Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Mistake by Local Authority in allocation for SEN High School... help needed.

57 replies

ThisMustBeMyDream · 23/02/2024 16:06

My child has an EHCP. The annual review was completed in September with local sen high school A as parental preference named.
End of January I recieved the EHCP draft copy which named sen high school B. I immediately contacted the local authority to enquire as to the reasons for offering school B. It has taken until this week to get the answer.
The answer was that the parental preference school had been listed as school B. They knew this was an error, as they could see from the EHCP review that school A was named as parental preference.
As a result my child has not had a fair consideration for this school and is disadvantaged as a result. School B is wholly unsuitable (I visited, it was awful, current school senco agrees unsuitable, as does the LA person who attended the review and apoke to me a couple of weeks ago after the news of the placement arrived). The local authority manager who spoke to me to explain the above has told me she is attending a meeting at school A next week where she will explain the situation and ask them to go over numbers to admit him.

Is this good enough? What should I be expecting them to do to fix their mistake? I'm not sure if there is anything I can do beyond taking it to appeal - which in itself is highly unfair as it was someone else's error who has caused this. I'm so bloody angry right now, it's hard to think straight. I'd appreciate if anyone has any advice, I know it's probably quite niche from the usual high school appeal questions.

OP posts:
SearchingForSolitude · 24/02/2024 09:58

DyslexicPoster · 24/02/2024 09:12

SEN appeal listings are still taking a year to be heard. You have to phone sendist as soon as you got a date to get it moved sooner urgently.

Right now I'd try to avoid appeal due to the delays. But do it anyway as a back up. Go to your case officers bosses boss or the area manager to make sure it really is being looked at. My LA lies, a lot.

An appeal by the OP won’t take a year to be heard. It is a phase transfer appeal and therefore can be expedited.

If the finalised EHCP doesn’t name school A, the best route is to appeal, although if it is a genuine mistake, it may not actually make it to a hearing before the LA concedes. If OP doesn’t submit an appeal and relies on the LA correcting their mistake (which may not actually be a mistake), what may happen is the LA doesn’t amend, by this point the appeal window has passed, SENDIST may or may not allow leave to appeal out of time and even if they do, there is an even greater time pressure before September.

DyslexicPoster · 24/02/2024 09:12

SearchingForSolitude · 23/02/2024 18:20

Do you have a finalised EHCP? You should have. Secondary phase transfer EHCPs must be finalised by 15th Feb. If you do, appeal.

I recieved the EHCP draft copy which named sen high school B.

The draft should not have named a placement or type.

This may not be ‘a mistake’. It may be intentional and a mistake is the excuse.

SEN appeal listings are still taking a year to be heard. You have to phone sendist as soon as you got a date to get it moved sooner urgently.

Right now I'd try to avoid appeal due to the delays. But do it anyway as a back up. Go to your case officers bosses boss or the area manager to make sure it really is being looked at. My LA lies, a lot.

prh47bridge · 24/02/2024 09:06

As @SearchingForSolitude says, the draft EHCP must not name a school or type of school - Children and Families Act 2014 Section 38(5). The LA has acted unlawfully by naming school B on the draft.

The LA must comply with your choice of school A unless it is unsuitable for your child's age, aptitude or SEN, or they can show that sending them to school A is incompatible with the provision of efficient education for others or the efficient use of resources.

At this stage, you simply need to make sure that Wigan get it right in the finalised EHCP. If they refuse to name school A, your only route is to take it to SENDIST. The normal appeals process doesn't deal with this kind of issue. However, I doubt it will get that far. You have alerted Wigan to their mistake. I expect the finalised EHCP will be correct.

ThisMustBeMyDream · 24/02/2024 01:01

I already completed the accompanying paperwork that basically had option a and option b to agree or disagree. I obviously said I disagreed and ticked the option to call a meeting to discuss.

OP posts:
FloofyBird · 24/02/2024 00:53

If the plan is only draft then they can't name a school. Take it out and name the one you want before returning it.

Luckypoppy · 24/02/2024 00:40

Good luck. 🤞

ThisMustBeMyDream · 24/02/2024 00:38

Yes, I told the LA manager I spoke to that out of Borough would be what I'd be going for if they didn't admit to Oakfield - the Witherslack group schools specifically. However the issue with that is the travel - my ds will barely cope with the additional travel for Oakfield. We won't be able to use transport so will be doing personal budget with me doing morning drop offs, but taxi to childminder or home depending which days. That will have him away from 7.45am, until potentially 4pm depending on traffic. He needs a lot of down time. So I really need to fight for Oakfield. I haven't told.him he hasn't got in there as it would be too much for him to handle. His heart is set on it. He was desperate to go to mainstream with his peers, that was until he went to Oakfield and saw how wonderful it was. He went in with a closed mind, but he knew straight away (as did I!) that it was the right option for him.

OP posts:
ThisMustBeMyDream · 24/02/2024 00:33

I did ring Oakfield 3 weeks ago, and haven't had my call returned - the head of yr7 was supposed to call back - I explained the reason for my call. I'm going to go in on Monday as I feel in person can't be ignored the same way. It's our half term this week, so I've had to hang fire. Luckily I'm off work at the start of next week so I'll have time to do that.

OP posts:
Luckypoppy · 24/02/2024 00:32

Most of next year's year 7s are already over allocation at this point in the year.

Luckypoppy · 24/02/2024 00:32

Also depending where you live look out of authority or private... Westlancs Community High, Rumworth, Pontville, Wargrave etc and suggest they fund the out of authority options instead.

Luckypoppy · 24/02/2024 00:29

Oh jeez! Deffo fight for Oakfield!! Wigan SEND is a bloody shambles! Keep on at them and remind them of their legal obligation when they've messed up. I'd also be contacting Oakfield and explaining the situation. I work in a neighbouring authority and have family in special so I know what you're facing.

ThisMustBeMyDream · 24/02/2024 00:25

Oakfield. He is "high" functioning asd and adhd. He's been allocated Newbridge. They lock the doors with the kids in the classrooms. And they lock them when the teacher is in there alone too - I saw this when I went to visit after it had been named. My child takes his Teddy to school for goodness sake. He needs nurture, Newbridge was like a prison. Not a sensory room in sight. No sensory items in classrooms etc. I'm sure for some children it is absolutely the best thing. But all professionals agreed he fits Oakfield.
I'd really appreciate all the advice I can get right now! He is in mainstream primary, but not coping. So specialist provision was the only suitable option. He'd been eaten alive at mainstream.

OP posts:
Luckypoppy · 24/02/2024 00:15

Do you want Oakfield or Hope? I have good knowledge of both if that'll help?

ThisMustBeMyDream · 23/02/2024 23:55

Takeachance18 · 23/02/2024 20:52

There are several things to consider, first is it is preference not choice. Assume both are not independent. Which is closest and by how much, if A is a few miles further away, may be over the reasonable cost difference test. A should have been consulted and there are only a few legal reasons not to name preference, but just saying preference hasn't been named, may not be sufficient at tribunal. You need to be clear on specifics (have you evidence B can't meet need?)

No, both are local authority.
Their offer is 1.7m closer.
It isn't the fact (currently) that preference wasn't offered. Preference wasn't ever considered because they either lied or made a mistake and told the panel parental preference was school B. When it never ever was.

OP posts:
SearchingForSolitude · 23/02/2024 21:12

A few miles further is highly unlikely to meet the incompatible with the efficient use of resources threshold.

Takeachance18 · 23/02/2024 20:52

There are several things to consider, first is it is preference not choice. Assume both are not independent. Which is closest and by how much, if A is a few miles further away, may be over the reasonable cost difference test. A should have been consulted and there are only a few legal reasons not to name preference, but just saying preference hasn't been named, may not be sufficient at tribunal. You need to be clear on specifics (have you evidence B can't meet need?)

Has2sons · 23/02/2024 19:06

ThisMustBeMyDream · 23/02/2024 18:56

No one from school b came out either (at which point, had they... their error would have been picked up by myself and school). I didn't even know this was a thing. I was just told that his case would be heard at the panel and the decision made by the local headteachers for the sen schools. It was not even suggested someone would come to see him.

I can't lodge an appeal yet as I haven't recieved the final draft.

I guess the point of my post is asking whether I should even need to go to appeal as it is their error. Is the onus not on them to correct it? It is my time and money that will lose out having to fight something that I've no idea how to fight. I've got his dla renewal this year, as well as blue badge. I'm so bloody stressed with it all whilst trying to keep a sodding career going. Although stressed is downplaying it massively 😖.

Visits aren’t always part of the admissions process for consultation, depends on the school/college’s procedure or policy. Some decide only on the info in the EHCP. Do not worry about the lack of visit.

You have a lot on! Hopefully this meeting between the LA and School A will trigger the consultation process. The school have 15 calendar days to respond to LA who will then have a panel meeting, the outcome of which you should hear about.

SearchingForSolitude · 23/02/2024 19:02

Not all schools visit the primary setting, don’t worry about that.

Right now, focus on getting the EHCP finalised then appealing. Yes, you need to appeal. Don’t rely on the LA correcting their ‘mistake’. They may not. It may not actually be a mistake.

ThisMustBeMyDream · 23/02/2024 18:56

No one from school b came out either (at which point, had they... their error would have been picked up by myself and school). I didn't even know this was a thing. I was just told that his case would be heard at the panel and the decision made by the local headteachers for the sen schools. It was not even suggested someone would come to see him.

I can't lodge an appeal yet as I haven't recieved the final draft.

I guess the point of my post is asking whether I should even need to go to appeal as it is their error. Is the onus not on them to correct it? It is my time and money that will lose out having to fight something that I've no idea how to fight. I've got his dla renewal this year, as well as blue badge. I'm so bloody stressed with it all whilst trying to keep a sodding career going. Although stressed is downplaying it massively 😖.

OP posts:
SearchingForSolitude · 23/02/2024 18:55

I've seen schools named on drafts.

LAs often act unlawfully. Legally though drafts must not name a placement or type of placement.

Unless the school is wholly independent, even if the school objects the LA must name your preference unless the LA can prove:
-The setting is unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or special educational needs (“SEN”) of the child or young person; or
-The attendance of the child or young person would be incompatible with the provision of efficient education for others; or
-The attendance of the child or young person would be incompatible with the efficient use of resources.
Sadly many LAs refuse and force parents to appeal anyway.

Has2sons · 23/02/2024 18:50

ThisMustBeMyDream · 23/02/2024 18:27

No one from the special schools have been out to see my child.

Sorry to hear this. Transitions are stressful enough for both parent and DC without a situation like you have. This link may help https://www.ipsea.org.uk/moving-to-a-new-phase-of-education-with-an-ehc-plan

Either SEN Code of Practice or Children and Famiies Act (can’t remember,sorry!) state that School A ought to have been consulted as to whether they could meet DC needs and offer a placement. They will not have visited your DC as they have not received the consultation.

Moving to a new phase of education with an EHC Plan

When children and young people move between phases of education parents, carers or young people often have to think about what school or college should be named in the EHC plan. There should always be an annual review of the EHC plan before a transfer...

https://www.ipsea.org.uk/moving-to-a-new-phase-of-education-with-an-ehc-plan

FloofyBird · 23/02/2024 18:47

Just lodge an appeal. If they sort it out great, if not, you've got it up and running.

Notgoodatpoetrybutgreatatlit · 23/02/2024 18:38

I've seen schools named on drafts. Also seen mainstream named. I realise local authorities have a huge problem with SEND provision but even so poor behaviour doesn't help.
In your case OP you will need to be like that Roman Emperor who approached every problem with an open mouth to be heard across the wastes of Empire.
And I get what you mean about the rage. Its unique to dealing with local authorities sen departments.

SearchingForSolitude · 23/02/2024 18:30

You need to email the Director of Children’s Services reminding them they are in breach of their statutory duty. If that doesn’t work email saying if they don’t finalise ASAP you will be forced to pursue judicial review proceedings. This is vital because if you need to appeal you need all the time you can get.

Although some LAs try to tell parents they have to, you didn’t need to complete the normal admissions form, another preference form, name more than one preferred setting or also name a MS school in addition to a SS.

Drafts must not name a placement. Another way LAs like to act unlawfully.

@Soontobe60 parents of DC with EHCPs should know what school has been named. There shouldn’t be anything unofficial about it at this stage.

hiredandsqueak · 23/02/2024 18:30

There shouldn't be a school named on the draft. You shouldn't have had to fill in the usual secondary transfer form. I would imagine it's most likely deliberate and you will have to appeal. Tell them to issue the final and register the appeal because you don't have time to waste.

Swipe left for the next trending thread