Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

To move school mid Y7 when she is doing great?

110 replies

SimonBolivar · 04/03/2024 18:26

Hello
my daughter has settled really well in a local comp. She was selected for the scholars program and may or may not be gifted but is super bright and interested, studious. I a not super keen on assessments and so I’m just happy she’s getting on very well socially and academically. She loves languages and unprompted her favourite new subject is German.

the challenge: there is a very unique school in our area (Europa if anyone knows) - it teaches primary bilingual so half the week is English and half the week is either french, German or Spanish.
for secondary they continue with the bilingual focus. Teaching history georgrsphy and literature in french. They do not do A levels (or even gcse) but prepare for the IB. they have good results. It’s a free government funded school. Yes - unique.

i am french and my husband English. My kids have had a standard U.K. education so far except for the few short years abroad where my daughter did the equivalent of Y1 at a french international school. She is fully bilingual

we have received an offer out of the blue for her to join after Easter

i don’t use mumsnet a lot but it’s here I have come across the expression “don’t move a happy child”

the advantages for her and my family are as follows:
if she takes the place her sister and brother woul be given priority automatically. This means my youngest could start reception next year in bilingual environment, and my middle child could join either in Y5 or Y7 depending what we decide.

it would be an amazing boost to their french. They speak it but without peers/ teaching etc, it’s made it really hard on me to be the sole provider of french and I revert to English often, as they know I understand everything: what’s the point of speaking to me in french, when it’s harder for them to do so: not a virtuous cycle!

she would work towards the IB in a demanding environment which I believe would suit her

BUT no school is perfect and like all others they have their own issues. The long term sustainability of the European project behind it… will it survive? A question for sure.

and more transport and therefore longer hours (not necessarily an issue, for my husband and I that means longer working days.. but not ideal for the reception child)

as you can imagine, very conflicted. There is no amount of tuition I believe would give them the experience of developing daily sustained friendships in the language….

i am aware of her being a strategic placement for the rest of my family to then join the school…

what would you think and ask yourself?

not looking for do this or that but rather : consider this or ask that.

thank you

OP posts:
SimonBolivar · 04/03/2024 22:00

TwylaSands · 04/03/2024 18:48

Id leave her but certainly try to get your other two there

Sadly May never be a possibility again

OP posts:
SimonBolivar · 04/03/2024 22:00

newmum1976 · 04/03/2024 18:50

I’d be letting my daughter decide. I’d also be looking at the results in more detail. Are the IB results impressive? Do they offer subjects that my daughter has an interest in? Where do people go to Uni? Funding looks issue? What happens if the school folds?

I’m not sure about letting an 11 year old decide. They are mostly focused on the short term and friendships. (At least mine is)

Of course it’s always harder to move to a new environment, no one ever finds a first day easy. I see it as our role to educate her about the choice as best as possible and show her how this choice can extend in the future and take her concerns into account, but ultimately parental responsibility needs to kick in.

thank you for all the questions- I will add to my list!

OP posts:
SimonBolivar · 04/03/2024 21:53

Camdenish · 04/03/2024 20:11

I could say more, but it might not be politic to do so. And I think you’ve answered your own question. Never move a happy child.

Well I’ve done that a few times and it’s worked great. We have moved countries and she has adapted well every time.

edicts like “never move a happy child” I am sure have their use and their limits. I just don’t like the word never :-)

i don’t mind politics at all, I am very open and want to hear all perspectives and views, so we can make the best decision

OP posts:
SimonBolivar · 04/03/2024 21:50

Yes we are visiting the school (again).

Prior to defaulting to the comp, and we’d seen the indépendant schools, Europa, and the comprehensive. She was equally excited to join all of them. Europa was not an option and we would have chosen it at the time if we had been given a place.

OP posts:
Camdenish · 04/03/2024 20:11

I could say more, but it might not be politic to do so. And I think you’ve answered your own question. Never move a happy child.

newmum1976 · 04/03/2024 18:50

I’d be letting my daughter decide. I’d also be looking at the results in more detail. Are the IB results impressive? Do they offer subjects that my daughter has an interest in? Where do people go to Uni? Funding looks issue? What happens if the school folds?

TwylaSands · 04/03/2024 18:48

Id leave her but certainly try to get your other two there

Somanyquestionstoaskaboutthis · 04/03/2024 18:45

What does she want to do? Hard to answer without knowing what she wants

Bluepetergarden · 04/03/2024 18:41

She’s happy, leave her

Validus · 04/03/2024 18:36

Europa is good but there is a cost to moving a child. The time and effort to adjust and make new friends etc is shown to cause a learning loss/delay in progress.

Yes it would be beneficial for the siblings - but at what cost to her? She has friends, she’s in the scholars program, she likes where she is. She needs to have her needs as priority, not her siblings needs.

If she goes there, will she have any local friends?

What does she want? Could you arrange a school visit so she can make her own choice?

Is there a reason the IB would be better for her than GCSEs and A levels?

Could you offer her other opportunities to use her language? We send ours to summer camp for this purpose.