Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

11 plus support thread for exams 2024

638 replies

ElvenDreamer · 11/10/2023 08:55

Hi all,
Anyone fancy joining me for for an 11 plus support thread for those yr 5s who are probably just starting a bit of prep now ready to sit exams in September 2024?

State grammar is the angle I'm personally coming from but all welcome no matter if you're applying to private selective, state aptitude tests etc.

This will be my 3rd and final time of going through this and I've found support threads here really useful the previous times.

OP posts:
Thread gallery
6
Moglet4 · 02/10/2024 06:16

OutOfNameIdeas · 01/10/2024 22:00

Same here @MincemeatMaestro I’m thinking about the results loads but hoping that DD will forget about it for a while!

Our results aren’t due until 15th Oct, I’m jealous of those of you who will get to hear a few days earlier!

We’re only given a window but it’s almost certainly going to be 24th 😞

OutOfNameIdeas · 01/10/2024 22:00

Same here @MincemeatMaestro I’m thinking about the results loads but hoping that DD will forget about it for a while!

Our results aren’t due until 15th Oct, I’m jealous of those of you who will get to hear a few days earlier!

MincemeatMaestro · 01/10/2024 18:56

It's the 18th for us so we're halfway through the waiting period. Luckily we've got a busy October to distract us but I hope DS isn't thinking about it as much as I am!

Danascully2 · 01/10/2024 13:46

11th here too, though not until later in the day. I was very tempted to have a bonfire of all the material but have reluctantly kept most of the practice test books - most are only half completed so we can use them for the younger one. I was very happy to put them away though!

SquashSqueezee · 01/10/2024 12:08

10 days until results over here, had email through yesterday confirming they will be sent at noon on the 11th.

My son took great delight in throwing the heaps of practice papers etc in the recycling!!

BarqsHasBite · 28/09/2024 23:36

RandomUsernameHere · 28/09/2024 19:22

Hope all the DCs with exams today got on ok! DS said his was fine. I'm so glad it's over! Now for the anxious wait. Is that everyone done now?

I wish we were done - our target school exam isn’t until January! 😱

RandomUsernameHere · 28/09/2024 19:48

We've been told 4th October for one school and mid-October for the other.

troppibambini6 · 28/09/2024 19:33

When does everyone get results? We are before the 21st October for one school and before 31st for the main consortium. That's the official line but in previous years the consortium always comes first.

RandomUsernameHere · 28/09/2024 19:22

Hope all the DCs with exams today got on ok! DS said his was fine. I'm so glad it's over! Now for the anxious wait. Is that everyone done now?

SamPoodle123 · 25/09/2024 08:55

Yes, always good to have a variety of schools. At least one stretch, one middle and one back up.

BarqsHasBite · 25/09/2024 07:44

SamPoodle123 · 24/09/2024 20:03

I am not sure about HBS. But I have heard/read about children not getting into one school and getting into another more competitive school, so you really just never know. It all depends on the luck of the day of the exam. I would not stop at one exam, give her a chance to take others. Of course, it may be one is not prepared well enough, but it can be just a bad exam day.

Yes, it’s a sample of one but my friend’s daughter got in City of London Girls’ School having not made the grade at a couple of supposedly easier schools. It wouldn’t put me off trying for one or two more schools with a high pass mark but obviously you want some “easier” schools including a back up that you could live with. And HBS is meant to me one of the most competitive.

SamPoodle123 · 24/09/2024 20:03

Ubertomusic · 24/09/2024 19:04

HBS 1st round results are out and I'm just wondering how their score usually compares to what less competitive schools require? DD didn't get through to the second round and I'm just wondering if it's worth it sitting for other schools 🤔

I am not sure about HBS. But I have heard/read about children not getting into one school and getting into another more competitive school, so you really just never know. It all depends on the luck of the day of the exam. I would not stop at one exam, give her a chance to take others. Of course, it may be one is not prepared well enough, but it can be just a bad exam day.

Ubertomusic · 24/09/2024 19:04

HBS 1st round results are out and I'm just wondering how their score usually compares to what less competitive schools require? DD didn't get through to the second round and I'm just wondering if it's worth it sitting for other schools 🤔

SquashSqueezee · 22/09/2024 09:59

SpinningOutWaitingForYa · 22/09/2024 09:20

@SquashSqueezee glad it's not just me!

Can anyone who's been through it before help?

Say they scored 215. Would you still put a grammar first and state second?

Say they scored 210, would you still do the same?

I sort of feel you don't lose anything by putting g down a grammar, because if you don't qualify they just move to your second choice?

My DC came out ok and seemed quite positive but lots of people I've spoken to said it was hard/unusual format/didn't finish, so not sure if they're just in a (gorgeous) naive little bubble!

I’ve checked with some parents in my area who have had older children been through it and it’s as the previous poster says.

If they achieve the “pass” mark stated by the school they are eligible to apply so for us that is 220. If my son passes then we will put then the grammar as our first choice even though we know will need to score significantly more to have a chance. The reason being not he doesn’t get a place then it moves to his next choice which we know he will be offered as he’s at the feeder junior school and we live within 0.1 mile of a school.

from reading previous threads of the eleven plus threads you never know with the scores and what will “be enough” as so many factors so it makes sense to put as gores choice if they pass - providing they actually want to go to the school!

if you google your local authority you can view the official policy - ours if very long winded but in a nutshell is what it says.

I thought until recently that with the results we would get an indication of what the lowest offered score would be but obviously that’s not the case. So I’m guessing I’ll be pouring over the forums until March!!

My son was positive about both exam - he only had to sit VR and NVR GL papers but his mocks were so variable Im not reading too much into that.

BarqsHasBite · 22/09/2024 09:55

SpinningOutWaitingForYa · 22/09/2024 09:20

@SquashSqueezee glad it's not just me!

Can anyone who's been through it before help?

Say they scored 215. Would you still put a grammar first and state second?

Say they scored 210, would you still do the same?

I sort of feel you don't lose anything by putting g down a grammar, because if you don't qualify they just move to your second choice?

My DC came out ok and seemed quite positive but lots of people I've spoken to said it was hard/unusual format/didn't finish, so not sure if they're just in a (gorgeous) naive little bubble!

It you get a score that’s within the range of the acceptance mark for previous years (say, within 5 of the lowest acceptance mark) then Id say it’s worth putting the selective school down. And just put all the schools you apply for in the order of your preference.

If your DC score is, say, more than 5 marks lower than previous years’ acceptance mark then you have to decide if it’s worth likely wasting an option by putting it down still or if you still want to take a punt.

This will depend on whether you are confident of getting one of your other options. If there is a chance you won’t get any of your others then you should substitute the selective school for a dead cert backup option that you could live with.

Hope that makes sense!

SpinningOutWaitingForYa · 22/09/2024 09:20

@SquashSqueezee glad it's not just me!

Can anyone who's been through it before help?

Say they scored 215. Would you still put a grammar first and state second?

Say they scored 210, would you still do the same?

I sort of feel you don't lose anything by putting g down a grammar, because if you don't qualify they just move to your second choice?

My DC came out ok and seemed quite positive but lots of people I've spoken to said it was hard/unusual format/didn't finish, so not sure if they're just in a (gorgeous) naive little bubble!

Araminta1003 · 21/09/2024 19:16

@ElvenDreamer - I do wonder when these schools vary the papers so much from eg English heavy to Maths heavy whether they can then actually tell the difference in their intake and their innate abilities. Perhaps they do it on purpose so that they do not just have kids wanting to do STEM/Maths as they need to keep all the teacher employed.

ElvenDreamer · 21/09/2024 18:27

DS is home, said the maths paper was horrific so he's not holding out much hope, I guess it will depend how everyone else found it too. Marks out on Oct 14th which will give us a rough idea of chance, if there is a chance, then it will go on the secondary application and we'll wait the long wait to March. Good luck to everyone else with tests still to take.

OP posts:
Araminta1003 · 21/09/2024 18:24

I am on DC No 4 and got the older 3 through the 11 plus myself. I am still making it up…
DC4 reports in detail after every exam, but it means nothing. We shall see. DC sat 4 already and 2 have potential second stages. We are also sitting banding tests and music scholarships for comps. I am really proud of DC just taking it all in their stride and showing great resilience. They have commented that they are feeling happy they are excelling at school now too. We only started 11 plus prep in July. DC was not emotionally ready before that so I did not see the point to go for it, without their actual buy-in.

RandomUsernameHere · 21/09/2024 18:06

DD had hers today, she seems happy enough with how it went. I'm not reading too much into that though. She's very laid back! Now on to the final countdown for DS. Results are 4th October for DD and mid-October for DS.

pocketpairs · 21/09/2024 17:17

Examstressargh · 21/09/2024 09:23

My daughter was totally deflated after the 11+, I’m pretty sure after speaking to her more about the bits that she struggled with that she won’t have passed 😢

I kind of feel the same way. Guess we'll find out soon enough..

SquashSqueezee · 21/09/2024 14:33

Thanks both for your replies. That’s a relief on how the places are allocated as we live directly opposite the state school that will be our 2nd choice option if don’t get into the grammar.

My son seemed to think it went well and he’s also relieved it’s over!!

Per the dates on the schools website results are due to be emailed at midday on Friday 11th October so at least there is only 3 weeks to wait.

Like other posters on the thread I’ve got 2 younger children to potentially also navigate through the 11+ but will feel more prepared and know to start earlier etc!

BarqsHasBite · 21/09/2024 14:12

SquashSqueezee · 21/09/2024 09:28

This was what I was about to ask next as I really don’t understand the process but I’ve been just focusing on getting the exam done first.

The school my son will want to go to if he doesn’t get into grammar is over subscribed with first choice applications. We are on the next street to that school so we would definitely get in on the admission criteria but I’m not sure if putting it as the second choice makes a difference to that?

if the mocks are anything to go by my son will be on track for the 220 pass but maybe not a high enough score to feel comfortable he will most likely get in

The schools don’t know what order you have ranked them so you won’t be “penalised” for putting a school down as second/third/fourth choice. You will be offered your highest ranking school for which you meet the entry criteria.

ElvenDreamer · 21/09/2024 13:18

Welcome to the thread @SquashSqueezee my DC is sitting his 2nd paper as I type too.

Yes, to those who asked, if you are looking at state grammars, your scores will give you some idea if they have a chance, then you stick it as your top choice and pray!

OP posts:
SquashSqueezee · 21/09/2024 09:28

SpinningOutWaitingForYa · 20/09/2024 21:57

I'm a bit confused! We get the results from the 11+ and will know a score. But we don't know the lowest accepted score.

So do we put down the grammar as first choice anyway and hope? With catchment state as second choice?

Not sure what we're waiting for to apply?

Hoping my tired brain is making some sense here!

This was what I was about to ask next as I really don’t understand the process but I’ve been just focusing on getting the exam done first.

The school my son will want to go to if he doesn’t get into grammar is over subscribed with first choice applications. We are on the next street to that school so we would definitely get in on the admission criteria but I’m not sure if putting it as the second choice makes a difference to that?

if the mocks are anything to go by my son will be on track for the 220 pass but maybe not a high enough score to feel comfortable he will most likely get in

Swipe left for the next trending thread