Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Daughter not happy with choice

56 replies

mumoftwogirls2017 · 01/03/2024 08:47

We got offered the 2nd choice. I know the 2nd school is closer to us so I think that’s why. But she was crying her eyes out she wanted to go to the other one.
im not sure whether to appeal or not. It looks like they require a lot of information.
Im going to let her think about it. She gone to school so once talking to her friends she may change her mind.
I personally had reasons why I didn’t want 2nd choice but at the end day I guess it’s for her.
it’s so hard being a parent! 😒

OP posts:
Wode · 01/03/2024 10:36

She might feel better once she knows who else is going to school B and they all plan to walk up together etc. Nothing to stop you going on the waiting list for school A and even appealing.

TeenLifeMum · 01/03/2024 10:26

I think you need to accept but then go on the wait list for the other school.

mumoftwogirls2017 · 01/03/2024 10:05

I’ll speak to her later. She may feel differently when she had a chat with her friends.
I know why that school was chosen and had a feeling it would be that one. I think even if we appealed we would be rejected. The 1st choice was further across down. I would have to drive her there and collect. With the 2nd choice she can walk when she feels comfortable. It will also make the transition easier as the primary school is connected with the secondary.

OP posts:
prh47bridge · 01/03/2024 09:22

@Educated is correct.

You won't lose anything by appealing for your first choice. If you can show that your daughter will be disadvantaged if she isn't admitted, you can give it a go. If you lose, you will be in exactly the same position as you are today. If you win, your daughter will get a place.

EduCated · 01/03/2024 09:08

You’ll have been offered School 2 because you didn’t qualify highly enough for School 1. No human has looked at it and gone ‘ah they live closer to 2, let’s give them that one’.

I know it’s silly, but reassure her that School 1 haven’t ‘turned her down’ and it’s not because they don’t like her/don’t want her. It’s purely a numbers thing - there are more children who live closer than she does (assuming it’s done on distance). Kids often don’t understand that bit.

zaxxon · 01/03/2024 08:53

Are you on the waitlist for your first school? You need to accept the choice they've given you (so as to avoid being taken off the system completely) but make sure the first school knows you are still interested.

Appeals depend on specific criteria: you would need to show either that the LA has made a mistake, or that the disadvantage for your DD of NOT going to her first choice outweighs the disadvantage to the school of taking on an extra student.

There is a lot more info on MN, look for posts by someone with a name like @prh47bridge (not sure if I got that right, sorry)