Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Oldest child given opportunity to go to private school, won't be able to finance younger kids

70 replies

HeatherMac007 · 06/05/2025 13:53

Hi all,

My eldest DS is "from a previous relationship". I married my now husband when he was 3 and went on to have 3 further DC with him. Now my ex-partner (his bio dad) has been a great parent and we all get along rather well, DS sees both men as his dads, my ex spends Christmas with us etc. The thing is he is wealthier than we are as he has a great job, inherited and only has one child (my DS) so has offered to send him to a private secondary that DS choses (either day or weekly boarding). This is an amazing opportunity for him and one which he would absolute thrive in both personality and ability wise.
The thing holding me back is that despite a decent income, my husband and I would not be able to do the same for the other three given how things are nowadays. Just not feasible and we're ok with that. Were a close knit family and I think my younger kids would understand that DS1 dad was just able to do this nice thing, and wouldn't begrudge him. I don't want to be the one holding him back. We're in Scotland if that makes a difference, in an area where private schooling is probably quite unusual.

What do you all think? I'm particularly keen to hear any similar situ's. Thanks

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page
Mrsredlipstick · 06/05/2025 18:57

Both my children went to private prep only our DD went to boarding school for 18 months. Our DD won a scholarship and accepted, our DS turned his down. DS is in London and our daughter at a famous University. Both did well. Our son didn't resent his sister going to her secondary school.

Flyhigher · 06/05/2025 18:55

I’d send him.

MeetMyCat · 06/05/2025 18:55

SamPoodle123 · 06/05/2025 13:58

I would allow your oldest dc to go private if that is what he wants. The other children would understand surely that he has a different father, so this is the reason. I would not hold back this opportunity just because your current dh could not afford to send your other 3 dc private.

This - definitely

HeatherMac007 · 06/05/2025 18:55

LongLiveTheLego · 06/05/2025 18:51

his dad would still need to pay maintenance, that’s not how it works.

Well I'd expect to keep some maintenance if he day schools but if it were boarding school I wouldn't. We don't have a formal arrangement, have always worked it out ourselves, it's always worked.

OP posts:
ThatsNotMyTeen · 06/05/2025 18:54

Difficult one. My original thought was “no” but then his dad also has a say in his education presumably….i think the fact it’s his dad paying makes it ok, as opposed to if if was eg your parents singling one child out

LongLiveTheLego · 06/05/2025 18:51

his dad would still need to pay maintenance, that’s not how it works.

Notmydaughteryoubitch · 06/05/2025 18:50

My friends had similar situation - he had his DD live with him full time and also his step son from new marriage. His DD's mother was not on the scene, her parents wanted to fund private education for her (to, in their eyes, make up for how monumentally shit her mum was) - our friends could never had funded private school but it has not caused any real issues between the two kids

IchiNiSanShiGo · 06/05/2025 18:49

HeatherMac007 · 06/05/2025 14:19

Like a lot of my self doubt its my mother's voice in my head ha! She likes to make problems where there are none sometimes

Sorry, no advice OP, but my GOD, I feel this in my bones 😬

HeatherMac007 · 06/05/2025 18:48

Nonametonight · 06/05/2025 18:42

For his sake, I'd be careful about boarding. He's already a bit out of the family, being the only child from the previous relationship. And if he's away all week at school he might feel a bit left out

Definitely an important consideration for sure. But knowing his personality he'd love being away. He'd have the full hogwarts experience ... Well minus the continual mortal danger of course lol!

OP posts:
HeatherMac007 · 06/05/2025 18:45

EachandEveryone · 06/05/2025 18:44

My nephews and niece are at St Aloysius and absolutely love it. No snobbery from them or the school in general.

That's good to know thanks, we're going to visit next week!

OP posts:
EachandEveryone · 06/05/2025 18:44

HeatherMac007 · 06/05/2025 14:33

I wish, I love Edinburgh and lived there in my pre kid days! No we're in N.Ayrshire, it's quite deprived and there isn't even a private school in the whole LA. If we went down the day school route he'd have to train it to Glasgow to attend (ideally st Aloysius as I'm a participating catholic). Obviously if he wanted to weekly board there's loads more options to chose from.

That's a good way to look at it for the younger DC tho, thanks.

Edited

My nephews and niece are at St Aloysius and absolutely love it. No snobbery from them or the school in general.

Nonametonight · 06/05/2025 18:42

For his sake, I'd be careful about boarding. He's already a bit out of the family, being the only child from the previous relationship. And if he's away all week at school he might feel a bit left out

2024onwardsandup · 06/05/2025 18:41

my brother paid a fortune because the youngest wanted to go to a private school. The other two hadn’t. I forgot about that as well as this vastly different uni fees. The others didn’t care at all and if anything were happy that the youngest was getting to go to their dream school

i think part of that comes from them knowing that my brother would do all he could to give them their dream thing if they wanted something

as said - it’s gonna be clear here that it’s because of his dad - and not you.

HeatherMac007 · 06/05/2025 18:37

maximalistmaximus · 06/05/2025 18:18

If it got nasty your ex could take you to court to assert his PRR regarding school choice.

Im 99% the court would side with him.

Denying him this then there’s a high chance <<he will resent you for the rest of his life.

I am pretty sure I will agree (I'm just looking for reassurance that it won't drive him and siblings apart from here) but even on chance we decided against it wouldn't come to court. My ex is happy to defer to me on parenting and this was an offer not a command. He lives and works abroad so I'm the primary household by a landslide. He's very happy with the job my husband and I have done raising him!
Plus if he was to day school, I'd be the one dealing with organising and facilitating the long commute as ex will still be living abroad. If he needed to board, I doubt any modern court would order that when he's already thriving where is?! That would be bizarre no?
Right now DS is saying he's happy either way and sees pros and cons to both options. He wants to go visit a few to help swing his opinion, which we're currently organising.

OP posts:
thrive25 · 06/05/2025 18:30

maximalistmaximus · 06/05/2025 18:18

If it got nasty your ex could take you to court to assert his PRR regarding school choice.

Im 99% the court would side with him.

Denying him this then there’s a high chance <<he will resent you for the rest of his life.

^ agree as above

also agree it could potentially benefit the other children in the long run re opportunities/aspirations

as you accept, your oldest has some disadvantages (not living with both his parents), only fair he should have whatever advantages are open to him too

EineReiseDurchDieZeit · 06/05/2025 18:19

I’m a firm believer in treating every child as an individual when it comes to their education, your DS should not suffer because his half siblings won’t get the same chance. Why would you willingly prevent his opportunities?

maximalistmaximus · 06/05/2025 18:18

If it got nasty your ex could take you to court to assert his PRR regarding school choice.

Im 99% the court would side with him.

Denying him this then there’s a high chance <<he will resent you for the rest of his life.

Moveoverdarlin · 06/05/2025 18:16

Yeah I’d let him. His Dad probably feels it might be his way of making it up to him for leaving him when he was so young. If there is a bit of an age gap between him and your other children it also works in your favour. It’s not like sending one 11 year old to a great school and the 12 year old to the run down local comp.

Supersimkin7 · 06/05/2025 18:15

I’d look to see if there’s a school that suits DS.

Blended families need to learn to negotiate children born into different opportunities living under the same roof. Swings and roundabouts, innit.

ilovemydogandmrobama2 · 06/05/2025 18:14

Slightly different situation, but DD1 was offered and accepted a bursary and scholarship to a private all girls school.

It did mean that although we did have a bit to pay (not very much) the school trips were completely out of the question, and she understood this.

However to redress the imbalance, we told the other younger siblings who were at state schools that they could go on any of the school trips. Unfortunately it ended up being Iceland for DS which was insanely expensive, and DD2 just got back from a ski trip to Italy.

But for the most part, it seemed like a good compromise, as it wasn't entirely about the money, but what would be fair.

NeverDropYourMooncup · 06/05/2025 18:14

It wouldn't be fair to prevent him from taking this opportunity because you've had more children with somebody else. It's his Dad's right to have a say about his education - and not only is he prepared to put his money where his mouth is, he's deferred to you to make the final decision. He's also, for all his loveliness and the great family life you've built for everybody, had to adapt to massive changes where he is not the sole focus.

Let him take it.

HeatherMac007 · 06/05/2025 18:11

Nevermindkitten · 06/05/2025 18:05

It sounds like a really difficult situation and your ex I assume also gets a say in it too.

However, in your circumstances, if the schools are OK to the extent you are happy for your younger children to go, then I would do everything you can to support the local schools and send all your children to them. Also enhance your child's education with extracurricular and tutors where you think helpful, as you have already described you do/would. This would by my preference in your circumstances for several reasons:
*the dilema you have described where one child had opportunities his siblings do not.
*the distance away from schools. I wouldn't want a 11/12/13 year old travelling so far to school or having to week board. I think being close to family and friends with a shorter commute has huge benefits.
*benefits from being educated in an more socially diverse environment, especially if your DC is bright and you are going to ensure he has a range of opportunities for activities and tutoring to stretch him anyway.

If it were not working out, you would then still have the option to send him in a few years time, when he might manage the commute better.

Edited

Fab, thanks for this insight. I have said to ex that waiting till S2 or even when they start preparing for exams in S3 might be a better plan. As it would allow him to make more local friends here from the secondary as he would need friends for evenings and weekends. Also as you said it would keep the longer commute to when he was older and could use it for exam studying (would be via a direct train). That's been my instinct. We'd prob best still start considering it now for an S2 start to ensure a place.

OP posts:
HeatherMac007 · 06/05/2025 18:06

PurpleThistle7 · 06/05/2025 18:04

Would your ex be up for paying for university instead? Sounds like your son is thriving and might do well anywhere - and avoiding boarding would be a priority for me. That’s the part that would make me pause longer than the invented inequity between half siblings.

(I’m in Scotland too and my kids are s1 and p4 and I don’t think there will be free university for either of them looking at the state of the university where I work)

Think he'd pay for uni as well as tbh, he can afford it, as DS is his only child.

OP posts:
Nevermindkitten · 06/05/2025 18:05

It sounds like a really difficult situation and your ex I assume also gets a say in it too.

However, in your circumstances, if the schools are OK to the extent you are happy for your younger children to go, then I would do everything you can to support the local schools and send all your children to them. Also enhance your child's education with extracurricular and tutors where you think helpful, as you have already described you do/would. This would by my preference in your circumstances for several reasons:
*the dilema you have described where one child had opportunities his siblings do not.
*the distance away from schools. I wouldn't want a 11/12/13 year old travelling so far to school or having to week board. I think being close to family and friends with a shorter commute has huge benefits.
*benefits from being educated in an more socially diverse environment, especially if your DC is bright and you are going to ensure he has a range of opportunities for activities and tutoring to stretch him anyway.

If it were not working out, you would then still have the option to send him in a few years time, when he might manage the commute better.

PurpleThistle7 · 06/05/2025 18:04

Would your ex be up for paying for university instead? Sounds like your son is thriving and might do well anywhere - and avoiding boarding would be a priority for me. That’s the part that would make me pause longer than the invented inequity between half siblings.

(I’m in Scotland too and my kids are s1 and p4 and I don’t think there will be free university for either of them looking at the state of the university where I work)