary-school-places-and-what-to-do-if-you-dont-get-the-school-you-want

Anxsi · 23/06/2025 12:00

wonhisspurs · 23/06/2025 11:58

I would move in.

That is what I was thinking but we have nothing - most days the water is switched off

OP posts:
Swipe left for the next trending thread