Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

SW London grammar and private year 7 entry 2024 - Continued

790 replies

11plus24 · 09/02/2024 09:07

New thread continued here

OP posts:
Annawintourssteak · 18/02/2024 21:42

I think the distance is a factor to take seriously! It’s 10 journeys a week for at least 5 years and I think (for my DC anyway), getting up that 30 mins earlier every day would be a struggle.

@QuiteAJourney we’re def only going to the 2 shortlisted offer days. Let’s hope it doesn’t confuse her more, as we’re all pretty set on Emanuel. Just think it’s healthy to have a point of comparison.

Good to see the cohort though. That may sway things.

farfallarocks · 18/02/2024 20:30

We have a similar dilemma between 2 schools with dd having a very strong preference for one and also has a scholarship there. It feels like the right school for her on every level. Of course the complicating factor is it’s the most difficult logistically with 40 mins on a school bus or 30 min on a train ( walk either side). Not sure what to do! Heart or head?

minipie · 18/02/2024 18:50

I know what you mean Annawintour about the further visits confusing things.

We are choosing between two schools and definitely intend to go to the offer holder days. However one of the offer holder days has activities for the kids whereas the other (Emanuel, also our favourite!) is a “talk and tour”.

I’m worried DD will end up much preferring the one that lays on activities (who wouldn’t?). I’ve explained that she shouldn’t judge on that basis but it will still form an impression I expect. Gaah.

QuiteAJourney · 18/02/2024 18:21

Annawintourssteak · 18/02/2024 17:31

We have 4 offers - KGS, Ibstock Place, Emanuel and Harrodian. Emanuel is our favourite, but I think DC should go to a couple of offer holder days to make sure she’s certain she’s made the right choice. Have ruled out KGS for distance and Harrodian as it was our last choice, so she will visit Emanuel and Ibstock Place and decide from there. Worried by visiting it may confuse the situation. Any views on any of the schools above would be most welcome! Thank you.

Congrulations to your DD for the offers!

We had offers from those 4 last year so did consider them in detail (though opted for a different one).

We really liked KGS and it made it our top 2 but the distance seems a factor for you (though not sure how far away it is for you and how it compares with the others). Is it a definite no or a 'would prefer not to'? If the former, do not go to the offer holders event ... if the later, I would advise you to go and see if what you like is enough to compensate for the logistics.

Harrodian can be a bit marmite and it seems that it is your least preferred option. If you are sure of that, do not attend the offer holders' event.

I would definitely advise you to attend the offer holders' event for both Emanuel and Ibstock. We did last year and it furthered our view that, between the 2, Emanuel would have been a better fit for our DD (both academically and socially) and for us as a family. Beyond that, the offer holders' events really give the opportunity to ask more focused questions about the school, its curriculum and the school life and also get a feeling for the cohort of DCs and parents. The events have a very different vibe to the open days and the families (and DCs) are much more in the driving seat! And if you accept without attending, you might then regret and start thinking ... if only!

Annawintourssteak · 18/02/2024 17:31

We have 4 offers - KGS, Ibstock Place, Emanuel and Harrodian. Emanuel is our favourite, but I think DC should go to a couple of offer holder days to make sure she’s certain she’s made the right choice. Have ruled out KGS for distance and Harrodian as it was our last choice, so she will visit Emanuel and Ibstock Place and decide from there. Worried by visiting it may confuse the situation. Any views on any of the schools above would be most welcome! Thank you.

lolo99 · 16/02/2024 20:24

Is anyone joining Hampton in 2024 (year 7) My DS is so happy. Any current parents also that can add to our excitement?

QuiteAJourney · 16/02/2024 18:55

SW11Daddy · 16/02/2024 18:46

We have offers and we've narrowed it down to WHS and JAG's. Any recommendations, pro's and con's?

Very happy to answer questions re: WHS. Our DD joined last September (Y7). She (and us) are very happy with the choice.
Feel free to DM me if you prefer.

SW11Daddy · 16/02/2024 18:46

We have offers and we've narrowed it down to WHS and JAG's. Any recommendations, pro's and con's?

Shivvyshiv · 16/02/2024 15:11

Thank you! My offers didn’t mention this. Albeit, we accepted ours however have someone who is unsure for understandable reasons. It’s a hard decision!

Iffiyas · 16/02/2024 14:27

Some of our offers have a 14 day “cooling off” period. Not sure if it means you get your deposit back within 14 days if you change your mind….

Shivvyshiv · 16/02/2024 11:34

Thank you for really quick response. I think one is the current school and one external. So only 1 deposit. No idea on terms fees. Thanks again

Lovemyyorkies · 16/02/2024 11:31

@Shivvyshiv yes you can but will loose your deposit and after Easter a terms fee I believe.

SA3rules · 16/02/2024 11:31

Shivvyshiv · 16/02/2024 11:28

Hi, does anyone know if you can actually accept more than one offer? Independent schools. Recently was asked this however I do not know hence thought I may get insight on the forum!

Of course- if you have the money for the deposits and the first terms fees!
Although I think in one offer letter/ contract it mentioned about not accepting an offer anywhere else. Can't remember which school though.
But it would be a strange ( and slightly selfish) thing to do.

Shivvyshiv · 16/02/2024 11:28

Hi, does anyone know if you can actually accept more than one offer? Independent schools. Recently was asked this however I do not know hence thought I may get insight on the forum!

Wondermumof4 · 16/02/2024 10:28

@LanguageTestQuery we are personally waiting for 1st of March as for our first choice (dulwich) we are on waiting list and hoping it will move. Also would like to know what state option we have.
actually we will
probably make our final decision right before dead line which is 5th of March.

LanguageTestQuery · 16/02/2024 08:16

Would love some thoughts on comparing Whitgift and Dulwich. We’re trying to make up our minds and (location aside) would like to know any differences in feel, culture, homework, sport or anything that help the decision.
We’re also wondering how many followers of this thread are genuinely awaiting the 1st March state allocation or just mulling the private offers. It’s another element of ‘what now!?’ for us! 😂

QuiteAJourney · 13/02/2024 08:59

lolo99 · 13/02/2024 08:42

Admissions are definitely working and answering emails during half term.

That was our experience also last year - we sent out some rejections straight away and they all got back to us straight away, acknowledging receipt and, in most cases, asking which school we had chosen (at that stage, we had not completely made up our mind, so shared with them which schools we were still considering).

ItsMeHi48 · 13/02/2024 08:49

Thank you @ScreenPrinting 🙏🏻and @lolo99 ok I think then I’ll call them 👍🤞

lolo99 · 13/02/2024 08:42

Admissions are definitely working and answering emails during half term.

ScreenPrinting · 13/02/2024 08:41

For sure ItsMeHi48!! I will update if/when they reply 💪

ItsMeHi48 · 13/02/2024 08:32

@ScreenPrinting thank you for sharing that on here, it gives me some hope! I’m wondering if I should call FHSS but I’d assumed they wouldn’t be there during the half term. If you do happen to get a “live response” from them would you mind letting me know? I’d really appreciate it then I will call. Good luck to your DD - congrats on what sounds like a successful outcome for her x

ScreenPrinting · 13/02/2024 07:21

we’ll be releasing FHSS today which I hope benefits someone on here on the WL! Fabulous school so I’m regretting it already but just the wrong fit for DD.

Wondermumof4 · 13/02/2024 00:27

Do you know anyone that was on dulwich college waiting list and got offer later on ? Just trying to see if i should be hopeful or forget about it … Thank you 🙃

Summerma · 12/02/2024 18:18

ItsMeHi48 · 12/02/2024 15:54

@Summerma if you don’t mind me asking, was any of those schools FHSS?

Afraid not - I have a DS. Got my fingers crossed that you hear soon!

Laulau26 · 12/02/2024 16:16

Summerma · 12/02/2024 13:43

FYI admissions teams do appear to be working. I’ve received emails from all the schools we released, acknowledging receipt and asking for info on where DS is off to.

Thank you for letting us Know! Will try to be proactive abt our waitlist place.

Swipe left for the next trending thread